• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HR Depts Suck

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously, unless its for benefits, payroll or any other sort of paper work, they are for the most part, useless. Especially when it comes to recruiting or promotions. It's like they could give a **** about the employees or the good of the company. They only care about making themselves fully in control.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Seriously, unless its for benefits, payroll or any other sort of paper work, they are for the most part, useless. Especially when it comes to recruiting or promotions. It's like they could give a **** about the employees or the good of the company. They only care about making themselves full in control.

What happened Jon?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember this one time I applied for some ****** porter position at a kitchen and the HR broad literally asks me things like "what are your hobbies?" As if those kind of questions were going to be a good indicator of how I would do cleaning mats and ******* steam tables.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's unfair but a common diatribe - HR often acts as the scapegoat or fuse in companies. You have to understand that HR needs to be extremely pragmatic and fact-oriented when it comes to many decisions and processes - they cannot get emotional about things or they would go nuts. Also, they often rely on information provided by the business(es) and execute on them.

HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's unfair but a common diatribe - HR often acts as the scapegoat or fuse in companies. You have to understand that HR needs to be extremely pragmatic and fact-oriented when it comes to many decisions and processes - they cannot get emotional about things or they would go nuts. Also, they often rely on information provided by the business(es) and execute on them. HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved
Do you work in HR? I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Do you work in HR?

I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

This is truth

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Do you work in HR?

I have been avoiding HR like the plague during my current job search and focusing on connecting with the potential hiring manager.

You're wrong. You should get HR on your side - be pleasant and polite, recognize when they're helpful. This is a false dichotomy - you can connect with the business person making the hiring decision, while making a good impression on HR.

I don't work in HR, no, but I work with HR a lot for all our recruiting efforts.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're wrong. You should get HR on your side - be pleasant and polite, recognize when they're helpful. This is a false dichotomy - you can connect with the business person making the hiring decision, while making a good impression on HR.

I don't work in HR, no, but I work with HR a lot for all our recruiting efforts.

rolleyes.gif
I've seen your posts you are an HR rat [/butter

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HR has a bad rap - mostly undeserved

HR is not all bad, but it deserves most of its bad rap, IMO.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't see any reason for HR. After years of seeing what they do, I think most companies would be better off just hiring temps to file the paperwork and do the hiring.

They're useless when dealing with employee issues and I've had them make things much worse after they got involved.

HR has fucked me over so many times and I've got no love for them whatsoever...

grit

Reaction score
Being an HR person is hard because the system is set up to make everyone hate you. Their job is to enforce stupid bureaucratic policies they had no hand in creating, and to make absolutely sure that when there's a labor problem, the company doesn't get sued. I've worked with good HR people, they are saints.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grit
Being an HR person is hard because the system is set up to make everyone hate you. Their job is to enforce stupid bureaucratic policies they had no hand in creating, and to make absolutely sure that when there's a labor problem, the company doesn't get sued. I've worked with good HR people, they are saints.

In other words: a total detriment to the company, since most of those rules exist only so HR people have jobs.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's gonna do payroll? I know for a fact GM's, controllers, and managers hate doing that ****.
laugh.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
In other words: a total detriment to the company, since most of those rules exist only so HR people have jobs.

No, the rules exist because some employee before you did something that was against the law or that lowered the company's productivity and profitability. Then, upper management or legal told HR to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads