1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much do you pay for a shoe-shine?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Dec 19, 2011.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Beware. Many of these guys use products with that contain alcohol or other chemicals that are bad for your shoe leather in the long run. They also tend to produce a shine that might look like crap quite soon, vs. one done with proper products & technique, since the application is more superficial. The upside is that you quickly get a high gloss shine.

For this reason, I actively avoid getting my shoes shined by others. I prefer to use the best leather conditioners and waxes to ensure longevity (and my shoes definitely hold a shine better). Saphir is popular on SF, though expensive.

Granted, this has more relevance for high quality shoes that you hope will last for 10 years than for beaters.

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Truth. I got a shoeshine at a hotel in DC recently, and my shoes glistened. However, I later realized the guy had applied some sort of substance that was hard to remove and that made it difficult to sustain a shine for several days later. Never again.

3. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

I don't know if i'd use the haircut analogy. there are plenty of expensive stylists that do a piss poor job of cutting hair. likewise, there are inexpensive stylists that do a better job than some expensive stylists.

but to answer the OP's question, I pay $0 because I shine my own shoes. plus, I don't trust anyone but myself to properly shine my shell cordovan shoes.

4. gambit50

gambit50 Well-Known Member

I was going to make the same point about the haircut parallels a couple of days ago but glad someone did.
    Very true.

5. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

the skuff application looks interesting and all around good reviews.
    any pics you have of a before/after Andrew?
    and thanks for the pic on your shoe looks very nice

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. shoeguide

shoeguide Active Member

Shoeshine has a stigma which many on here convey
    Done correctly its an artform London Hilton has amazing by hand service
    Gieves and Hawkes also
    If in Toronto airport aswell

7. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

:slayer:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  8. arnathor

I shine my shoes and my fellow workmate often does a long 3-4hr shine-a-thon for pocket squares that I make and then trade for his services.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  9. arnathor

Gotcha! I'll edit that post and put it where it is appropriate, I figured you just used two caps by accident! Sorry boss!

1 person likes this.
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

There is a nice and slightly overpriced bar here that provides shoe shines. Uses mostly saphir with some colonil. It's free (but the drinks are already marked up from the already marked up Seoul prices...10 bucks for a Pilsner Urquell rather than the standard 8)

11. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Is the best shoe shine in Manhattan still Eddie's under Rockefeller ($2.50 a pop)?