1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on a tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Jan 17, 2012.

How much do you spend on a tie?

1. $30-50

56 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. $51-70

43 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. $71-99

73 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. $100-$125

39 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. $125+

45 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

No more than 155 SGD (127 USD). Period. And that's the exception.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Your location is in London.. Where do you buy your ties?!

3. bboysdontcryy

Haha. Well, apart from you, Drakes, Marinella, and Cappelli that I still use, I also get ties made in Asia. I think there are two tie-makers from Asia who are well-regarded on this forum. Only one is from Singapore :)

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I mean this in all sincerity: I love your presence in this thread.

There was that poster in the beginning who spent 300USD; it gets necrobumped, someone with a London location and a penchant for fine ties posts, and your on it like...I don't know...none of the analogies are flattering...ah...like a world renown cardiologist on a heart attack.

Next time I am in London...which won't be for a few years ([​IMG]), I promise to visit your store and buy a tie from you.

[​IMG]

5. davesmith

Now I get it, those are Vanda's prices.. haha.

You missed my point, his location is London yet he put prices in SGD and USD, that seemed a bit strange.

1 person likes this.
  6. bboysdontcryy

But Davesmith, do you think there's an uppermost threshold people are willing to pay for ties. For instance, do you think that ties that are priced beyond 130 USD will in all likelihood move slowly compared to those in the high nineties and low hundreds? Pardon my using USD as the currency, everybody on this forum uses USD.

7. davesmith

IMO, all depends on where they are being sold. Bergdorf Goodman is still is business because of where it is situated. If it was somewhere like (insert poor town here) then they might have a problem shifting Tom Ford and Kiton ties for $200+. The same applies with cheap ties, I have tried to shift ugly Charvet ties for less than $30 and no-one even took a second glance. I'm sure there are people on this forum that could elaborate on what I just wrote ten-fold.

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

...$30 or less. Personally, I don't see a reason to pay more than that. 99.9% of the time, no one can tell the difference, and in my opinion, the impact of "higher quality" on a tie is minimal.

9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Member

0. Ties are an anachronism and belong in the late Victorian period with all of the other Victorian junk and useless garbage, like laces on shoes. Clothes should be comfortable regardless of whether they're "dress" or sportswear. We're going to have to bring style and materials into the modern age.

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Welcome to StyleForvm.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Active Member

I spend about $125 at the most but have discovered some fantastic Charvets, etc. second-hand on eBay for around $40-50.

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

?

2 people like this.
  13. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

I've spend anywhere from $5 to $200 on ties

14. dainese

dainese Active Member

Up to $90AUD, but recently 2 for $100 tm lewin.
    I would prefer to draw the line at 50 aud, maybe one day when I make more money..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

^^liz Hurley unreal hot in that movie.

1 person likes this.
  16. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

17. Poloboy

Poloboy Well-Known Member

You a complete jackass for making your statement.

18. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

buy collars that fit. kthx.

19. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Member

Why is it always the lower classes who are attached to these antiquated ideas about dress?Perhaps it may be that they never wore these things when they were kids and it holds a certain fascination for them that they associate with their betters. Who knows, but this attachment to the garb worn a few generations ago and for some silly reason is still lingering on as it dies a slow death is a sign of a prole background.

20. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Member

It's an improvement over wearing a noose around your neck or heavy fugly looking uncomfortable laceup wingtips (the official shoe of cubicle dwelling drones and accountants lol) but it's not exactly what I meant.
    A lot of the stuff that men still wear is leftover from the fugly looking Victorian age. The lower classes back then bought used clothes and wore it until it was threadbare and perhaps had 2 shoes in a lifetime that they kept resoling (labour was cheap). The reason that shoes, clothes etc were so heavy and uncomfortable is that the average lower or middle classes had few clothes and the few they had needed to wear like iron.
    The tie is going to go the way of the hat within 5 years.And good riddance.