1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to wear a white shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

Also wanted to add the following, but my iPad is not letting me edit my last post for whatever reason...

Fuuma has compared your rhetorical style to Aristotle's. But above all others, I hear E.B. White in your tone. There was a man who obviously knew that he knew better than everybody else (and often he did). But he always blended personal preference with technical rules, presenting them both as if they were the same. Perhaps it speaks volumes, to his credit, that people adhered to his preferences so thoroughly as to forget the difference. I think this is the highest honor that one can wish for you and your personal effect on SF culture.

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Lately, I've become increasingly aware that my navy twill suit is so dark as to make it the least versatile item in my wardrobe. It seems to scream out for dark red or gray / silver patterned ties. As a consequence, I find myself gravitating toward my lighter than navy sharkskin...

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

2 of the 3 i know are around. 1 i am not sure.

4. in stitches

i honestly dont really have a whole lot to say on this matter, as my previous notions have been shattered in a sense, and im trying to figure out where i now stand.

i do find the contrast between mantons post and docs post to be highly interesting, as they are both excellent and knowledgeable MC dressers. at the very least it all makes me think twice about donning a white shirt, and is good knowledge to have.

5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Who comes up with ideas like white doesn't go with greens and yellows etc? Or rather how do you come up with these? Seems rather like subjective pseudoscience to me

6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Foo and Manton reached sartorial Nirvana.

7. in stitches

i imagine most of these ideas are found in various different books from authorities on classical mens dress.

i do hear white and yellow though as an issue. i think maybe they are too close in tone, and all the lightness and brightness might just end up washing out the whole look. whereas yellow on blue, is both a pretty combination, and provides proper contrast.

just my guess.

8. in stitches

i have been told that only vox has reached sartorial nirvana.

9. I am DIL

I am DIL Well-Known Member

My favourite shirts are all white.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Well-Known Member

Here's something cool to try, if you dare. I have a wonderful slim white Kiton shirt. It has nice high arm holes and a small spread collar. It has sort of a pique fabric. You would say it's a modern, less formal white shirt, but still in the formal family. When it comes back from being laundered, all pressed and everything - looking new, it's a thing of beauty. But one day I decided to wash and by hand and let it hang dry so it would have a slight wrinkled "used" look. I wore it with a pair of awesome light grey (almost blue) La Vera wool pants. Topped it off with brown shoes (sometimes cordovan) and light grey cashmere socks. I got lots of compliments. I think what it does is take an item people see as dressy and formal and "messes" it up. Somehow, the contrast (messy-formal) is very nice and intriguing. Try it. But I got to say, the first time I did it, it was hard to mess up that nice professional press job. I know the more traditional guys out there will not approve of this. But one reason I did it is because I think I dress nicely (or so I am told) and I don't want the reputation of being a dandy.

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Indeed. Wear a purple tie with a white shirt (even though Manton said you shouldn't) and most people won't say a thing. Change the tie for a yellow one and you will get weird faces... they just clash.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Works for the Donald, works for me.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    2 people like this.
  13. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't.
    He's conveying his experience. You don't have to listen.
    Most of it doesn't apply to me. But i'm interested in clothes and i'm interested in the experience of real people.

This is not coming from some shop saying "you can wear a white shirt with absolutely everything!!!!So versatile!!!111" or a blog needing to make up "The 10 Men's Essentials TM".

His logic is interesting. I can pick and choose what applies to me.

1 person likes this.
  14. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

That yellow almost looks like light orange, it's pretty dark. Personally, I still don't like it...

15. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Well-Known Member

Call it what you will. My point is that he "conveys his experience" in a tone that suggests he received that knowledge on stone tablets at the top of a mountain. This tone makes it occasionally hard to distinguish opinions from statements of fact, or statements about aesthetics from statements about social correctness.

Like I said, I enjoy his writing, and I think there's a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from it. Nowhere have I said that I choose "not to listen." In fact, if you'd read my post more carefully, you'd have seen that I was actually paying him a compliment.

3 people like this.
  16. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

well, we could just put IMHO ahead of every sentence but this whole fashion business is subjective anyway so it's a given. There are no real rules.

this is interesting too

1 person likes this.
  17. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Manton just called me a stooge. And now I have to start buying shirts that are not White.

cdn2.gossipcenter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_header/photos/daniel-radcliffe-paris-woman.jpg

Yellow looks fine to me.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with Fuuma's and others points about SW&D and white shirts. I was a Dior fanatic in college in the heyday of Hedi Slimane (who is now making Yves roll over in his grave). I wore mainly white shirts then with black Dior suits. The blue shirt was a mark of the conservative businessman. I wear mostly white shirts now, while I am not a businessman, I am a part of the business world I just still appreciate a look that is clean and simplistic. I gravitated towards it then when I was at a different stage in my life, and now at a new stage I still have the same eye for what it is that I like with a bit more age on me. Would I go back to wearing skinny black suits? No way in hell. We all grow up and move on.

19. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member