1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

    We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

    We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

    Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

    Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net


    The Styleforum Team

    Dismiss Notice

How significant is tobacco's effect on your metabolism?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by likeitaloud, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. likeitaloud

    likeitaloud Well-Known Member

    Aug 29, 2008
    I am not asking of your thoughts on smoking but simply how much does it affect metabolism. Compared to regular heavy weight lifting ,and drinking green tea/other drinks and food that speed it up? Is it realistic for a person to start gaining weight after quitting smoking without any changes in diet or exercise? What about after starting smoking. Maybe a link with some kind of math would be interesting. Thanks.
  2. Milhouse

    Milhouse Well-Known Member

    May 11, 2007
    It has been a number of years since I took any pharmacology courses, but I do remember that weight gain is a significantly likely side effect of nicotine cessation. I honestly don't remember the action responsible, if it was a metabolic effect, or more of an appetite suppressant effect.
  3. Seanallen

    Seanallen Well-Known Member

    Mar 26, 2008
    Green Bay
    I don't think tobacco is much effect on your metabolism than it is a appetite suppressant like milhouse said.
  4. Cornellian

    Cornellian Well-Known Member

    Sep 10, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I suspect that, independent of any metabolic effects, people begin to substitute food to mouth instead of cig to mouth.
  5. gomes

    gomes Member

    Aug 15, 2008
    There's a great review article on the matter on the Atherosclerosis Journal (the edition in press now), but it's unlikely you'll have (free) access, so I'll try to share a few of the most important points

    - Long term nicotine consumption modulates body weight regulation, by inducing adaptive changes in some of the molecules molecules which regulate feeding patterns and energy metabolism.

    - There is also a metabolic withdrawal syndrome which affects about 80% of smokers. The symptoms are the ones we are already aware about, so nothing new there. However, and this is the nasty part, accompanying those symptoms there is also an increase in waist to hip ratio and an increased percent body fat due to increased caloric intake and/or decreased resting metabolic rate.

    So yes - in short, nicotine does fuck up your metabolic rate.

    A bit of good news - from all the weight people usually put on, only about 30% they can blame on the metabolism. The remaining 70% are due to what else they eat now they don't have a cigarette to put in their mouth (as Cornellian already pointed out).
  6. aleeboy

    aleeboy Well-Known Member

    Oct 6, 2007
    I'm a back-and-forth smoker and have tried to quit before. When I did, I was working out harder and eating harder to distract myself. I found I put on some lean mass and was happy with the result. I wonder what the supposed 30% affect on the metabolism rate can do to you.

    I read that nicotine increases resting metabolism by 10%. I'm not sure how true this is, but as many smokers can attest, it does make your heart beat faster and more effort needs to be made to breathe. Smoking is nasty and I hope to quit one day. When I do, I will be sure to workout more to counteract the likely bingeing and drop in metabolism.

    If only smokes didn't taste so good with coffee, after a warm meal and with alcohol.
  7. thekunk07

    thekunk07 Well-Known Member

    Apr 27, 2007
    it's bad for you but it's a great habit. i enjoy every cigarette. i'm on my second week of no smokes right now and hating every minute.
  8. aleeboy

    aleeboy Well-Known Member

    Oct 6, 2007
    After the first few days, you're free!

    However, you're not entirely free to join your mates for a drink at the pub[​IMG]

    Good luck!

    Yes, it's a great habit with nasty health consequences
  9. ankoo

    ankoo New Member

    Sep 7, 2012
    Cigarette smoking increases a person's metabolic rate in part by forcing the heart to beat faster. When a cigarette is inhaled, the smoker's heart may beat 10 to 20 times more per minute for a period of time.
    I think this answers your question.

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by