• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wash your hair?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being blessed with the bald gene, I'm nuts about what hair I have left (thinning crown...ever so slowly). I'm also very active. I only shampoo after a hockey game (once or twice a week) as who the hell knows whats growing in my helmet (hope its no where closely related to whats growing in my skates!). Otherwise after a run, or workout I'll just hot water it and lop in some conditioner. I'm trying to grow it out again now, as the last time (a few years ago) I wasn't consuming the amount of water I do now, and feel my hair looks better for it, so it may be my last stand, but I'm going for it.

Once a week, sometimes twice-otherwise condition.

Peter Dinklage

Reaction score
I shampoo every day, but I really like how fluffy my hair is in the morning, and I'm probably going to experiment with the 2-3 days thing.

shootspeed

Reaction score
Almost every day. I only shampoo 2 times a week though. Condition every day. Results in hair that isn't too greasy or too clean and fluffy.

B1FF

Reaction score
Every day. I hate being around dirty people who smell up a room.

PS - Yes, you do.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
Hot water and a quick lather is more than enough to rinse all of the salt/sweat residue out of your hair.
Isnt that considered washing it? I shampoo with Kiehls herbal shampoo and condition with Kiehls amino acid conditioner. My hair the best its every been, switched from Grocery store 'expensive' brands and couldnt be happier.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to wash my hair every day. For me, it's a psychological thing--I feel dirty and greasy if I don't shampoo. I wish I could get over that, because I know it's better if I don't shampoo as often.

- Keith

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
havent washed it with shampoo in about a month, and about a month before that

i use conditioner a couple times a week if i wear it straight back.

a quick rinse gets all the filth out and keeps my grease at an optimal level

ThisFlyGuy

Reaction score
every other day with shampoo.
otherwise just normal rinse everyday

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
I wash my hair daily, but i just use a bar of soap. Since I wash my body daily, may as well wash my hair, and wash them both in the same fashion.

You do realize that bar soap is much harsher than shampoo on your hair right?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rinse everyday, shampoo once or twice a week. I have super straight hair so I need some grease for texture.

Jappo

Reaction score
every day. every other day in winter
laugh.gif

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I shampoo with Kiehls herbal shampoo and condition with Kiehls amino acid conditioner. My hair the best its every been, switched from Grocery store 'expensive' brands and couldnt be happier.

Love Kiehls products! However the best shampoo/conditioner i've tried is by Phyto. its too expensive for me to buy regularly though -_-

I'm surprised at the people that condition their hair so much, even when they haven't washed it! There is such a thing as over-conditioning, as conditioners add a chemical layer on your hair...

I wash every other day. In the winter I occasionally go 2 days before a wash. Washing every day makes it really dried out.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
You do realize that bar soap is much harsher than shampoo on your hair right?

it hasn't done anything terrible to my hair yet. To be honest, i don't notice any difference between the soap and shampoo after i get out of the shower. When i used to use conditioner, it used to make it all soft and smooth, but this is probably more a coating of residue from the conditioner than any actual change in my hair.

It is pretty much just protein after all.

i also don't see how use of shampoo could have any long term effects. Hair grows out and falls off anyway. Unless it has some type of effect on the cells in the scalp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads