1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hugo Boss is crapola

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oaw01, Feb 13, 2009.

1. vitaminc

vitaminc Well-Known Member

never had any bad experience with hugo boss suits.

2. Pariolino

Pariolino Well-Known Member

never had any bad experience with hugo boss suits.
    Nard.

3. oaw01

oaw01 Well-Known Member

BOSS does have some GREAT cuts tho...
    The Jam/Sharp combo is one of my favorites!
    I own one Passolini, and I can't say I liked the fit..

The HUGO *red* label (semi canvassed) is where you want to be, if you want the 'Yeah, I'm wearing a BOSS suit" effect on women.. (I think thats a myth haha)

That's the only reason why I buy some boss gear. I like their styling and cuts. For the prices they charge the quality does not match.

I own several shirt/pants from Hugo - I actually paid over $50 for their shit.

4. oaw01

oaw01 Well-Known Member

BOSS does have some GREAT cuts tho...
    The Jam/Sharp combo is one of my favorites!
    I own one Passolini, and I can't say I liked the fit..

The HUGO *red* label (semi canvassed) is where you want to be, if you want the 'Yeah, I'm wearing a BOSS suit" effect on women.. (I think thats a myth haha)

Hence, I had to pay over $100 for alterations - waist suppression, shortening the jacket - shit the arms are still too big. I thought I was getting a deal at $250 - I'm so wrong.

5. Jermyn Street Jonny

Jermyn Street Jonny Member

I got a Hugo Boss shirt today. Two-ply, french cuffs.

I really hope it's worth the $3.99 I paid for it...

You might be the only one in this thread to get his money's worth!!

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

i have 3 pairs of Hugo boss pants that hold a crease for ohhhhh.....a good 3-4 hours maybe.

Junk, glad i stopped at 3 pairs.

I bought them because they really looked great when i first put them on (pre style forum days) and they were much slimmer then most other pants i tried, but they really didnt hold up well at all.

7. Philip1978

Philip1978 Well-Known Member

+1 it's the bose speaker of the suit world.

[​IMG]

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

+1 it's the bose speaker of the suit world.

Is Bose really that bad? I'm no audiophile but I'm pretty happy with my sound system, although it did cost a pretty penny at the time. Any chance for a quick PM to talk about it? (I'm not looking to be flatly told it sucks. I think what i've got is good and I like it, I'm just curious why some people hate Bose)

9. vitaminc

vitaminc Well-Known Member

Is Bose really that bad? I'm no audiophile but I'm pretty happy with my sound system, although it did cost a pretty penny at the time. Any chance for a quick PM to talk about it? (I'm not looking to be flatly told it sucks. I think what i've got is good and I like it, I'm just curious why some people hate Bose)

Bose makes okay speaker, but for the prices they charging it's way too expensive. Very good marketing company that makes visually attractive products.

Their sound is typically flat and hallow due to its form factor. Quality of speaker depends a lot on quality of the driver, size of driver, cabin, etc. In the case of bose, it tries to use clever sound channel processing within its tiny frame to imitate higher quality speaker sound.

10. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

I just wanted to play devil's advocate here.

Alright then, as you were...

11. rioni

rioni Well-Known Member

All highs and no lows? must be bose? but seriously, the marketing on that product is just amazing. I mean, you ask anyone on the street what good speakers are and most not in the know would say "bose" Sure, there are much worse speakers out there but much like Hugo Boss, you could do 100% better for the amount you are spending.

12. dclloyd

dclloyd Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that the photo's I took of some pretty sharp Hugo Boss sport-coats for my upcoming B&S post are pretty much useless?? [​IMG]

I agree that they're not worth the retail price they try to charge, but do have some decent cuts that can round out a wardrobe.

13. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with their ties and pants. Shirts were OK, but I don't buy them anymore since i discovered MTM. I have 1 suit which from them which is great. Never had any of their stuff fall apart on me. I find you just have to be very selective with their suit/pant fabrics, most of them are pretty fugly, but some are nice.

14. micbain

micbain Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of Hugo Boss shoes before I found styleforum and they were the most uncomfortable shoes ever and this includes aldo shoes which made my heel bleed. I tried breaking them in for over a year haha. Good think nordstrom has such a great return policy.

15. rioni

rioni Well-Known Member

You returned them after wearing them for a year? that is one hell of a return policy!

16. sf_esq

sf_esq Well-Known Member

All highs and no lows? must be bose? but seriously, the marketing on that product is just amazing. I mean, you ask anyone on the street what good speakers are and most not in the know would say "bose" Sure, there are much worse speakers out there but much like Hugo Boss, you could do 100% better for the amount you are spending.

Good analogy. Bose speakers are overpriced and overrated.

17. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

I'm regretting my Hugo Boss Pasolini suit purchase. I just got it back from the tailor and I noticed the material is shoddy. Hell, my ebay suit - M Valentino is 10 times better and the Banana Republic stuff is also better. Well, I paid $250 and spent another $100 on alterations - I don't think the suit is worth more than $150.

I have paid retail price ($150) for many of their shirts, many of which look like crappy $20 shirts in less than 6 months.

18. micbain

micbain Well-Known Member

You returned them after wearing them for a year? that is one hell of a return policy!

It is, it really is. Probably one of the best return policies around!

19. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I bought a Boss suit for a wedding last year and have worn it a few times since. So far it's holding up well. I've paid twice as much for designer suits and put my arm through the sleeve lining on the first wear, but this one is holding its shape and texture well even after a dryclean. It also has a great cut which is what first attracted me to it.

I don't know if I'm going to be pilloried for defending a Boss suit, but my limited experience (of one) has been good so far.

20. AB01

AB01 Well-Known Member

How did Hugo Boss become THE coveted suit brand for young men who know nothing about suits? It's effing marketing genius.

The movie "The Terminal" really pushed it. Boss probably did product placement in many other places. Someone else in this thread said Boss is also in the movie Rocky.

It's marketed as high-end, so people will consider it high-end and pay more.

I really like the cuts of some of their shirts, and fit is very important. I haven't had anything exactly fall apart on me and I am considering a Hugo Boss sport coat that fits perfect with no alterations. Price tag was $750 which too much right now, but if I can ever find it again, it should be half-off or more with the way the economy is going. One of my favourite stores is closing. [​IMG]

Back on topic. I don't mean to defend any company that commits false advertising, but what are people talking about when they say their stuff is "falling apart". Is this after a wash? Does fall apart mean the threads are coming off or just creases not holding. Be more specific because we all need to know what to watch out next time we see Boss clothing at a store.

I have a French cuff, Slim Fit, Easy Iron Hugo Boss Martin shirt that fits perfectly, and I get compliments. I like everything about it (except the price). Is the shirt going to explode? Should I hand wash it?