1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How We Used to Dress

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by comrade, Jul 14, 2013.

1. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Because I believe Unbel is an Econ prof.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

It was stupid of me to get involved in this discussion. We agree (I think) on the facts that SR prices, prices of luxury goods generally, and top 1% incomes have all risen much faster than the CPI since 1930, which are the only things that have any relevance to this thread. The discussion over the definition of "cheap" is off topic and boring. Sorry for the detour.

3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Unbelragazzo, are you an economics professor? If so, how do you make all these detours to clothing/shoe manufacturers? I guess teaching does afford a lot of time off.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Yes - but I try to keep my academic life somewhat separate from the clothing stuff I'm now doing. So as not to derail the thread any further, just PM me with ubr-specific questions.

5. archetypal_yuppie

I used to dress in abercrombie (HS), then polo/lacoste/sevens (college), then brooks brothers, then La Rukico, then crocket & jones, then edward green/G&G, then a little bespoke, then paul stuart & corneliani, then loro piana and cruciani. Thread back on track.

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Very good.

I was wondering what you background has been - but . . .

[​IMG]

I had a hard time getting past your photo.

(Perhaps you could experiment with another choice) LOL

7. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting way to see the difference in dress today compared to years past. It's a color image from Indiana University's Cushman photography collection, taken of a London crowd watching a street performer in 1961. Thanks to bmulford for originally posting the link to the Cushman collection (click photos to enlarge):

[​IMG]

Here's a crowd in London today:

[​IMG]

The contrast is even more striking, looking at a photo from London in 1914:

[​IMG]

Dress became more casual after World War 1. Think of the switch from stiff, starched collars to soft collars; fitted frock coats to draped lounge suits; tailcoats to tuxedos. It became more casual still after World War 2, and then again in the late 1960s. I often wish I could go back and browse the shops from times past.

The Cushman collection has some beautiful photos. Here's a wedding from 1942. For more, see: http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/index.jsp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Getting back to the matter of pants and pantsuits on women, I can recall not too many years back when Esther Williams arrived at a charity event at the Los Angeles Country Club. The old "Million Dollar Mermaid" was barred admission to the event because she was wearing a fashionable pantsuit. The rules of the club strictly forbade women in pants, and so she was sent packing. People were furious about this, and there was quite a public outcry over it. Of course, I was totally in favor of the Country Club--"Nice to see some people maintaining traditional standards," thought I. I wonder if they still have that policy in force.

Update: Just looked into this matter more. I said above "not too many years back"--turns out it was 1991! This happens to you as you get old. She was also the Guest of Honor at the charitable event!

I also see that she just croaked in June at age 91. Seems like everyone is living into their 90s these days, a most daunting prospect!

9. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Bookster- The British Royal family? Celebs?. Not likely. Bookster was a middle market OTR and MTM operation
    which catered to those in the UK and elsewhere who wanted affordable "Country Clothes" I thought the stuff looked
    like a stiff and poorly cut version of a venerable style. Compare Hackett, and Pakeman Catto for similar better designed
    traditional British clothing. And for the high end aficionado of that style, there is Holland & Holland and its' ilk:

http://www.hollandandholland.com/product_single.php?i=308&m=mens

10. archetypal_yuppie

Do people think that the photo is of me? Ha. It's someone's mugshot that I think is funny. It's better in a bigger size.

11. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Quote:I figured it isn't a photo of you. It is hideous however, and makes me want to wretch every time I see it.

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Now that idfnl has changed his, a_y now has the most aesthetically offensive avatar on the forum.

1 person likes this.
  13. archetypal_yuppie

I've come to think my choice of avatar has had an impact on how I've been perceived on the forum. People make visual associations with the avatars and apply them to their perception of the person.

I thought about changing it, but that is way too difficult and time consuming, so I embraced it.

14. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    +

15. binge

binge Well-Known Member

16. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Late 40s early 50s?
    No Ivy influence yet.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

That's "retch," you scurvy wretch! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist that!)

1 person likes this.