1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much should I tip my maid?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Kent Wang, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I've arranged to have her come over once a month. She's charging $45 for about two hours of work. The price is a bit high but I don't think she is an illegal. Should I tip her maybe $5 to make it an even $50?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Tip her? Why? You are paying her for a job, and a job that you think might be a bit high at that! Just get her something nice around the holiday season.

Jon.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I agree. I think *we're* too overly concerned about tipping everyone around us. A nice holiday gift is the best option, along with any other service folks you have personal contact with on a regular basis (gardeners, mailmen, etc)

4. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

I don't tip independent contractors -- it all goes to them anyway.

I've arranged to have her come over once a month. She's charging $45 for about two hours of work. The price is a bit high but I don't think she is an illegal. Should I tip her maybe $5 to make it an even $50?

Why not just ask for documentation?

5. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

Tipping isn't necessary in this situation. As others have noted, a holiday bonus is in order. We give a bonus of twice the regular fee to our housecleaner at Christmas/New Year's.

6. Bouji

Bouji Well-Known Member

Why not just ask for documentation?

I would personaly not care less; in the UK the law is such that it is not my problem, just theirs. I don't know about the US.

7. Kent Wang

Thanks for the advice. I'll stiff her unless she performs some extraordinary service like cleaning up evidence of a murder.

I have a friend who has a car wash service, which is similar to maid service -- he drives out to the client and cleans their car -- and he tells me that he gets tipped all the time.

I don't care whether she is an illegal or not; I just suspect that an illegal would be much cheaper.

8. Margaret

Thanks for the advice. I'll stiff her unless...

That is not tip enough?

9. imageWIS

I have a friend who has a car wash service, which is similar to maid service -- he drives out to the client and cleans their car -- and he tells me that he gets tipped all the time.

That's different. Anything involving cars tend to involve tipping (valet, cleaning, etc...).

Jon.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll stiff her unless she performs some extraordinary service like cleaning up evidence of a murder.

I don't care whether she is an illegal or not; I just suspect that an illegal would be much cheaper.

Is that like car detailing?

11. imageWIS

Upon further consideration, if she is good looking you should tip her 3 inches. [​IMG]

Jon.

12. Kent Wang

Is that like car detailing?
    I believe that's what he calls it.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Upon further consideration, if she is good looking you should tip her 3 inches. [​IMG]

Jon.

esp if she works in a french maid outfit. then give her all 4 inches.

14. Kent Wang

Yes, I keep that extra inch in reserve and unleash it only for special occasions.

I suppose she could be an illegal French maid.

15. Goblin

Goblin Well-Known Member

I tip "service workers" whether it's called for or not, mainly because I've been there, and it does make a difference. Even if it doesn't make a significant difference to their bottom line, it makes people feel appreciated and is just a nice thing to do. If that person reciprocates with better service in the future, as sometimes happens, it's money well spent. If not, you're out $5-10 that would have just gone to the commemorative Mao trinket industry anyway.

But yeah, I wouldn't do it out of any feeling of obligation, or out of some weird-ass desire to bond with the help. I just do it to help somebody else who's where I was at not too long ago. It's not like a moral imperative or anything.

16. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

I dunno, do you tip the illegal immigrant who mows your lawn??

K

17. imageWIS

Yes, I keep that extra inch in reserve and unleash it only for special occasions.
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHA [​IMG] Jon.

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Funny thing about gratuity etiquette, why not tip your maid if you'd tip your barber/manicurist?

19. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

If you're paying cash, just negotiate a fair payment. If you like, think of this as just including the tip in the regular payment. When you tip at the salon, you are basically giving the recipient income s/he may or may not report.

20. Margaret

Funny thing about gratuity etiquette, why not tip your maid if you'd tip your barber/manicurist?

Your barber or manicurist is usually an employee. The basic fee you pay goes to their employer and is distributed to them only indirectly; your tip to the barber is your personal expression of appreciation for his effort in the work he has performed specifically for you.

If a maid is operating a a business as a self-employed independent contractor, she's performing a service for which she is being directly paid. She's obtensibly charging a fee that represents the full value of her work.