1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to improve physique so clothes fit better? (wide hips)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by 1up, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Gents,

What can I do to improve my physique, my waist is smaller compared to my hips and this throws off a lot of my outfits (suiting especially).

Do I need to...

1) Continue to lean out, hopes that hips/butt will reduce (or is it unlikely they'll change much as my body is shaped that way?)

2) Increase the size/thickness of my lowerback/obliques/abs to make the discrepancy look less apparent?

Thanks - much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With pants on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, most pants get tight in the hips/butt before they do in my waist.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

3. karanimal

karanimal Well-Known Member

widen your lats and your shoulders, it'll make your waist appear smaller. Drop some bodyfat, id say drop down to about 8-9% and stay there. Also, dont train your obliques directly.

Source: i have wide hips of peace and compete as bodybuilder & physique athlete

4. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Thx. What BF am I right now? 14-15% ? Pics are unflexed.

Repped.

Wait wut,,,

1 person likes this.
  5. karanimal

karanimal Well-Known Member

Aware you cheeky kunt

Yeah 14-15% + 5-10lbs of water, mirin traps, you'll be aesthetic around 10%

Would rape if given the chance....

6. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Your physique looks pretty proportionate to me. In fact, I think many men would envy it. Since hip width is largely determined by skeletal structure, probably you are a candidate for MTM or bespoke suits.

8. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Not sure it's something worth envying...makes finding pants a real pain. Everything gets tight in the thighs/butt/hips before the waist.

Makes the overall aesthetic look off, almost hourglass-ish

9. JLibourel

^Correcting problems like yours is precisely what good tailors do!

10. SplasH

SplasH Active Member

I second the working on shoulders idea. Working lats and delts will give you a V shape that takes attention from the hips. Don't forget to also work out the lower body to avoid the "chicken legs" syndrom.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. dacia1300

dacia1300 Well-Known Member

eat clen, tren hard, btw who was legs?

2 people like this.
  12. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

OP, you have a common 'athletic build' problem shared by guys with strong legs. It's unlikely you can increase or decrease the size of the body parts you mention, those dimensions are set by your bones and you already work out it seems. Unless you ONLY swim without kicking your legs or something, there's no way you build up your top and get decent cardio without building up your quads/ gluet.

The key is to wear the right clothes. It will take a lot of experimentation but my hunch is you'd do best to wear very dark denim pants, slim but not tight, to make your hips and quads visually recede. You don't necessarily want to pair that with a light shirt, since the eye will be drawn to the highest contrast which will be your waist (where the shirt meets the dark pants). I'd go for a medium dark shirt (i.e. denim shirt or military shirt) that has breast pockets, rolled up sleeves, a collar, and then some light fading in the shoulder area. That 'action' in the shoulder area will draw the eye to your best asset, and make the wide lower torso and hips/legs recede, giving you the V. If we're talking about unbuttoned blazers/sport coats, their flowiness in the hip area is your friend, and will draw the eye up to the structured shoulders.

13. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

my legs are fawkin joocy

14. Wirr

Wirr Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anything off with your hip/waist ratio.
    It's only clothing manufacturers that make clothes for people without butt and legs.
    Buy the pants you like and sew them smaller in the waist? Problem solved.

You can't do much about the width of your hip anyway.

15. dacia1300

dacia1300 Well-Known Member

what's your raw total brew? dyel?

16. brendabogle

brendabogle Member

901 North Shore Park & 12 Ave NE, St. Petersburg,
    You must join any good gym and start your work out under supervision of any fitness expert to stay in shape.

17. JLibourel

I would hardly say you "must" take that route. There are many paths to a good level of fitness.

Besides, for the cost of a couple of years' gym membership, you can assemble an excellent home gym where you can work out at your own convenience, something that will amortize itself many times over, and most of it will last forever. A lot of my equipment I bought 48 years ago. Moreover, all you really need to get started is a weight bench and a set of adjustable dumbbells if finances and/or space are an issue.

18. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem to the OP and have found that there are three possible solutions (on the clothing side) when it comes to suits:

1. Go MTM/MTO and take the trousers one size larger than the jacket when compared to OTR suits

2. Find suits which can be let out in the waist and seat enough to accommodate your glutes/quads without having to buy a jacket which is too big

3. Go with suit separates; SF affiliate eHaberdasher's house label, Benjamin, are probably among the better quality separates I've seen

I've just come to accept the fact that, genetically, I have thick legs. My goal has become to make sure that they stay "hard thick" instead of "soft thick" (and no, that wasn't supposed to be as dirty as it may have sounded).

1 person likes this.
  19. Thearkly

Thearkly Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  20. Thearkly

Thearkly Well-Known Member

I can't delete my comments.. Your hips are most likely due to your skeletal structure. You could try packing some wight on the shoulders, but really i doubt that will help. I find wearing anything slimmer than straightleg in Levi's accentuates my hips. You could try avoiding slim jeans.