1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to quit?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by leftover_salmon, Feb 1, 2011.

1. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

dont be a pansy...burn bridges.....tell em all to go fuck themselves and make a big scene...smack the secretary on her ass on your way out. Alpha. as. fuck.

Or a simple meeting with the boss...tell him youre quitting, dont bother with the 2 weeks.

2. jays978

jays978 Well-Known Member

Just grab a room with the manager you directly report to and tell him/her you were offered and accepted another opportunity. The manner in which it's going to be received is out of your control. Come on brotha! You're in trading! Congratulations.

If HR needs a resignation letter on record they will let you know.

3. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Well-Known Member

So I ended up telling my MD (a 35-year old guy I sit within arms reach of and spend half the day joking with and the other half working for). I pretty much struck him speechless and we then had an open conversation for an hour and a half in which he repeatedly told me that it wasn't too late to not quit and that I could stay if I wanted, and asked what it would take to keep me here. I'm supposed to talk to the group head tomorrow (he left while I was talking to the MD) but I'm betting that conversation will be a lot shorter and less amicable. In any case, I'm glad it went so well.

I will say that it was the hardest conversation I've ever had. As I was talking to him, it struck me that I was losing a few genuine friends and I am quite sad about that.

4. Risque

Risque Well-Known Member

It's a small world dude. As long as you didn't t burn your bridges (which sounds like the case) and you'll likely cross paths again. Take it as a positive that they actually wanted to go to lengths to keep you.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Pretty much all the advice has been given (and thank you for them! Such information is always useful especially to college students like myself)

Just wanted to say congratulations to the OP on your new job and being able to initiate your resignation so smoothly!

6. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

Happy the situation went reasonably well for you.

Out of school (last year) I had a pretty intense convo with my finance manager that I wasn't doing my job well. It was hard to swallow, but was pretty much the truth because I hated my work and had no desire to be there. The next day I gave her my letter of resignation, effectively immediately. That was the end of it and I've been happier since. Best of luck.

7. binge

binge Well-Known Member

Go to your local record store, buy a copy of this and give it to your boss:
    [​IMG]

8. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

As I was talking to him, it struck me that I was losing a few genuine friends and I am quite sad about that.

You have to move forward. What else can you say?

If anything, try not to be personal with those you work with.

9. 6GOLD.BIGCARTEL.

6GOLD.BIGCARTEL. New Member

Tell them that you recieved an offer that you couldn't refuse in New York, and while you like working there it's just the best choice for your future. They'll understand, and if they don't, then fuck them anyway.

This.

10. denyalmartin

denyalmartin New Member

Nice post. I got so used to brainlessly procrastinating that it left me with no sense of self. confusion and feeling really fake and worthless. So basically its a better idea in the long run to start using your time better.

11. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Well-Known Member

Tell them that you recieved an offer that you couldn't refuse in New York, and while you like working there it's just the best choice for your future. They'll understand, and if they don't, then fuck them anyway.

+1000

12. GHo

GHo Well-Known Member

so, how'd this play out? how did your direct manager take it?