1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I can't wear plain white shirts anymore

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EL72, Oct 18, 2006.

1. epa

epa Well-Known Member

I have two white shirts (with surface texture, though). I wear them rather rarely (one of them I only wear with my summer linen odd jacket; the other one has some polyester in it -it was bought before I started to consult SF...- and sometimes I put it on hoping to wear it out...).
    When I wear a white shirt with a suit, sometimes people here in Spain say that I look like a U.S. lawyer...

2. Percy Trimmer

Percy Trimmer Well-Known Member

If you wear a white shirt on a regular basis in the UK it is probably because someone has told you to. They belong to the corporate uniform and middle management. London policemen wear them. We had to wear them at school and now we'll decide for ourselves what to wear and it will not be white.

Trimmer

3. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I also believe there is a cultural dimension to the white shirt question...
    If you have been raised in a country where schools uniforms are the norm ,you're more than likely fed up with the white shirt theme and with good reasons!!!
    You're likely to be inclined to try an everything but white shirts policy....
    If you have the right complexion ,white shirts are sexy and can help to wear pinstripes/chalkstripes without looking a mess...
    With or without a tie or a jacket ,white shirts if tailored always look the part...
    Elegance is always simplicity...
    My mother used to tell me "If you have to explain the cultural reason behind your choice of clothes ,there is a problem...Elegance is always coming without any effort or commentaries...."...
    Personally ,cream is not at all my colour ,i look like a ghost in it,the same for ivory....
    You have to try to avoid unsuitable colour to your skin tones...
    Anyway,There is no real etiquette as long as you feel comfortable in your clothes....

4. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

White has, indeed, become far too mundane and boring for me in my middle-age years, yet it clearly has a place. I wear a white shirt now about once a month. My shirt wardrobe now consists primarily of stripes and colors. Many (if not most) of my colored shirts have contrasting collar and cuffs. In fact, until earlier this year, contrasting collar and cuffs was my dominate look. I still love it; for some reason, colored collars aren't as formal or appropriate to me for the business environment as white, testament to my abiding belief about the primacy of white.

5. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

If you wear a white shirt on a regular basis in the UK it is probably because someone has told you to. They belong to the corporate uniform and middle management. London policemen wear them. We had to wear them at school and now we'll decide for ourselves what to wear and it will not be white.

Trimmer

Rebellion is fine as long as there is sense and meaning to it. However is there sense and meaning to you wearing ripped jeans and flip flops because you want to rebel against the rules?

Right throughout the 19th century the white shirt was the symbol of the well dressed gentleman. In the age of the white detachable collar, that is why professional jobs were called "white collar jobs". White shirts were the symbol of proper and immaculate dress - a shining symbol of civil decorum and respectability. That is why school children are to this day expected to follow this age old tradition. That is why you wear a white shirt with formal dress of any kind.

If even then you insist on being rebelious little schoolboys it is your choice...

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

There's nothing better than a crisp white shirt in 200/2. Nothing looks better sans-tie. I love blue for my jackets, but I feel it's too utilitarian for a dress shirt. White looks much sharper.

7. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Plain white shirts used to be a staple in my wardrobe, but I have gradually migrated to white shirts with at least some surface interest to the cloth. Still, if I had all the money in the world, my wardrobe would contain both.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I'm coming back to the white shirt after a long period of antipathy and indifference.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I'm coming back to the white shirt after a long period of antipathy and indifference.

Are black suits next? [​IMG]

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Are black suits next? [​IMG]
    No. Never was into those in the first place. But black shoes ... maybe.

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Finally broke down and started to buy white shirts again, after getting every blue/lilac variation I could find over the last few years. I'm up to two now but can't pull the trigger on wearing them yet. Maybe if I line up a few interviews that will change.

Actually, I do still wear my old Polo oxfords with jeans and a jacket on Fridays. Maybe that counts.

12. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

For years, I wore ecru, but didn't even own a white shirt. I've recently begun wearing white again. I now own 2 spread collar white shirts, with surface interest, and several white OCBDs.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I'd only been wearing gingham, stripes, or checks for the past 5+ years so this year is the first that I started to have some white shirts made and will wear those this fall more than my non-whites. There's something classic and just right about a perfect white shirt

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Cream is often a nice substitute for white, and with some tones it's superior.

15. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I feel the same way as manton and Get Smart. After a long period of wearing colored and patterned shirts, I've come full circle back to often reaching for thew white shirt. There's something very powerful and compelling about a nice white shirt that just can't be matched with any other color, and especially not with patterns. I think it depends on the image you want to portray. If you want to portray the image of a strong, dependable, and serious man - you can't beat white.

16. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

I feel the same way as manton and Get Smart. After a long period of wearing colored and patterned shirts, I've come full circle back to often reaching for thew white shirt. There's something very powerful and compelling about a nice white shirt that just can't be matched with any other color, and especially not with patterns. I think it depends on the image you want to portray. If you want to portray the image of a strong, dependable, and serious man - you can't beat white.

True, but I still find that I wear colored (mainly blues, but also pink) and patterned shirts much more often than white, ecru, etc.

17. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

Great topic. I too am returning to white. Crisp, quality, no beating it (for now).

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

As I said earlier, I have started returning to white as well. I should clarify by saying I have started buying white shirts but have not started wearing them yet.

19. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I have a few nice ones but every time I reach for one in the closet, it seems there is always a better option like pale blue, pink, even cream, or often white with a pattern in another color. Except for quasi-black tie evening events like weddings, I just can't bring myself to wear plain white shirts anymore. Too boring, too stark a contrast... They make me think of black suits. [​IMG] Who wears plain white shirts?

What's your complexion like? Maybe your unconscious is trying to tell you something? Dark hair, light skin? Blonde hair, blue eyes? Skin tone?

Usually, unconsciously we pick what is the best color for us. Maybe pure white is really a bad color for you?

20. Carey

Carey Well-Known Member

White is right!

There are times when I am meeting with customers, especially at a dinner where a suit is appropriate attire, I think a white shirt is the proper choice. Pattern or plain not less than 110s cotton, the shirt is white with low starch.

I like patterns and colors, but usually Monday is always a white shirt, if I am meeting customers. I think of the white shirt as showing proper respect. As the week wears on, I relax a bit and move towards colors and patterns. But dinner after six with a suit and tie - always a white shirt.