1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

i auditioned for jeopardy

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by matadorpoeta, May 26, 2005.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

i had an audition this morning for the tv show jeopardy. we had to take a 50 question written test (50 different categories) and i'd guess i missed about 5 to 7 questions. i didn't make the cut. actually, out of almost 100 people there, only 5 or 6 people made the cut. they got to play a mock version of the game; the rest of us had to leave.

i tried out for "greed" a few years ago too. I made the final 10, but then they cut all the guys that were left and only had the women stay for the final cut. casting is casting.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Cavalleria Rusticana, it gets you every time.

5 or 7 wrong out of 50 is still far better than the average American.

Jon.

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

hey, now you can sing:

"I lost on Jeopardy....bay-beh...OOOOOOh-OOOh-OOOOOOOh..."

4. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

Or in your case... I lost my Mind...In Saaaan Fraaanciscoooooo FB, you scarin me man... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Too bad you missed the cut, but lotsa props for trying out. You didn't by any chance find an appropriate spot to drop the most famous of all Jeopardy "answers": "who are three people who have never been in my kitchen." [​IMG]

6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Who are my wife, my girlfriend and my other girlfriend?

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

To bad Trebek wasn't around, you could have shouted a line from SNL Celebrity Jeopardy at him, which would be hilarious.

"You think you're pretty smart, don't you Trebek, what with your dago mustache and your greasy hair?"

Jon.

8. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

LOL

"I'll take Jap Anus Relations"

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

that was the first opera i ever saw. i wish that had been one of the answers.

i was planning on singing it but then people will remind me that i didn't actually get on jeopardy.

i'm glad i'm not the only forum member who remembers that song.

10. christian

christian Well-Known Member

Ken Jennings got defeatedin the Champions Tournament, where they brought back past champions. It wasn't even close, like how he lost last time where he dominated the show but lost due to the Final Jeopardy question.

Before this year, they had always restricted the number of wins to only 5.

The key to the game is the buzzer. It wasn't that Jennings was any smarter than everybody else, but that he was able to do the buzzer best. If you buzz in too early, you get locked out and can't buzz in again until somebody else first buzzes in. And, if you buzz in too late, you risk letting somebody else first answer the question.

11. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

whew. me too.

12. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

(matadorpoeta @ May 27 2005,14:10) ... i'm glad i'm not the only forum member who remembers that song.
    whew. me too.
    Well... I also did but I countered with my own. [​IMG]

13. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

I took the test a while back, passed, and made the contestant pool, but I think they said they wouldn't start calling people until summer. Even passing the test doesn't guarantee a strong chance of getting on the show. The mock game they make all the high scorers play is the determining factor, as they judge you based on presentation, ability to get the timing of the buzzer down (which really is the crux of the game, because if you passed the test, you probably know most of the answers fairly readily), and the demographic you fall into (they try to pick people who aren't the usual white male lawyers, teachers, and college kids).

I'm betting that I won't get the call, since I didn't fare too well in that segment (read: got a little nervous, not performed poorly... after people pass the test they only care about stage presence), but it was interesting, and there's always next year if I don't make it. Still, if I get on, I'll let people know.

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

B:

Good for you. That test is f***ng hard. I tried it three times when I was living in CA, and could never quite pass it.

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Aw, you could've been the best-dressed Jeopardy contestant.

16. Etruscan

Etruscan Well-Known Member

"What is 'disappointment', Alex?"

I took and passed the written test at a cattle-call audition here in Boston 5 years ago. I then progressed to the practice game session and did well enough with the buzzer and questions but had an idea that I wasn't winning the personality test.

There was a woman on my panel who was very animated (inappropriately so, in my opinion, as if she were auditioning for Let's Make a Deal) and perhaps in response to her hyperactivity my demeanor became very reserved--not to the point of catatonia, but enough, I believe, to disqualify me.

In any case, I was told that I might get a call within the next year about being on the show, but the call never came. I got a "souvenir" ballpoint pen, a certain amount of highly transient adulation from my colleagues at the office, not to mention the privilege of adding this story to my repertoire. These are all very well, but as for a fast track to wealth and fame, I'm in dire need of a Plan B.