1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How to annoy English Majors

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by thenanyu, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

You should see them try to spell Mandingo ..... sometimes I use the name Rambo....but make sure they understand that its french...R-I-M-B-A-U-D

[​IMG]

2. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I can assure all of you Starbucks baristas HATE the names of the sizes more than the customers do. If they ever get caught referring to drinks as "small, large, etc." they get their asses handed to them.

Yes, they are ordered to argue with customers over it even. They are not supposed to give you your drink until you acknowledge it's a Vinte or whatever rather than medium or large or whatever the fuck

3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

You should see them try to spell Mandingo ..... sometimes I use the name Rambo....but make sure they understand that its french...R-A-M-B-E-A-U-X

I hope you eventually run into a barista who informs you that the French spelling of "Rambo" is R-I-M-B-A-U-D.

4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Active Member

If they ever get caught referring to drinks as "small, large, etc." they get their asses handed to them.

Yes, they are ordered to argue with customers over it even. They are not supposed to give you your drink until you acknowledge it's a Vinte or whatever rather than medium or large or whatever the fuck

Where on earth do you live? I worked at Starbucks in high school and none of this was true at any of our stores.

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Houston, TX. I never worked there but know tons who did. (and do).

Also they all go calls and texts at 4 am so the store manager could chat them up about coffee. If they didn't respond, they got screamed at the next work day haha

6. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

Where on earth do you live? I worked at Starbucks in high school and none of this was true at any of our stores.
    If you stick around you will learn that javyns imagination, eager to make some trivial point, frequently ignores inconvenient impediments like reality.

7. osadolor619

osadolor619 Well-Known Member

Remember to use cash though, sometimes they look at my card to get my name and don't ask me my name.

8. Optimistic

Optimistic Active Member

9. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

That's pretty amazing.

10. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

So every time I go into Starbucks I order a small, medium, or large just to see if they fuss about it. Usually they don't but it's funny when they do and I act like I've never heard of such a thing and why don't they just use small, medium, and large like the rest of the world. I work PT at a coffee shop, we also have 4 sizes. Personally, I think this is not worth the trouble. People understand 3 sizes. Small, medium, large. 3 sizes! Easy! But, I am not the boss.

Yea, it's SO hard to figure out Starbucks' sizes.[​IMG]

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I usually tell them my name is Tyrone.

2 people like this.
  12. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

This thread made my night!

1 person likes this.
  13. oman

oman Well-Known Member

If you stick around you will learn that javyns imagination, eager to make some trivial point, frequently ignores inconvenient impediments like reality.

Haha

14. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Well-Known Member

Y'all are too damn funny. Some of those English majors are extreme as hell though.

15. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Well-Known Member

I find asking them what they plan to do in life and how they plan to repay their tuition fees works the best, or ask them what Lord Byron really meant when he wrote "I can smell the flowers".

1 person likes this.
  16. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Lol, that's hilarious! I might try that the next time I go! Got to think of a good name... *walks off, racking brain

I have a friend who got tired of spelling his last name for restaurant hostesses, so he always uses "Russell Potts, but you can call me Rusty". Next time I order coffee, I'm going to be "McLovin".

When they call the name, do you go "I am Spartacus!"

"I AM McLovin".

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted on my sisters facebook wall... luckily she came to her senses and is going to be a psychiatrist, although she came this realization AFTER she got her undergrad in Eng Lit [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I find asking them what they plan to do in life and how they plan to repay their tuition fees works the best, or ask them what Lord Byron really meant when he wrote "I can smell the flowers".
    Posted on my sisters facebook wall... luckily she came to her senses and is going to be a psychiatrist, although she came this realization AFTER she got her undergrad in Eng Lit [​IMG]
    Posts like this are, indeed, pretty annoying to English majors. I can speak with some authority on that. I mean, what careers did you guys's degrees lead you into? I personally don't regret my lit major for a second, it has contributed as much to my enjoyment of life as my subsequent degree has to my ability to practically live it. Money well spent, certainly.

19. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Well-Known Member

Posts like this are, indeed, pretty annoying to English majors. I can speak with some authority on that. I mean, what careers did you guys's degrees lead you into? I personally don't regret my lit major for a second, it has contributed as much to my enjoyment of life as my subsequent degree has to my ability to practically live it. Money well spent, certainly.

None as of yet.

20. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

My degree in engineering led to me getting a job as an engineer...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.