• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you spend on groceries?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Yea thats what I never understood either. My friends dad is a higher up at a major corporation there, like Director/SVP level and they pay is horrendous. I wonder how people afford 2m tiny apartments.

complicated real estate system where few actually have any equity unless you're mega rich and not working (0)

tsacain

Reaction score
For my family(Parents and brother) probably 200 a week. For just me which I buy most of my own food I would say $80-120 a week but I do eat out a few nights (girlfriend). Booze wise I spend atleast $100 a week if I goto the bar friday night it tends to be more.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I spend $0 on groceries per week. I never cook anything in the home.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsacain
For my family(Parents and brother) probably 200 a week. For just me which I buy most of my own food I would say $80-120 a week but I do eat out a few nights (girlfriend). Booze wise I spend atleast $100 a week if I goto the bar friday night it tends to be more.

my first thought when I read this was probably not what you meant

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I try to cap our grocery spending at $90 per week. This has been tough to figure out since we started going to Costco every three weeks or so. Usually, we try and come in under $90 to compensate.

Edit: We do eat out, maybe once or twice a week. Very occasionally we'll get breakfast on the weekend.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, this is what I purchased to feed myself for the week.
nzxNd.jpg
Just a pinch over $150 in total, which, considering what I purchased, I think is a pretty good deal.

pfurey

Reaction score
That is a good deal.

People write off wholefoods as being overly expensive, it really isn't. Some of the weird-hippy-boxed **** is, but I don't buy my food in boxes anyway.

For me it's wholefoods + farmers markets + a butcher nearby. How much I spend depends on what we're making. I also don't buy a weeks worth of food at once, we usually go food shopping the morning before we decide to cook something, and the leftovers / mise en place will usually last 1-3 days.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
I also don't buy a weeks worth of food at once, we usually go food shopping the morning before we decide to cook something, and the leftovers / mise en place will usually last 1-3 days.
I usually try to do the same. There is a butcher about 5 minutes down the road from me that I get fresh meat from during the week, but sometimes I'll have no need to make multiple trips; it all depends on what I buy over the weekend, and how much I eat in a given week, which will vary. Sometimes all I feel like making for dinner is an omelette.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Today, this is what I purchased to feed myself for the week.

nzxNd.jpg

Just a pinch over $150 in total, which, considering what I purchased, I think is a pretty good deal.

I like
teacha.gif
Thats a **** ton of salmon though.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I like
teacha.gif
Thats a **** ton of salmon though.

Yeah, I eat it in a salad for lunch most every day.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$50-150 for myself and the occasional guest depending on what I make. I'm a terrible food planner as my appetite and cravings change drastically frequently, so I usually go grocery shopping every other day. That number doesn't include booze; that would add another $20-50 for what I drink at home.

Monaco

Reaction score
$30-$60 a week.

Lots of chicken breast, veggies, fruits. Sometimes ice cream, raw milk, yogurt, and baked cheese curls.

I used to eat a lot of bacon and eggs but don't seem to desire it anymore.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$90-100 per week for two people. I rarely buy organic unless on sale. I usually buy whatever fish on special and prime grade sirloin when on sale (every 4-6 weeks). I always have two or three extra steaks in the freezer and a few pounds of chicken breasts. I buy produce at a local market-- they sell a fair amount of seconds (too small, scarred, odd sizes) for dirt cheap. I also stock up at an Asian market on Staten Island 5-6 times per year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads