1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt, Dec 21, 2008.

1. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Don't believe it. Stay in really good shape. Stay out of the sun. There's some good years left in you.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Fucking christ Ryan, man up. 34 is nothing. You could legitimately whine if you were like 75, then you'd probably well be off the market, but 34? you are fine man. Just keep yourself fit like the other guy said, pluck those white hairs, get your teeth whitened, don't dress like a slobby 20-something asshole from a club, you're as good as gold. Swag is as swag does. I am turning 30 in a few months and I feel like the swag juice is pumping through my veins so fast I will have a swag attack, and it might last for the next 25 years.

3. paperfingers

paperfingers Member

Really? You guys pluck your white hairs?

4. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I love my white hairs as long as they stay north...

Salt and pepper look great on a man..

George Cloney and Richard Gere have done quite well out of it..

Nothing worse than a fifty something man with jet black hair..

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a stretch. However, I think grown men should wear their greys with pride.

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

I broke up with my ex sometime in May. Every now and then, we texted each other but nothing else. At first it was tough, but eventually I was able to move on in the sense that I was able to stop thinking about her as much and I had sex with other women (no real interest in other relationships though). So like 4 nights ago, I get a text from her telling me she misses and she would like to get lunch. Now mind you, in this text she starts using pet names she hasn't used since before we broke up, and even hinted at the possibility of future hook ups. When we broke up, I was still very much in love with her and I have to be fully honest and say that I was excited to get this text. So she texts me a bunch of times since then and I text her back, and then today I basically asked, "is this about us being friends or possibly something more?" she replies with, "Sorry if I lead you on but I want to be friends." :fu: WTF. Now I'm back to ignoring her. Luckily this time it'll be easy to get over, but seriously, she needs to have her phone privileges revoked.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

i have minor depression currently, facing situations like that ^

i have ignored both text/call so far but deep down inside i want her to try and get in contact with me. i feel like if she makes the next effort to, maybe it's a sign?

anyways, i have been keeping myself busy but perhaps not enough b/c the moment i am back at home, i am back in my sad state of mind.

anyways, it's basically been a month now since the breakup and i only started to fully ignore her since last week with small occasional texts/calls before that.

i felt really good to be honest at the beginning, but right now i feel like shit for some reason. i am not sure what exactly hit me that made me break to a million pieces.

also, we both still have somethings of each other we are meant to give back and i am not sure when that will be, this includes some money from our old rent deposit, etc.

oh, and i got drunk the other night with friends and remember how much i hate alcohol [in large consumption's]. i almost drunk texted her too . . .

8. WhoKnewI

I should probably read your whole story, but basically don't hang on to that hope. It'll suck for a while, but go out with friends and have fun. Honestly, once you fuck another girl, you end up feeling a lot better.

Also, if you feel the urge to text her, just delete her number from your phone. I guarantee you you will forget it in a week.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

not a break up thing but I blackout texted some girl the other night at 2AM, walked to the bar she was at alone and have no idea what I said to her...haven't talked to her since, lol. mission abort.

10. WhoKnewI

Serious question: If you're sober enough to send out a text, and then walk over to the bar, is it really drunk texting? I have never once sent out a drunk text because if I am drunk, I can barely sit up/stand up let alone whip out my phone and text out a semi-coherent sentence. I think whenever someone says they're sending out a drunk text or whatever is aware of exactly what they are doing and just using the whole drunk thing as an excuse when shit inevitably goes bad.

11. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

idk I black out absurdly easy these days so I don't really know. but I sent her a bunch of random letters in the process of trying to ask where she was...lol.

12. impolyt_one

I'm surprisingly capable with technologies when drunk, check out my post count on here and sufu.

13. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^

Same. Though I occasionally get some fat thumbs and send a text to the wrong person late at night. It worked beautifully one time but has led to a host of problems otherwise. Ah well.

14. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

Touch screens have saved my ass on several occasions. When I get really fucked up and want to do something stupid, I just don't have the precision to type on them.

15. jenlain

jenlain Well-Known Member

I know the feeling and was in the same boat recently. I'm also 34 and recently ended a long-term relationship. I was glad to end it and don't miss her, but I relate with the feeling of having missed the boat. Take a deep breath. There is a great article by David Wygant about "wife hunting". I'm sure you can find it. Don't get a sense of urgency and marry the first thing you find. Work on yourself first. Give yourself 4-6 months to really get past the ex, start some new hobbies, etc.

If you have not already done so, burn everything that reminds you of her, including pictures, gifts, bedding, etc.. Delete her contact info from your phone/computer. Paint your house. Workout like crazy. Challenge yourself to achieve something you never thought you could do. Then do it. Alone.

16. dune

dune Well-Known Member

A while ago I was sitting behind a girl who was trying to send to send a text while drunk. She spent a minute typing mmmmmmm and then deleting half of it, before giving up on that.

That's what I call drunk texting.

17. poena

poena Well-Known Member

man, i feel you. i'm in the same boat. it's been going on for a while for me as well.

18. impolyt_one

I just got a fb msg from my ex, one that really tore me up badly after the breakup many years ago. We had been talking a few years ago but now I'm obviously in a relationship. Really should've not talked to her again in the first place, because now I have to tell her sometime soon that we just can't talk anymore. Gonna be living across town from her for the rest of my life, whereas up until now we've been in different countries for the past 7 years since we broke up. It sucks, a lot. I was very in love with her, but that is long ago and too far gone to even try to get back.

19. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Bah, I genuinely want to be friends with my ex, but she asked me point blank today if I could accept her dating other guys and the fact that we won't get back together. It's been a while since we split and I'm more resided to a reunion not being in the works. And I've got no legitimate reason to object to her dating (hell, she should be). Yet I still couldn't honestly answer "yes" to either question. I know that once I'm able to accept a 100 percent platonic friendship with her, who she dates or hooks up with won't be an issue outside of wanting them to be OK dudes. We haven't talked much lately, but we agreed today that communication right now is a bad idea. Still sucks, because she's absolutely worth building a friendship with. With past girlfriends, I got to the point where I had no interest in maintaining even a facade of friendship, let alone care about who they were dating. Hasn't been so easy with this one.

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Yo man, let me know how it turns out b/c I am in the exact same situation. After weeks (month?) of ignoring ex after she said she needed a break, she finally emailed me asking if I would like to take the puppy for the month like we agreed, every other month we would take turn caring for the pup. The email was literally once sentence long saying how I just disappeared cold and included the word "Anyways", which gives me the feeling like she doesn't care?? huh, reading into too much??

The worst part of me always thinks that this girl probably needs someone to babysit while she goes do her thing. The other part of me believes she still wants to maintain our friendship or w/e.

I have listen to all the wisdom you all had to offer also and it seems to be paying off, at least I feel so.

Not sure whether to reply back to email or continue to ignore. Full disclosure, I am actually mailing her a "care package" this Friday, sending back some of her belongings, money, and toys as it will be the pup's birthday very soon.

WTH am i doing with my life :ugh: I honestly feel like this some Hollywood screen written crap where I experienced some divorce, we share a child and I'm trying to be the good father while she is exploring her opportunities. Yeah and I keep telling myself that she's a nice girl

*dead*

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011