1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How should I take advantage of this contact?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Teger, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I was at a reception tonight for my department, and I happened to get into conversation with one of the attendees. We talked for about ten minutes, and it turns out he is actually very, very high up in a field I'd like to work in -- probably number 2 or 3 in the state -- and at the end of the conversation he gave me a card and said something along the lines of "well, I don't know if this will ever be of use, but here's my card, if you want to ever stop in and talk."

I'd love to cultivate this connection -- and I would love if it lead to a job.

How should I follow up on this?

I was thinking that I should send him an e-mail in the next few days saying it was nice to meet him, and then in a week or two ask if he wants to grab coffee.

Thoughts?

2. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan.
    A pretty good one too.
    Message soon so he won't forget you.

3. JilSlander

JilSlander Well-Known Member

Exactly what I do.

If you want to make it more casual, a drink would be even better.

Good luck, Teger. You know what you're doing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Bumping this:

shot some emails back and forth, and he asked if I'd like to grab coffee, lunch or a drink. what's the best choice for a situation like this?

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Did he really spell out all three options?

If so, I'd go for the drink.

Coffee could imply a short meeting, especially once you've both finished your coffees, as it signifies the 'end' of the meeting. And no one ever orders a second coffee. Probably a non-issue in the grand scheme of things, really, but still. And again, depending on what time of the day you meet, there could be implicit timing guardrails.

Lunch.. I'd just avoid. Food, chewing, etc. get in the way.

Beers are the best. They're after work and you have the lenience to have as short or as long of a conversation as necessary. You both can drink your beers at your own pace and order as many as you want. Plus, he'll probably be inclined to help you even more if he's buzzing a little bit and you guys have built up a good rapport. Being able to share a beer and good conversation with another man is a lost art (blame the smartphones).

Good luck.

Oh, and definitely insist on paying for whatever you end up doing. If he refuses strongly twice, then relent and let him pay.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

yep, all three. i was actually thinking lunch, because eating food would cover any awkward pauses, and it'd be way more convenient location/time wise. although if he got hammered that'd probably help..

7. JilSlander

I don't know about anybody else, but the most helpful connections/conversations I've had have been fueled with beers/whisky,

I say go for drinks. And yes, always pay, regardless. If he refuses, tell him you invited him out and thus, it's on you, np.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I find that the pauses you're forced to take from chewing and all that can subtly disrupt the flow of a conversation. Sometimes I've deliberately eaten slower so as to engage in conversations more fluidly, and next thing I know, my counterpart is already 75% done with their meal and I'm only halfway there.

Beers are best.

I'd suggest avoid getting him hammered, lulz, as he might forget any favors he might have promised you during the conversation. I guess you could pull a Don Draper on him, though.

9. JilSlander

This +9000.

In these introductory types of meetings, you're most often going to have to talk more (giving background, story, etc.).

GreenFrog's example rings true; I've had this happen a few times and it was really irritating, especially if you're both on a tight schedule.