1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I bought 3 Tom Fords and I feel terrible about it.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by intense2b, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

For another alternative, try Suit Supply. I checked them out today and they have the closest thing to TF around and their prices are good.

2. wwh270547237

wwh270547237 Member

hallo what make you think that tomford ripped off edward sextons style?is fords style really build on sextons style? I've seen in many forums that a lot of people said‘’ Ford's style is based on the Sexton style‘’how is the detailed situation,I'm really curious about him.

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

Yeah if you did that with me you'd get a 55,000 super 220 vicuna and silk which may come as something as a shock. Bespoke tailors or bespoke tailoring is not all the same, just like there are good makers/designers and bad. A high end tailor will not need to be micromanaged by a client. They will have accounts with Loro Piana, Scabal, dormeuil, zegan etc so they will have access to the same cloths that TF does, TF may even have exclusive cloths but so could a bespoke maker (I am working on a house tweed and a mohair now).

A good tailor or front of house man will make choosing from 1000s of cloths easy and even perhaps a delight, its not like all those books get thrown at you and the chap says" have at it" and he comes back at the end of the day. If you do not like selecting style, cloths and linings even these decisions can be deferred with success. Sometimes when this happens I think clients get a better result because the pressure is on me then to get it all right for them not just the fit, a client will on average spend half an hour selecting a cloth but I am looking at them sometimes for years so I have an advantage there.

TF's style to my eye is very savile row but made to fit a younger or more in shape client so it looks of course amazing. If you are in good shape to begin with and you went to Kilgour, Gieves or Kilgour you would look amazing.

Did you make a bad move? I'm going to say yes and no honestly, with TF you are paying for the retail space, the marketing and the big brand.....and this is not a bad thing really, its what got you there. The tailoring of those suits is excellent and so is the cloth, the style is very nice as well but you have not bought a unique one of a kind garment like you would with bespoke. This could be something that you do not value and you may not have the time, patience or inclination to go through the bespoke process and I totally understand that, if you are one of those people you just bought some really nice suits.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

oh.....this is a necro thread, well its an interesting one.