1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to remove tongue pad adhesive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by buddy72, Jul 23, 2010.

1. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

I got some AE's at a thrift store which had tongue pads which I removed. How do I remove the adhesive residue?

I have tried:

soap/water
    paint thinner
    acetone
    Goo Gone
    cooking oil

still sticky ....

2. trader

trader Well-Known Member

you could glue a thin piece of matching leather over top of it

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

The paint thinner should work, but you have to work it and get new cloth on each swipe.
    Failing that....try varsol on a terrycloth, and rub me boy-o until she comes off.
    Mineral Spirits are another option, but you won't need that.
    Let dry for 1 hour after.

4. kraftar

kraftar Well-Known Member

Olive oil always works for me... you need to rub it in for a few minutes. If there's alot of adhesive then you might need to do this a couple of times.

I've also heard from people who use peanut butter to remove adhesive from glass (car window stickers, etc.) but I've never tried it and I'm not sure I'd want to put peanut butter on my shoes.

5. scooby-doo

scooby-doo Well-Known Member

Just this morning I removed the tongue pad from a pair of pre-owned shoes. I tried nail polish remover but it did not remove all the adhesive. I then used a product called "Goof Off" made specifically to remove gum, adhesives etc. It was excellent - all sticky residue is gone.

6. Mr.K

Mr.K Well-Known Member

If GOO GONE does not work, there is a product called Grandmas Remover that is supposed to do a good job on removing sticky residue.

7. MitchConner

MitchConner Member

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if any of the above mentioned adhesive remover remedies (Goof Off, Goo Gone, acetone, etc.) harm the shoes?

I have a pair of Johnston Murphy dress shoes that had tongue pads in them. I removed the pads which were ridiculously worn, and rubbed out a lot of residue, but there's still a tiny amount making them sticky.

8. simplec6

simplec6 Member

3m Adhesive Remover is better than the Goof-Off, Goo-Gone, etc, in my experience.