• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How relevant was your college education to your career choice?

WellGroomedMale

Reaction score
It seems to me that what many people major in during college differs greatly from the career path they eventually choose. I’d like to hear your stories – what you majored in, what you do now, and what caused you to deviate from your major. I’m a Marketing major currently, but I feel that I could end up doing a number of different things after I graduate.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty relevant. My current position correlates to what I majored in in undergrad and grad. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon for an individual to have 4-5 careers throughout the work life so chances are, you will deviate from what you learned in college sooner than later. I know a lot of people who never worked a day in the field they majored in as well.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My undergrad is not revelant at all but grad is somewhat revelant.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very, very relevant. I am in technology.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My undergrad degree (Chinese) was not relevant at all to what I ended up doing with my life (State-side corporate attorney.)

IChen

Reaction score
Majoring in finance at the moment, would like to work with retail fashion...I know right :(
Being a sales associate is pretty fun at the moment, probably because I'm young but it may change. Might look at financial positions for a fashion retail.
Gonna continue running my family's investment portfolio, so I don't cry and sweat as much at night
ffffuuuu.gif

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Majored in accounting in undergrad and got an MS in accounting for grad school. Currently work as an audit manager in a big 4 accounting firm so I haven't deviated at all.

chronovello

Reaction score
I studied psychology and anthropology for two years as an undergrad. Then I transferred to a small seminar-based creative writing program within the same school.

As a graduate, I studied journalism.

Now, I'm in advertising.

Do what you love to do at the moment. Take whatever you learn forward with you. Don't be afraid to change your course. Don't be afraid to break the rules and make your own.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty directly relevant so far, but I'm still moving along and it wouldn't surprise me to have a big change at some point.

Majored in chemistry, went to grad school for physical chemistry, now I'm a research scientist doing instrument design and method development.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
bahahaha. majored in Physics. Currently in Accounting. Had I switched to business / accounting as a Freshman like one of my incoming cohort did, things might be a tad different.

Well, I did get an MBA and CPA-filelr courses between then and now.

Last edited:

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my undergrad tech degree helped me get my first job and also helped me switch careers to tech product mgmt.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very relevant. My graduate degree is even more so.

Undergrad: Economics and Intl Studies (concentrated in IPE)
Grad School: MA in INtl Affairs concentrating in Intl Economic Relations

Career: Policy Analyst with US Govt.

Career Track: move to private sector

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I might become a lawyer that specialized in business with China. Then the Tian An Mun massacre happened (1st year in law school) and most of the law firms either pulled out of China altogether or downsized their China operations. That, and the realization that I didn't want to live in China for the rest of my life (which is kind of what you have to commit to if you'e serious about specializing in China law) made me decide to pursue intellectual property law instead. Worked at a big firm for a couple of years, then left to join a biotech start-up, and the rest is history.

My undergrad degree (Chinese) was not relevant at all to what I ended up doing with my life (State-side corporate attorney.)

LOL that's a pretty big difference. How did that happen?

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undergrad was math and political science, and grad was applied mathematics. Now, I'm working as a statistician at a marketing company.

With that said, I'm considering looking for a 'online marketing' or 'ppc marketing' position. That or something more oriented towards policy, such as
a 'policy analyst.' I like stats, but it's just overwhelming sometimes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads