1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much does culture/ethnicity affect the clothes you wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

So, am I to understand that you dress as an elderly woman from northen Italy?

Quite intriquing. Might you be so kind as to provide us some illustrative examples, please?

I'm having a hard time imagining how your attire must have supported your successful architectural practice. Although, as I'm certain it must have, I'm equally as certain your 'look' must be quite something to see!

:tounge:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

:rotflmao:

Actually the aunt is only two years older than I. She was my uncle's second wife. When I say introduced ... I mean she took me to particular shops for my first visit. Sorry to disappoint.

However ... Somewhere around one of the houses is a photo of me -- many years ago -- dressed as Charo ... :nodding: ... for a haloween constume party I believe it was. I'd have been one ugly drag queen had I elected that direction. But that photo might resemble what you seek. As I recall, I'm wearing a leopard pants suit.

3. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

well.........you wouldn't want to be accussed of being a tease......would you?

:D

You know, you really shouldn't encourage me..................

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Oh, that's lightweight in terms of accusations levied against me.

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Dolly would have you know it takes a lot of money to look that cheap. Which is also sometimes true on SF.

1 person likes this.
  7. Marshall Anthony

Marshall Anthony Well-Known Member

….

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. laphroaig

laphroaig Well-Known Member

I belong to the standard western culture, with its standard western dress so it's hard to judge how much this influences how I dress, except completely. Let's just say other cultures don't seem to affect the way I dress. If I was to be affected by my cultural ancestors of the early 20th century, I'd have a penchant for four button jackets. If my parents were my influence; my mother had most of her clothing tailored by her local tailor who would often draw or cut dress patterns by eye alone; while my father worked in textiles but had no respect for clothing. He would often wear and destroy his newest clothes and shoes while gardening, and wear old horrible tat around town. My grandfather was very practical but highly conformed to customs and would always wear a suit during family occasions like Christmas dinners.

My dress is as basic as possible, restricted by what is available, what is expected, and generally acceptable. I lust after the nicest things and I dislike gimmicks.

9. tone76

tone76 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised at just how committed Australians can be to their particular brand(s) of choice. Clothes, cars, mobile phones ... many seem to try their hardest to conform to their respective class as conspicuously as possible.

And yes, many Australian males would probably feel right at home in SW&D.

10. mimile

mimile Well-Known Member

I love your reply. It is funny to note that paradox of from one side people wanting to be americanized in their way of dressing and from the other, americans now considering neapolitan tailoring as the best in the world. I do not feel that consciousness is the drive for work in our western societies. It is greed. Final lesson, "be yourself no matter what they say". This applies also to dress.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Members will not be surprised to learn that this is not a common saying in the UK...

(,,, current 30C temperatures in October notwithstanding.)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  12. Holdfast

Recently posted by vox in WAYWRN regarding some of the looks therein:

This strikes a chord with some of the themes of this thread, I think. It references the self-reinforcing coherence of dress imposed by an ethnic/cultural norm.

In today's world of a less culturally-rooted, and perhaps more anomic, world, we draw coherent inspiration from designers... and perhaps even more dysfunctionally, from internet style tumblers and message boards.

Is developing a sense of coherent expression/insight into one's style inevitably associated with patronising a narrowing range of outfitters? I know I've certainly massively cut down on the range of places I buy from, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm getting better at expressing myself sartorially (obviously, I think I am, but that's no guide...!). I guess it depends on what prompts you to opt to narrow your range, and what is the target range.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  13. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

The combination of people I'm seeing and the decision to blend in or stand out have much more influence on my dress than my ethnicity or cultural background. Of course we all have backgrounds that inform our ideas and preferences for certain styles, but I like to think we all have some kind of free will to pick and choose things from whatever era or cultural group (even an internet cultural group) that appeals to us. I do, however, avoid certain things that I might otherwise like on other guys (bright colors, pinstripes, designer stuff) because either I don't want to be perceived a certain way or something just doesn't "feel like me" -- which I suppose could be some cultural or ethnic influence.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  14. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Can you link the threads? I want to see how they look.

Makes me sound like a semi-wanker :laugh: Love my cutaway collared frenchcuffed shirts.

15. Holdfast

Re: the bolded bit, maybe we need a thread on the free will vs determinism argument as applied to clothing? Hmm, I suppose this IS that thread... what have I created?! [​IMG]

16. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Indian Summer was there yesterday and already gone..:embar:

17. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Is 'Indian Summer' a commonly used phrase in the UK?

I would have guessed it to be only used in the US.

18. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It is used even in France...

19. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

More so than 'St Martin's Summer'? Saint-Martin d'été

20. Oleg

Oleg Well-Known Member

It's an interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading some of the stories but is there a danger of getting a wee bit essentialist and introspective about things? Seems to me that a lot about SF would indicate the relative lack of relevance of culture/ethnicity. A quick glance at the WAYWRT thread clearly shows the difference in, for example, acceptable work attire but an awful lot of that seems to revolve around professions rather than national culture with some sticking to conservative suits and black shoes and others free to wear sports coats, brogues, button downs, etc. I know some of the latter are labelled 'American' but I'm guessing that they're less common on Wall Street than in a Mid-West law firm or college. Meantime, we've got some of the more youthful members from across Europe and Asia trying to emulate du jour Neopolitanism or New England preppy.
    It's not that it's not relevant at all: every time I go back home to Scotland I feel this compelling urge to buy tweed (limited myself to a hat when visiting my mum in Edinburgh last week!:embar:). And when I lived in Australia for many years, I continued to be rather smarter and often more formally dressed than friends and colleagues, and was rather more identifiably British (or possibly London) (I love Australia and miss it heaps but, guys, the shoes! Get it sorted, I beg you!). But similarly I don't spend my days in a kilt (though freely admit to owning one) and a tam.