1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to dress in college??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nyuhopeful, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Scbrown

Scbrown Well-Known Member

I certainly understand this point of view. I would say that if this is the case, try a variation with more casual yet refined styles. Adding dressier casual footwear and more buttoned-up and collared shirts is a good way to do this.

2. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

Oh. Yeah, it helps to realize that everyone who disagrees with you is an inferior, subhuman wretch who just doesn't understand how awesome you are.

Or to just be okay with being thought of as a little odd. Whichever. [​IMG]

3. Andrew Viny

Andrew Viny Member

It's all about your personal style man. If you want to wear a tie every day you can. I think its about consistency. If you wear sweats one day and a shirt and tie the next it will look like you're dressing up but if you dress well every day then that will be your look. I think the look you posted seems kind of formal. A knit tie or a sweater with a little more texture will dress it down a bit. I go to Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh is a real working class town. People dress pretty casually. I often wear a brown birdseye jacket (LBM 1911 unconstructed, soft shoulders, patch pockets) with a purple and brown new england shirt co shirt and a rough chocolate skinny wool tie, The jacket and tie are formal articles of clothing but the fabrics are more casual. I like dressing slightly more formally than most people but I think it sets me apart in a good way. At the end of the day you have to decide what your style is and just go with it. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, wear what makes you feel powerful.

~Andrew

4. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Here's how life works: you can do whatever you want as long as you can handle the consequences. So, you can wear whatever you want as long as you don't mind running a risk of being "that guy."

That said, my recollection of NYU (a few college visits and an evening or two hanging out with friends) is that most of the kids dressed at the hip end of the J. Crew-type look -- so slim, dark jeans, collared casual shirts, sweaters, and simple sneakers or maybe leather shoes. If I were buying clothes to fit in, that's what I would suggest.

A better idea would be to start into things wearing what you normally wear, then head up to Uniqlo once you've gotten a feel for the environment. I found what I actually wore my first few months of school were very different from what I had expected and shopped for. Also, it doesn't take a lot of remove to end up thinking you were a bit foolish freshman year -- I think I did dumb stuff with clothes and dumber stuff with girls, and it's only my sophomore year. Be flexible.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

This is interesting to me because I am going back to school. I'm in my mid 30s and I have worked in a particular industry for many years, however I feel that it's time to pursue a dream of mine to get into education and become a teacher. I can tell you this however, I am at a point in my life where I feel like I know who I am and I gives a damn if someone doesn't like it. Because of that when I hit the books again I will dress how I always do when in a casual setting. I'm already going to be the old guy, so I might as well not be the old guy who dresses like a kid. Just be yourself, within reason of course. If you are consistent and confident then people will adjust to it.

2 people like this.
  6. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Jeans, t-shorts, trainers and hoodies. Don't even think of trying to stand out from your peers. That will be bad for you. When you graduate things change but only when you do.

7. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

Everyone in first year tries to outdress everyone else.

By the time they get to 4th year, you can't tell whether they're students or homeless.

The point is don't try to stand out by dressing fancy. Just make sure your hygiene and hair are good, your shoes are nice and clean, and your clothes fit your body shape. That's all you need as an undergrad, in my opinion.

Don't drop a ton of money on clothes now because you likely will change your style in a few years. Oh, and a nice non-flashy watch (perhaps one on a leather bracelet and one on steel) will help complete your outfit.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

This is a really good approach. NYC is a great place to buy clothes, so there's not need to stock up in advance.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

That very well could be. I went to b-school at night, so there were not a lot of undergrads running around.

10. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

Again, I would argue that if there's a kind of clothing you really like, college is a great time to wear it, be that lederhosen or be that morning dress -- but only if you don't care what random strangers think of you.

11. Alan K C

Alan K C Well-Known Member

Tie is not a requirement for the work I do. So I do not wear a tie much but I do keep a preppy casual look. I only attend classes at NYU once a week, but since I live near Union Square, I could tell you the style you described aren't that of a big deal. As you progress through your college years, you will most likely meet and hang out with those who have a similar style or taste as you. But since you are coming in as a freshman, the way you dress will give you the first impression points. Your grades will then help you maintaining those points. Freshman in NYU can be very superficial... just be yourself.

12. flatspotting

flatspotting Well-Known Member

QFT

This man knows - just dress how you want to dress.

13. VanRitz

VanRitz Well-Known Member

I'm a current junior in Boulder, Colorado. Like some others have said above, you can literally wear whatever you want, college is a more appropriate time than ever to do so. Out here, we have a mix of dirty hippie, hilariously overdone stereotypical frat, girls in sweatpants and uggs, and hipsters.

Find what suits you best. I have found my happy place to be a sort of "smart casual". Here's my usual getup:

Tops: Buttondown shirts in staple colors & patterns like white, blue, gingam, etc. For dressing down a bit, I wear henleys, white or grey t-shirts, thin sweaters, polo shirts, rugby shirts.

Outerwear: Harrington jackets, thicker sweaters (variety of necks including crew, v, and shawl), peacoats even though they are overplayed, camel duffle coat, barbour jackets, etc.

Bottoms: Usually just dark denim, chinos, corduroy, etc. Pressed, dressy trousers only for nicer occasions like dinners, dances, special evening events, etc.

Shoes: Plain white canvas sneakers, loafers, boat shoes, chukka boots, brown bluchers, some suede, and some nice leather fall/winter boots. Got Sorels for when its really snowy.

It's what most people my age consider well dressed, without coming across as "dadcore", dressing like an old man, dressing "too nice" ("why are you so dressed up?"), looking creepy like kids in trenchcoats over a black suit with a fedora, etc. I get a lot of inspiration from fall/winter casual americana style collections. Preppy stuff is also a pretty good start, once you get rid of the excessive "go to hell" pieces and go with more classic staples.

Here's an article that you might enjoy as well: http://putthison.com/post/34234663655/style-for-college-students-theres-no-kind-way-to
    Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  14. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

You forgot trustafarian. And yes, I went to school there.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  15. DextersMorgan

DextersMorgan Well-Known Member

Minus the unwashed greasy hair I'd go just sneakers,jeans,t-shirt and leather jacket and a mustang.

16. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

....don't wear the tie. I didn't see many ties in grad. school, let alone college. Have fun with the college girls OP.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  17. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Personally I cannot understand why you'd want to dress that formally when you don't have to. I wear a shirt and tie 4 days/week at work (no jacket) and dress well but IMO wearing a tie is not comfortable even if your clothes fit correctly. Today (Friday) is business casual and I am wearing jeans, a henley sweater and casual shoes. NYU may be preppier than some but if it were me I'd never wear anything but jeans or khakis, tee shirts, sweaters, hoodies and the like. Tennis shoes, boots and the like are much more comfortable than the best fitting dress shoes plus the fact that you will be outside walking from class to class in all kinds of weather.

You obviously like to dress well which is great so I would recommend you trend towards preppy meaning nice cotton slacks, quality sweaters and button down casual shirts and polos. A good leather jacket is invaluable as is a good raincoat.

18. jshastings

jshastings Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the culture at NYU (though the times I visited it was little hipster...) but I know at my school it would be very odd to see someone wear a tie to class. That said, I think kids at my school tend to dress better than the average college student. For reference, the average guy here wears an OCBD, chinos, topsiders and a barbour to class. When it gets cold, guys sometimes wear a sweater and a down parka. That said, that may not be the norm at your school, but honestly it doesn't matter. Wear whatever you want. I will say though, from my perspective, I wouldn't want to look like I was trying too hard with the yuppie thing (e.g. tie and sweater to class) and I'm generally opposed to ties and jeans together.