1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Don't Get In-N-Out

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by yjeezle, Jun 25, 2011.

1. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

why are people obsessed with this restaurant?

it's good but it's not that great... and animal style wasn't something that was amazing as crap either.

i've had some good burgers... but this was kinda disappoint. maybe it was overhyped for me.

2. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

you fail at life, again

3. tphd

tphd Well-Known Member

It's good for a fast food burger, but certainly not transcendant.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

You are on a road trip, you have been driving for 5 hours, you are tired and hungry, you go to in 'n out. They serve you a delicious fucking burger just as they did the previous 50 times you ate there.

Its clean, it delicious, its quick and they have the hottest chicks of all the fast food joints. I would go animal style on some of them

5. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

Fat Burger > Five Guys > In-N-Out

6. 951socal

951socal Well-Known Member

why are people obsessed with this restaurant?

it's good but it's not that great... and animal style wasn't something that was amazing as crap either.

i've had some good burgers... but this was kinda disappoint. maybe it was overhyped for me.

i like the single with extra lettuce

and i only like animal style fries

and yeah its not that great but it's cheap the number 2 combo is something like $5, can't even get a combo at mcdonalds for that

7. Davaeoran

Davaeoran Member

People don't know good burgers. Just like people don't know good anything.. "can I get a bud light" "can I get a bud light", give me a break.

8. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

It's good for a fast food burger, but certainly not transcendant.

This. You need to compare it to other fast food joints, not actual restaurants.

1 person likes this.
  9. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

Anyone in the D FW area should check out Burger Bueno in Richardson. Nobody knows about it but it's great. They have gyros too but I've never tried them.

Smashburger in Addison has ok burgers but incredible sweet potato fries.

10. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Well-Known Member

Move to a location where they do not have In N Out Burger and it will become more clear why it is so loved. I think you appreciate something more when you can't get it on a regular basis. Now, that will soon change as I move to CA for school! I consider In N Out Burger one of the perks!

To provide a clothes analogy: it is like Lattanzi. You either love Lattanzi or don't get why his shoes cost so much.

You obviously don't get it, which is fine. Give me a double double and fries anytime. If I am really hungry, make it a four by four!

No chicken. No onion rings. Nothing else. Just make a great burger, great fries, shakes and soft drinks and you are good to go.

We've got a place here called "Hudsons." Just burgers, drinks, and pie for dessert. Not even fries! Walk-in only. Cash only. A nice burger, not the "world's greatest," as they claim, but a nice burger.

I still prefer In N Out.

1 person likes this.
  11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Surprisingly fresh ingredients for a fast-food place + balance rather than excess (unless you get a 4x4 or 6x6 or something). If you prefer 8 oz. burgers topped with foie gras, then you won't find In-N-Out particularly exciting.

12. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Best "fast food" type burger I've had is M Burger, which is built on a fast food model rather than a boutique type burger place or a famous bar known for burgers (ie. Kuma's or Lockdown.)

It's like a better big mac.

Fat Burger is gross, I'm sorry. It's bland... Much prefer $5 at diners.

13. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    partly it's california chauvinism. partly it's because it's a pretty good burger at a very good price that seems to be available right where you need it most (ie: at the 99/5 split just south of Bakersfield, where you've been driving for 3 hours already, have 3 more to go and there isn't anything else to eat within 50 miles that doesn't take a search). it's certainly not a great, or even good, burger, but there are times that red and gold arrow beside the highway looks like a signpost to heaven.

14. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

The In-N-Out in my area is consistently packed. The drive through is always at least 6 cars long. Not the best, but far from the worst. Grand opening in TX. Heh. One woman cried real tears after she tasted her first Double Double, the iconic two-patty In-N-Out staple, and some even decked themselves in full In-N-Out Burger clothing, donning t-shirts and caps they'd ordered online.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I'm the same way with Chick-fil-A. I've had it (like on a road trip when hungry and thought to myself "this is mana from heaven!" then on other occasions I'll randomly see it in a food court and force myself to buy it expecting fireworks and well its a meh chicken sandwich.

I like to equate In-N-Out as the westcoast version of the way guys from the North East/New England region treat Dunkin Donuts. There's a TON of emotional energy involved.

16. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I was in LA talking about this topic with some bona fide burger experts, and what I said and have always thought is this:

1) It's a pure west coast style burger - the sauce is a thousand island spread, the burgers are diapered and put in the box and it represents a diner-style burger more than other fast food places. McDonald's and the Big Mac is also a west coast burger IMO, but obviously an InO is fresher and tastier.

2) ^ Fresher and tastier - it's hard to get that kind of fresh produce on a burger consistently at any other fast food place. If you've ever eaten at a fast food burger place in the midwest, you'll know that the produce is just old and bad looking.

3) In n Out does presentation better than any other place - Five Guys burgers literally look like someone has stepped on them, InO's are clean and fresh looking, it's a much more pleasant sensory experience that probably makes them less low-class than other fast food burger chains. It is a food with a pure intent and makes few other statements, whereas Burger King and McDonald's, they are loaded up the ying-yang with marketing and the constant rotation of marketing spiel and 'healthy' shit one day and crazy shit the next day.
    In n Out is much like the way ramen is in Japan - stores with very simple menus, the ability to slightly modify your orders to taste, the high class rubbing elbows with the working class - because everyone is on the same plain to just eat some quick comfort food.

17. SField

SField Well-Known Member

partly it's california chauvinism. partly it's because it's a pretty good burger at a very good price that seems to be available right where you need it most (ie: at the 99/5 split just south of Bakersfield, where you've been driving for 3 hours already, have 3 more to go and there isn't anything else to eat within 50 miles that doesn't take a search). it's certainly not a great, or even good, burger, but there are times that red and gold arrow beside the highway looks like a signpost to heaven.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of a chain that sticks to a pretty honest business model. Perhaps its status has been elevated beyond the point that it deserves to be, but one could do worse than following their lead as a franchise.

18. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't blown away by In-N-Out. The first time I went to the West Coast I was told it was one of the places I had to try, and my experience was a bit of a letdown. It was a good burger, but the adulation struck me as a bit much.

19. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I have never been impressed with a hamburger (I've said this before), but for whatever reason I always find InO refreshing, and for that it qualifies as my fav fast food burger.

20. 951socal

951socal Well-Known Member

for the guys who have eaten at both hardees and carls jr. which do you prefer? its supposed to be identical but hardees tastes better for some reason, carls jr. is more of a cook it the night before then microwave and serve it to you place.