1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I CAN'T Believe Buying Dress "Tailored" Dress Pants is This Difficult

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by barracudapartne, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Rise on HY pants is to low, imo.

2. barracudapartne

barracudapartne Well-Known Member

uh -oh, that's no good.

I need these for conservative work environment.

3. Frankie22

They are not crazy low (10.25') -- just low for my tastes as I have broad shoulders and like my rise to be around 12' to minimize my top heavy shape.

Epaulet Navy super 120's. Check them out. I have many pairs of trousers from them, good stuff.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. barracudapartne

I have broad shoulders too but am only 5'9" so figured a lower rise would make me look taller while a higher rise would make me look stub bier.

5. barracudapartne

Slim Walt Trouser Super 120's Wool Medium Grey?

Looks like a worthy contender to Howard yount. Seems I need to figure out my rise preference. Just don't like looking like I'm carrying a load in my pants being only 5'9" with a high rise.

6. Frankie22

Depends on how you are setup and based on how broad your shoulders are. It's not like a 12' rise is crazy high. 5'9 is not tall, but it's not stumpy. I'd give Epaulet a shot.

7. barracudapartne

8. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Why don't you do a search instead of creating all these threads?

9. Frankie22

That's it -- navy is nice too -- I own many of the linens as well. Highly recommend,and if they don't fit ship em back.
    You're going to have a tailor alter them (the pants are specifically designed to leave room for this) so don't fret if they don't fit perfectly out of the box.

10. barracudapartne

Most of the classic colors navy and gray only seem to be available in 2 sizes. Some pants only have one size option.

Do you find that they are frequently out of stock of average sizes?

11. barracudapartne

Would I always just want wool? It's for consulting.

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Their policy says that they don't issue refunds, only store credit. Is that true? I would try these otherwise.

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

They're still great, but harder to find on discount and they retail for considerably more than Howard Yount.

As well as HY I would also recommend Epaulet, in their Tapered Rudy fit (or Slim Walt if you're skinnier), I'm very happy with a pair of blue chambray trousers I got from them.

14. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Hmmm. If you're counting on anything not changing all I can say is don't hold your breath.

Everything changes. The question isn't if by how much and when.

Cuts change. Fabric changes. Hell the stuff you buy will colour shift a bit over time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  15. Frankie22

A lot of the colors are available in one or two sizes because they sell out of the key sizes -- you might be able to ask them if they can order for you (if it's a non season staple fabric/color, of course)

Wool, to me, is the most versatile textile -- if you need to be "safe" and conservative go wool. A super 120's can be worn year round.

HY has more options and better colors -- for me the rise is to low -- at 5'9 it is probably not to low for you.

Either option is worth a try, just bite the bullet and order a pair. If it does not work out sell them on the mens classified or simply exchange for a shirt or some fall accessories.

16. Frankie22

I've been pushing Epaulet hard also. I also own the chambray and I love them.
    2' cuff with loafers paired with a midnight navy sc = teh look.

17. Frankie22

I retured something for a full refund -- let them know you are an SF member.

I don;t mind either way, I can always find something I want to buy credit or not!

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Did you actually try on the BB Madison fit slacks? I ask because you have described most of the pants you tried on as "nut-huggers" and too tight. Also, becase the SA at BB told me the only difference between the Regent cut and Madison cut gabardines is that the Regents are more tapered from the knee down. I have similarly found the Madison cut gabardines to be a conservative slim fit and nothing like the Madison cut suit pants.

19. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Rudy looks to be all out of stock at the moment :confused:

12.5" thigh on the Walt is a little scrawny for me.

20. Frankie22

Get them let out -- plenty of room and fabric is not as issue as long its a wool.