1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to sell your ideas

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by KPO89, May 18, 2011.

1. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Yep...that is exactly my scenario. I guess the only option is to take classes to design them.
    Yes. In order to start I had to do basically everything myself. Even things I had no clue how to do. If you really want to create something, people who would give you money want to see that you can actually create something they can sell

2. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Well-Known Member

Vaynerchuk's parting words before opening it up for Q&A: "Ideas are shit. Execution’s the game." This draws applause, but Vaynerchuk doesn't pause. He's, again, fired up. “The next time one of your friends rolls up on you and says, "Oh, crap, they stole my idea," punch them in the fucking mouth." http://www.siliconprairienews.com/20...orning-edition

3. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

Yep...that is exactly my scenario. I guess the only option is to take classes to design them.

Is this something you can outsource?

4. oman

oman Well-Known Member

Aren't we suppose to keep the thread shitting to a minimum in this forum?
    no, i think you're confused - we're supposed to keep the shit threads to a minimum

5. KPO89

KPO89 Well-Known Member

Is this something you can outsource?

I have seen certain companies that offer app development but I am not sure how comprehensive this would be.

6. michaeljkrell

I have seen certain companies that offer app development but I am not sure how comprehensive this would be.

Put up the project for bid on odesk or elance...

7. Wolfador

Wolfador Well-Known Member

If you do not have any design or programming experience you will probably have to pay someone to create the app for you. It will be hard to find a programmer of quality to do a pure profit sharing when they are doing all of the work and you simply had the idea. I am a part-time iOS developer and people come to me all the time with ideas and want me to build it and split profits 50/50. [​IMG] You might be able to find someone who will implement your idea and simply pay you a 5-10% royalty but it would have to be a really good idea where they can make enough profit to justify that. (Apple already takes 30% off the top on any app sale)

8. coop86

coop86 Well-Known Member

There has to be a forum or place where you can higher independent programmers to build programs. Just make sure you have a good non-compete agreement that they sign so they don't just clone your app after you pay them money to create it.

9. michaeljkrell

There has to be a forum or place where you can higher independent programmers to build programs.

Odesk and elance...

10. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-Known Member

The less you develop the idea on your own, the more equity you will have to give away in order to get help. Thus you will be diluting your own interest in the project.

Also, for app ideas --- I know a college professor who is the former CEO of a big tech company and does a little VC, he's looking to brush up on his programming skills with an App -- I would be happy to pass his info along.

11. KPO89

KPO89 Well-Known Member

The less you develop the idea on your own, the more equity you will have to give away in order to get help. Thus you will be diluting your own interest in the project.

Also, for app ideas --- I know a college professor who is the former CEO of a big tech company and does a little VC, he's looking to brush up on his programming skills with an App -- I would be happy to pass his info along.

Thanks I may take you up on that.