1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on a tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Jan 17, 2012.

How much do you spend on a tie?

1. $30-50

56 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. $51-70

43 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. $71-99

73 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. $100-$125

39 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. $125+

45 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Whoever said that silk ties don't last is talking out of their behind. Almost all my ties are 2nd hand or NOS of varying degree of vintage, whether wool, silk, linen or some combination. And I am pretty sure I have never paid more than $50. I don't object to paying more, but I just don't need to. Sure, anyone can treat tie badly and pull threads etc. but if you look after a tie, there is no reason why it won't last a lifetime or more.

2. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

The borrelli 11 folds are supposedly $600+ lol

3. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

I would like to see an 11 fold in my hands, bet that ties a decent knot.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

This is wrong, at least with any tie that's not complete crap or horribly abused.

And yes, a lot of the ties at your average thrift store will have problems. But not nearly all of them, or even most. In fact, many seem to be donated because the person donating them never really liked 'em much, and as such rarely wore them.

I have spent retail on ties before, but not often. Almost all of mine are from thrift stores, in great shape and classic patterns.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

hahaha

Thanks for all the responses guys. How are the ties from tiebar? I've never purchased from them but they look like they have a good selection. Are the on par with Brooks Brothers or Polo?

6. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Tom Ford ties are $285 retail

7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

You are paying to wear a label at that point. Also, nobody knows you are wearing a Tom Ford tie except yourself. It seems silly to pay that much for a tie IMO. Does the tie, tie itself?

8. Klobber

I agree on $285 being overkill for a tie, but even if you have a skilled hand at making great knots, a cheaply woven tie wont dimple as well nor allow for thicker knots unless one goes beyond the four in hand. I have a few Tom Ford ties, all purchased in and around $110 - and at that price, worth the money IMO.

9. jeff13007

$245, not that it would make it a better deal or anything lol

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I can get my hands on one, should you want to see it first hand. :)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. celeste_pista

celeste_pista Well-Known Member

i buy ties i like...some are $20, some are $150...as long as there is craftsmanship to apreciate and style that suits you...why obsess?

12. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Well-Known Member

kiton and stefano ricci much more,

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  13. swiego

swiego Well-Known Member

$50-100 is a fair price point for me. Plenty of excellent options in that range, and I've picked up too many good condition, nice pattern ties from Kiton, Ricci, etc. at that price point to believe that I absolutely need to go higher.

14. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Thanks! Hopefully more Battisti coming soon, they made a new line without the button & pocket. I wonder if they will sell as well as the others...

15. Klobber

Brown with white or black poka dots, length 60", I dibs that one this time if they have that pattern. Last time I missed out on it some guy got it before me.

16. jeff13007

:(

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Utter bullshiat, IMO. Yeah, there are low end ties that don't tie well, or deform with use, but there are also plenty that don't have those issues. And it's true that high end ties shouldn't ever have those issues. But the quality difference isn't nearly that great, and certainly not enough to justify spending hundreds on a bit of silk and wool with no functional requirement to do anything but tie around your neck and look pretty. If you as a designer can't mass produce something that hangs straight and uses a wool interlining that won't deform after 5 wears for under $50, you fail at life. Lots of other makers pull it off with ease.

Talking about quality differences in ties like they actually mean anything is rather hilarious. If a tie isn't complete crap, it's gonna be fine. It hangs around your neck and look pretty.

Also, thickness of the knot is reliant on the thickness of the wool interlining or the knot chosen, both of which are unrelated to quality. You can have lower quality thick interlinings or high quality thin ones. For that matter, the wool used for high quality thin interlinings probably has to be longer staple and thus more expensive.

18. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

How much did conne pay for his ties?

19. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

The answer is nada. But he makes money by selling them on B&S.

20. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

Nothing more than 150.