1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to get onto a Board

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by patrickBOOTH, Sep 24, 2013.

1. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I suspect it is because in many nonprofits, a large portion of their operating budget comes from fundraising. That's why fundraising is a big part of the board's function.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Damn, I don't want to fundraise.

3. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

Why do you want to be a board member?

4. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

1: Find an organization you want to work with.
    2: Go to an event and or contact the org. and volunteer your time.
    3: Demonstrate the qualities you profess to have.
    4: Make yourself available to serve.
    5: Repeat steps 2-4.
    6: Discover the true meaning of futility and boredom.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

6. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Some organizations have junior boards for young member outreach and party planning. Each probably has their own requirements for obligations. Eg selling tickets, dues and etc.

Another idea is to get j and Fok to add you to the Styleforum board of directors. This might be the easiest route.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. Mattia

Mattia Member

I currently sit on two boards, and in both circumstances I was recommended as a candidate by someone that leads an industry think-tank type organization. I would recommend thinking about which industries could benefit from your trade-skills and then attend or speak at conferences and trade shows that target that industry. Don't miss the conference cocktail parties. It may take a year or two before the right person recognizes you as a great candidate, but given your described skill set, it will happen sooner or later.

Alternatively you can always write a big check to a non-profit organization.

D&O coverage is definitely "a must."

8. samadhi27

samadhi27 Well-Known Member

Especially for the fine arts. The New York Met, for example, has a young associates program. Not sure about the Philharmonic (but the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, for example, also has a young professionals program). It's a great way to become a familiar face to the boards of these organizations.

9. patrickBOOTH

There are three organizations that I could probably do more with that would lead me to being on their board, however their meetings and events are generally during work hours and I can't just leave work, willy-nilly to go to events. I reckon if I ask myself deep down why I want to be on a board is I like strategic planning, but furthermore I want to beef up my lack-luster resume a bit with experience just besides "I go to work and do a really good job".

Shout out to Fok, and J: Board Memeber for Hire!

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Well-Known Member

Well, that right there might be a problem. If you're a member of the board, most meetings/official events will be held during work hours. If your current job does not allow you to leave for those, then being a board member (at least an active one) may not be for you.

11. patrickBOOTH

I might be able to work something out because these particular events are industry related. Others I wouldn't mind taking vacation days for.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Why do you say that?

13. patrickBOOTH

Because I am more awesome than most people?

14. ter1413

:eh:

Reach out to JCPenney. They need someone like you!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

What an interesting question. How old are you, by the way, and could you give any better clue as to the industry you're in?

"Board" is a pretty broad term in some places, and I'm taking a wild guess that you want to be as close as possible to long, bespoke oaken tables, and a little further away from what might more accurately be described as a "members' committee". Either way, I don't think what you want to do is unrealistic. but a few things from my own experience:

- Boards in the real sense, i.e. groups of directors of large, accountable organisations, are conservative. Not necessarily in confining themselves exclusively to black shoes, but in the choice of new members they will seek: they seek people they think are like them. Every board member, and every chairman in particular, wants an ally. Nepotism, possibly. but more likely just people who look and walk and talk like them. Or happen to be members of the same golf club. Personally I make a strong mental association between golf and prostate cancer. I will likely never join the board of a S&P 500 company.

- Boards of NGOs are, as others have observed, focused on fund-raising. Unless you're an accountant and theirs dies, or unless their field of work happens to take place in your specific area of technical expertise, they will never need you for you. They will need you because you know rich, kind people and can part those people from their children's inheritance.

- Strategic planning is impossible to sell as a skill in itself. I feel your pain. I have been negotiating a consultancy on strategic planning for the last four months, with an organisation that exists solely and in name, to undertake strategic planning. They are yet to be convinced that they need to undertake any strategic planning. You get my drift. So find something specific to sell. If it's not fundraising and it's not specific, you might have to look at a different kind of board:

- Little boards can lead to bigger boards. It can become a bit of a club - remember that "look and walk and talk like them" thing? If someone on your little board is also on a big board, they might want to bring you along to the big boys' club as an ally.

- So find a board that isn't so glamorous. You don't have to donate money, but you can donate time. Get involved with a small-scale local charity, your local school, church, shoe appreciation society. Or even start one. The other advantage with these small, local or new entities is that because they don't pay, they're mostly run by people who have other commitments to pay the rent i.e. jobs: this means they meet in the evening or at weekends, and try not to get in the way of people's other lives.

I've been on various committees, boards and councils through work, both in-house and for broader community things e.g. boards of governors for a couple of schools, also clubs and social committees. Some are things I've kept on my CV, others not. But all of them have given me something, so I think you're idea's a great one. Just don't think you have to be the Hudsucker Proxy to get anything out of it. Sitting in, shutting up until you understand, learning and helping a small group or community organisation, is productive and worthwhile. And especially given your grey socks and black shoes and technical background, a bit of human colour might be just what your life story needs to balance up your CV.

Good luck - do let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. NMW1982

NMW1982 Well-Known Member

Let's be honest. You just want to be on a board so you can say to all your friends that you're on a board. Why put up fronts? It's like saying I drive a fire red Lamborghini not because I want to attract attention or anything, but because I like the interior design of the car. Yeah, ok. :happy:

17. patrickBOOTH

Some great advise and observations. Thank you.

Who said I was putting up a front. Of course I want bragging rights.

I can get onto the board of my condominium fairly easily. Is this resume material?

18. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

You realize you are on a clothing forum, right?

3 people like this.
  19. ter1413

Surely you jest!!!
    :rotflmao:

20. patrickBOOTH

No, I don't. Should I take "Oenophile" off of my resume as well? :confused: