1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Howard Yount or BB Black Fleece?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jandrewyang, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jandrewyang

jandrewyang Member

I've read opinions on both and I don't believe they typically get compared head-to-head given the wide discrepancy in pricing. End of season sales though change that. Are the two comparable head-to-head? Just looking at some basic wool flannel dress pants. I definitely appreciate the small touches that HY illustrates in the product photography. I've visited the local BB once, and only to look at the trench coats, so I don't know if the tailoring is comparable or not. I know price is a weak indicator of quality.

2. jandrewyang

jandrewyang Member

3. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I have never bought anything from BF, even though I lived across the street from one for a couple years. But I've bought quite a few things from HY across the spectrum, and I love them. BF has great fabrics and very solid construction, often a little better than HY, but not always. The deciding factor for me has been that the fit and some details are always a little off imo. Plus for the price, I'd rather have things made that fit perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

The early BF pants were very well constructed and fairly priced at $800. Not sure about construction or pricepoint now.

HY offers a more contemporary cut.

Both have excellent customer service.

One thing to consider is rise. BF has a long rise of about 12" and I don't think they've changed that, so try a pair on if you can. If you're a BF3, I have a few pairs from the early days kicking around.

lefty

5. jandrewyang

jandrewyang Member

That's odd... My perception of things was that BF had a more modern cut. Unless contemporary != modern in this context. It's difficult to get to the local BB here. At least for me.

6. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Well-Known Member

They're surprisingly comparable given how much higher BB list prices are. I own both and don't have a strong preference. The BB might have a higher rise by an inch or so - I'll have to measure. The leg openings are a very similar width.

That said, I prefer BB's striped cupro lining to HY's oxford, and BB's smoky mop buttons definitely best the black-with-white-smear ones HY uses. I do wish BB had a zipper fly like HY and no silly external locker loop.

Can't go wrong with either.

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

HY makes a great pair of trousers. BBBF also has good quality but I think the difference is that at retail their stuff can be overpriced for what you get.

With respect to pants, HY provides a contemporary, slimmer cut trouser, lower rise but not insanely low, great selection of fabrics and so on. BBBF do indeed have a higher rise.

So it all depends on what you are looking for. I have BBBF, HY and Epaulet Slim Walt. I prefer the Epaulet trousers slightly more over the HY and will sell my BBBF.

8. rick2833283

rick2833283 New Member

I have a similar question, but comparing Howard Yount to Borrelli/Valentini on ShopTheFinest...

$190 HY gray flannel: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants/products/lambswool-flannel-dark-gray

...versus...

$199 Borelli gray flannel: http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-51774-borrelli-gray-pants-size-32-us-48-eu.aspx
    or
    $179 Valentini gray flannel: http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-27163-valentini-sartoria-gray-pants-size-36-us-52-eu.aspx

Any thoughts on the quality, fit, etc of HY versus these STF options?