1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much do you tip?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jml90, Aug 20, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

What is the standard tip for a bartendr for a drink in the US? I mean a simppe neat pour or beer. Tippinng on more complex cocktails should be higher i understand, but evertytime i vist there i am told differnt things; some people tell me 10% others tell em if your drink costs 4 usd leave a 5 dollar bill, which would be 25%.

For a single drink I'll usually tip a buck (if we're talking a $2.50 beer, maybe I'll tip the 50 cents change on each beer and toss in another buck at the end if I have several). If I drank something really expensive, which I rarely do in bars, I might tip a bit more.

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Bar tipping has a lot of ins/outs/what-have-yous. If you drink there a lot, it pays to over-tip. If not, I agree with Lawyerdad.

3. LanAltec

LanAltec Well-Known Member

I too agree with lawyerdad, on the bar tipping.

As far as restaurants go, I'm usually right at 20%. Its hard to go lower or higher than that.

4. SamIam33

SamIam33 Well-Known Member

I will say there are always exceptions to 20%-- if they have an attitude I will not tip more than 10%

5. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

Tax in Houston is 8.25%. I will usually tip double the tax amout if service was good, triple if it was excellent. Makes the calculation easy.

Regards.

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

What is the standard tip for a bartendr for a drink in the US? I mean a simppe neat pour or beer.

A buck a drink is a very good rule of thumb. Lawyerdad hit the nail on the head, though, about bar tipping. Different strategies for different situation.

7. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

So it would be a dollar per drink not depnding on the price assuming it was a beer or a neat pour?

8. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

I tip 20% if the service is good to excellent
    11-15% for poor to fair service
    10% for lack to no service
    0% if they are rude or otherwise distasteful.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I usually try to tip as well as I can.

I usually try to keep the fact that waiters work for tips, and are only paid 2 something an hour.

Some people don't tip the carhops at sonic, but you really should. They are like any other waiter/waitress usually only making a little over 2 bucks an hour.

10. NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP

NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP Well-Known Member

11. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Is $4 on $19 fair for a barber?A little more than 20%...

12. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

NO!

13. dieselman89

How much would you leave on $19?

14. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

Restaurant: 20-25%
    Bar: $1/drink paying by the drink. The greater of 20% or $1/drink when running a tab
    Delivery: 2-3 bucks
    Barber: 2 (it's the norm in black barbershops)
    Hotel maid: 5-10/day
    Cabbie: depends on how much I've been drinking
    Parking valet: 2-3
    Anything to-go: 0

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Restaurant: Nope.
    Bar: Nope
    Delivery: The get a smile.
    Barber: Nope
    Hotel maid: Sometimes.
    Cabbie: Sometimes.
    Brothel: If the service was satisfactory, 20%.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Well-Known Member

restaraunt: 25%
    bar: 25%
    delivery: 25%
    barber: 25%
    maid: -
    cabbie: -
    brothel: -

ill go down to like 10% if the service/cut sucks ass

1 person likes this.
  17. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Anyone in Europe? Tips are not common in Spain and when I go out of the country I'm constantly at odds about whether I should tip or not.

Tips are why americans are always so well taken care of when they travel. They give the biggest tips.

18. paradoxical3

paradoxical3 Well-Known Member

20% is my baseline, but it varies depending on my relationship with the place.

There's this bar I frequent - it has the best damn hamburgers I've ever had, and the upstairs is completely empty (as in, I've never seen a single person eating up there) yet they let me and my friends eat there without bitching about it. I generally tip 50% - they are climbing two flights of stairs every single time they come to check on us or bring us drinks and NEVER complain, the staff knows me by name and my usual order, and I just love everything about the place. Their prices are cheap to begin with so it doesn't kill me to make them smile by throwing in a few extra bucks. They genuinely make my life better in that small way, so why not?

For fine dining, I use discretion. One thing that I've started doing more often lately is talking to the service manager. I took my family to a really upscale place last week when they were in town; I was a bit scared as my family are not adventurous eaters (my younger sisters essentially survived on burgers and pizza). The service was amazingly patient and unpretentious, and probably spent fifteen minutes answering basic questions like, "What are ramps?" that my sisters asked. I've been to a lot of places that get all uppity if you can't pronounce something or have questions about the menu, and I was afraid that would be the case. But they were so great that they really improved my enjoyment of the evening. I tipped 30% and afterwards told both the server and manager how thankful I was for the excellent service. I figure everyone likes to be complimented in front of their boss, no?

Finally, there are different levels of "bad" service. If the service is simply young and inexperienced (but trying hard), they shouldn't be punished as much as a truly rude, indifferent person should be. If someone is genuinely rude to me, I have no problem tipping $1. This has only happened a handful of times to me though.

Basically, I think tipping should simply be a matter of, "You take care of me, I take care of you."

19. dieselman89

Good post, how much do you tip your barber? And how much do you pay?

20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

We generally give 10% or something in Germany, UK, France, Spain, Italy... I've never experienced anyone to be uncomfortable with it; they're always happy.