1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to give a Maid of Honor speech as a man?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mafoofan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

Cloves are illegal now? Why?

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Probably your fault.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Get your ass down to dc and pick some up. I still see them at tobacco shops

4. svd

svd Well-Known Member

Then she would be his brother.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

wtf happened to my thread?

6. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

talk about how you two know everything about each other, look at the groom, smile and say it again, "everything."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Well-Known Member

What is the big deal here? Talk about a fun time or funny story that people can chuckle about, then say something more serious about how happy you are for the two of them and some of the brides thoughts about the groom during their dating process or first meeting. Just because you are giving a speech doesn't mean you have to take the MOH's role and cry or anything.

8. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

Just talk about why she is so great and congratulate the couple. It's really not so hard to give these little speeches.

9. Sawdust

Sawdust Active Member

Remember the speech has to talk about the couple as well, not just yours and hers relationship. Especially considering the gender reversal situation.

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I don't think you realize how you really are just becoming a total cliche. Also, you certainly make it hard for anyone to change their opinions about you.

we're now one step closer to the 400 posts of a typical foo thread.

What will you wear?

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Editor needed at aisle 3, editor need at aisle 3, thanks.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Well, I gave the speech this weekend. I think it went very well, so thank you to everyone who gave honest advice. After thinking back on other such speeches I've heard in the past, I realized that many tend to over-emphasize the closeness or significance of the friendship between the speaker and the bride/groom. Instead, I aimed to discuss how wonderful the bride is and only discussed our friendship as a vehicle to achieve that (i.e. talking about how much she's always been there for me, etc.). I also wanted to make sure I put enough emphasis on the quality of the groom, so I made a concerted effort to not just to brag about the bride.

People seemed to like the speech a lot. A couple dozen or so approached me to tell me how moved they were. The father of the bride came across the dance floor to hug me right after I finished, which meant a lot to me. Very glad it's over!

13. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Sounds like the thought you put into it really paid off. Nice job.