1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to hold an open umbrella, which direction to point handle

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Oct 27, 2015.

When holding an open umbrella, which direction does the crook of the handle point?

1. Away from me

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Towards me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Left, when I hold it in my right hand

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Right, when I hold it in my right hand

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. No preference

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

In Paris Street; Rainy Day, perhaps the most prominent painting of a man holding an open umbrella, the main figure is holding the handle so that it is mostly pointing away from him. It is difficult to discern the handle direction of the other figures.

[​IMG]
    Photo of @squalortoballer

I had naturally assumed that it should point left, when holding it in my right hand, as that would present less of an obstacle if I were to run into something or someone in front of me. Also, it would show off my whangee handle more.

I spoke to my umbrella maker and he said the handle should point forward.

The handle direction is important as ideally the closure tab is hidden behind your head. Curiously, I don't see any closure tabs in Paris Street; Rainy Day. Perhaps they had not been invented at the time, or Caillebotte just didn't bother to paint them.