1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to clean oil from suede shoes? Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patek, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I love suede, but I haven't had much luck lately. First, I bought a RL suede jacket and my third time wearing it my sister dropped grilled calamari (in olive oil) on it. I was able so save it by taking it by taking it to a suede cleaner ($50).

On Friday, I was wearing an almost new Edward Green tobacco suede shoes. I think it was the second time that I wore them. I dropped a bowl of humus that splattered on one of the shoes leaving an oil stain (once again, olive oil).

Has anyone had any luck using suede cleaners such as saphir:

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-omninettoyant.html

What about just generic suede cleaners like they sell at target. My local shoe repair guy also sells a Lincoln suede cleaner that runs much cheaper (about $6).

Has anyone used these on high-end shoes? Do you think it is worth the risk or should I just bring them to a shoe repair shop for cleaning?

2. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Well-Known Member

You might consider just putting some baking soda on the stain, letting it sit on there for an hour or so, and then brushing it off. I have done this with olice oil on ties before, and it worked great. One particularly bad stain required me to do it twice, but so far it hasn't failed me.

3. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

You might consider just putting some baking soda on the stain, letting it sit on there for an hour or so, and then brushing it off. I have done this with olice oil on ties before, and it worked great. One particularly bad stain required me to do it twice, but so far it hasn't failed me.

That sounds like a minimal risk and minimal cost plan. I will try that tonight.

4. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

you seem accident prone. switch to work boots.

5. Fred H.

Fred H. Well-Known Member

No. No. No. Get thee to a cobbler immediately. DO NOT screw with these yourself. In fact, I am sad to report, it is probably ALREADY too late to do anything. Suede/oil are a particularly awful combination. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news!

6. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

first I'd try the baking soda and leave for an extended period of time and use a suede brush on the nap. If the stain is still there, I'd try the equal parts water and vinegar solution, let marinate and dry, and then use a suede brush.

7. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

Use a suede rubber and a crepe brush, if it doesn't work try Terre de Sommieres (Available at Valmour) Pics via Depiedencap Forum [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Use liquid cleaner, or other liquid solution only for last chance.

8. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^

I used this on my suede tetburys (thanks to an awesome SF member who sent me some) and I wish I could say it worked...but it didn't.

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I covered a grease spot with baby powder as recommended by BNelson. Left it on overnight and brushed it off the next day. Absorbed about 50% of the stain.

Just enough for me not to care anymore.

lefty

10. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

That baby powder thing worked even with ties!

11. Dewey

Dewey Well-Known Member

you seem accident prone. switch to work boots.

+1

the saphir suede cleaner is good .. might work

also you could just coat the whole shoe in obenauf's LP and call it beeswax suede

12. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get salt stains off of a pair of desert boots?

lefty

13. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpfl input everyone. I let it sit overnight with baking soda. This morning befor work, I brushed it for a few minutes and it seems to have taken 90% or it off although I can't say for sure as I did not have time to brush all of the powder off. To be honest, I really couldn't tell where the original stain was. I guess I should have taken a picture before...

I covered it in another layer and left for work. Tonight I will spend some time brushing it out and seeing where it stands. Thankfully the stain was no way as dark as the one posted above. It was olive oil afterall and not grease. Still, the suede was light enough to show it.

14. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get salt stains off of a pair of desert boots?

lefty

Try vinegar with water. Always worked for me.

15. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

Salt, Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar is a combo made in heaven. Just mop up with some Crostini.

16. bleachboy

bleachboy Well-Known Member

17. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I second that idea. In fact if you don't want to get some work boots, you should get a nylon wrapped on your shoes while you are at it.

Don't know what you guys are going on about. I don't think anyone in their right mind wears EG oxfords in place of workboots. The stain in question is a food stain and could happen to anyone at any event where food is served. Most people (myself included) don't wear workboots to evening events.

I will try to post some pictures tonight of the cleaned up product (fingers crossed).

18. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

After a couple of applications of Arm and Hammer and letting it sit for a couple of days, I can't see where the oil stain was:

[​IMG]

(It was the left cap by the way)

Back in its home:

[​IMG]

And the world is right again [​IMG]:

[​IMG]

PS: sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures.

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

Bump. For the baking soda method, do you literally just put some on , let sit, then brush with a suede brush? Anything else?

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Nope. Leave it on for a day or so, give it time to react.