1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to care for raw denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zacharydschroeder, May 3, 2007.

1. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

if you want good fades, why the hell would you want to use a detergent that minimizes the loss of the indigo???

Because you want the fades to come from wear and not from the washing machine? The goal is to keep the parts with little wear as dark as possible for a nice contrast.

2. jingco

jingco Active Member

I think the fact that you talk about trying to achieve spectacular fades, but you go on talking about woolite dark trying to minimize indigo loss. That doesn't make any sense, if you want good fades, why the hell would you want to use a detergent that minimizes the loss of the indigo???

Thanks, I didn't write it, it was the guy shooting the Vid but I think it's what PG2G said, spectacular fades in the long run from wear but retain the indigo from wash to wash.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to be a smartass. Was in a grumpy mood.

My point was that indigo loss through wear and washing is what gets you amazing fades. Too much of one without the other and you may not, but probably still will.

But there's no need to fuss with trying to control indigo loss, and I think that Woolite thing is a myth. The goal is to let go and let the jeans do their own thing without intervention. That's the only way to get fades with integrity, in my opinion.

Or you can just read the care label, which I'm pretty sure summarizes the denim maker's intentions: "Hot wash, normal cycle. Tumble Dry. Avoid Bleach." Anything beyond that seems a little pansy to me.

4. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Well-Known Member

I don't baby my jeans when I was them, but I've had issues with combs resetting if I put them in the dryer, so I hang them to dry. Has anyone else had this problem?

5. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Well-Known Member

My point was that indigo loss through wear and washing is what gets you amazing fades. Too much of one without the other and you may not, but probably still will.

But there's no need to fuss with trying to control indigo loss, and I think that Woolite thing is a myth. .

Exactly. A good wash is integral to a good fade. Most traditional soap powders are perfect, as long as you avoid phosphates and bleaching agents.

Denim makers, like Cone, advise not using a dryer, especially in the early stages - they lift out resins and sizing in the denim, and some of the indigo will disappear with them.

6. Rolfi

Rolfi Well-Known Member

now this is rich, indigo 'diasappears' in the dryer?

-the horror, the horror...

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

*Palm to forehead*
    Was this to me? If you ask many of the people who have the drool-worthy fades people strive for, a large number of them would say they don't baby their denim

8. jingco

jingco Active Member

Was this to me? If you ask many of the people who have the drool-worthy fades people strive for, a large number of them would say they don't baby their denim

I agree. When I have my on I abuse mine like a poorly behaved child. That's how you get the natural fades, distinct colours and rips.

(Legal note: I do not actually abuse children)

9. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

I think people on style forum (myself included) are tired of talking about raw denim so the standard response is to just wear them. I'd probably ignore anything less than a year old, or go to superfuture.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

now this is rich, indigo 'diasappears' in the dryer?

-the horror, the horror...

I agree. When I have my on I abuse mine like a poorly behaved child. That's how you get the natural fades, distinct colours and rips.

(Legal note: I do not actually abuse children)

I think people on style forum (myself included) are tired of talking about raw denim so the standard response is to just wear them. I'd probably ignore anything less than a year old, or go to superfuture.

Fantastic! Agreed PG2G. The banter here is fun though.

I don't baby my jeans when I was them, but I've had issues with combs resetting if I put them in the dryer, so I hang them to dry. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, dryer will take them smaller by a few %, so everything shifts more. Depends on when you put them in the dryer, imo. When they're new is the best time to do that. After initial break-in, I've never used the dryer.

Some other dudes have done the machine wash-dry thing from the start and swear by it though (provided you didn't downsize too much or at all...)

11. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

cool beans bro

not

taking

care

12. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

Some people recommend dry cleaning, and I wonder why?

Perhaps that because the cleaning process is called "dry" cleaning, as if it didn't involve washing the clothes with liquid and hence wouldn't cause shrinkage and loss of indigo? But that is a misconception, and dry cleaning does get clothes wet. The main difference is that instead of using water + detergent, the dry cleaning process replaces them with a certain type of chemical solvent.

FYI

I don't have much knowledge about the chemical involved in dry cleaning. But if I'm not willing to soak my jeans in clean water, I don't think I'd like to soak them in chemical either. I'm not sure if dry cleaning is really any better than regular "wet" cleaning in terms of preventing shrinking and minimizing indigo loss.

13. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Good video

Here's a video of me washing my raw denim after wearing it for 18 months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

And we posted the instructions, details, and photos here: How to wash your raw denim jeans

Hope it helps!

14. Nomy?

Nomy? Well-Known Member

new catch phrase "WEAR AND DON'T CARE" meaning just wear the raw denim and forget about caring for it!LOL!!

15. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Well-Known Member

Personally, I try to avoid the dry cleaners. I haven't found one that I would feel 100% safe with any expensive item.

I have a front loader that has a hand wash cycle on it. I use that and hang dry when actually washing my jeans. Its a gentle and very short cycle.

16. *#..

*#.. Well-Known Member

I just treat them like a cheap, regular pair of jeans, just no drying. I wash them like once a month, as you don't want to be that guy who doesn't wash his jeans and smells.

17. Scud7171

Scud7171 New Member

I have heard of people wearing them in hot water. Is this suggested?

18. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Well-Known Member

i wear them when i put them in the washing machine. i have a large washing machine.

19. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

I purchased unwashed Levi's Skinners about two months ago. I have not washed them yet. I've probably worn them 15 or 16 times. They are starting to show some wear, but mostly the indigo is just turning brighter at the stress points. That means when I wash them (in a few months), those are the points where the indigo will not hold and it will be extra faded there after I wash? All those Nudies on their website were worn unwashed for a long time, but the real high levels of distress come from the first wash after constant wear, right? I plan to wear my jeans a while before I wash them, but if I wash them cold will they come out of the wash not even looking faded? Could I just shower with them on instead so they hold a good fit?
    its cool you want to have a nice fading pair of jeans but i think you are worrying about it to much. your jeans should fade and wear according to how you wear them. if your a construction worker your jeans will fade differently from someone that only wears their jeans for 2 or 3 hours a day. you should NOT worry what other people do otherwise it makes no sense to buy raw denim. the point of buying raw denim is to differentiate yourself from every other douche bag out there. wear your jeans however you want. wash when they are dirty. if they smell, its time to wash (even if its at month 2). personally, i wash my raw jeans once a month, sometimes earlier, and my jeans fade well. i am not suggesting you need to wash as often as me but i do recommend you wash when they are dirty. denim needs to be washed frequently in order to hold up well ... assuming you will wear them for 1 - 2 years. in terms of your first wash i would wash in cold water with a mild detergent (woolite or woolite dark). i would avoid the dryer, if possible. the dryer does weird things with cotton-based garments. do not expect them to show real signs of wear for at least 5 months. what you are seeing now it the denim wearing in stress areas ... once you do your first wash those areas will lighten up slightly but like i said you will not notice any real wear for around 5 months +/- depending on how much you wear them. most of all, enjoy them. move up to a higher quality denim for your next pair.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

i wear them when i put them in the washing machine. i have a large washing machine.
    where to kop?