1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How much did you pay for your wife's/fiancee's engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by merkur, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Good post, and Whiteflash is great. I was very pleased with the whole process there, and the stone is fabulous. They even sourced a designer setting for me with no extra markup.

They used to do discounts if you mentioned Pricescope too.

2. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

Looks like sperm cannibalizing it's tail.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I loled.

I think it's best to keep it simple and classic for e-rings.

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

[quote name="impolyt_one" url="/t/276276/how-much-did-you-pay-for-your-wifes-fiancees-engagement-ring/0_100#post_5011040", I was seeing American women nonchalantly post up 5 or 6 carats. What world do those people live in?[/quote]

That's $75k to $125k unless they were shit quality diamonds.
    Odds are these people are posting fake CZ's

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

Have prices gone up in the last 2 years?

6. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a disaster story.

I bought my then-fiancee a Cartier 0.91C for roughly $12K.

It didn't work out. Now I need to figure out how to sell the ring...

:(

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they've gone up that much. The key term is quality. You can buy a crappy .91 for that much and I'd bet that's what most people do. Very few people in the world focus on quality and research things to the extent we do on SF (and pricescope, in the case of diamonds).

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Yes.... Diamond prices have been going up for a while.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

So has gold and I believe platinum (steadily the last 2 years after a big drop) as well.

10. tomgirl

tomgirl Well-Known Member

I don't understand engagement rings. :confused:

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I think I spent about $800 on my wife's engagement ring, maybe a little bit more. We picked the ring out together and she is insanely frugal; each time I suggested a slightly larger diamond or one with a higher clarity or something, she would argue against it. In the end, the ring looked great and she was happy and that's all that mattered.

12. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

They represent an offer of commitment (or purchase, for Feminist studies majors) from the suitor to the father of the bride to be. "I got this expensive ring to show that I will take care of your daughter." "My daughter has accepted your offer so I will throw you two an extravagant feast to celebrate the union." Now somewhat vestigial or arbitrary I suppose, depending on the customs and expectations of the families involved.

2 people like this.
  13. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Well-Known Member

There's something to be said for interesting over classic. One can get a lot more ring for a lot less money by avoiding the CLASSIC engagement ring look. I picked this up for my fiance for about $6k. 2.4 carat, rose-cut diamond. It's obviously a bit unusual looking for an engagement ring, but it's really quite beautiful in person.

[​IMG]

14. Omar1223

Omar1223 Well-Known Member

anyone have any recommendations for wholesale websites for yellow diamond rings?

thanks for everyone who has posted in this thread. its been really helpful as i really dont know what im doing. this thread has been great for me to educate myself before i make a purchase.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

The easy answer is too much for a rock...

I'd have rather spent the money on a synthetic and used it on more useful stuff.

16. joshuadowen

Worry less about the rock and more about the overall ring. To use a metaphor that might resonate with members of the forum - you wouldn't buy top of the line fabric and have it made into a suit by just anyone. I think the same should be true of jewelry, including an engagement ring. Taking a very expensive rock and putting into a stock, run-of-the-mill setting is silly. Instead, find a custom jeweler, get some advice, talk about what sort of style your would-be fiance has, etc. If you let a quality craftsman make you a ring from scratch, you'll end up with something significantly more attractive, without having to worry so much about getting a big, perfect, diamond.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

You guys are all small-timers btw. I bought the future GQwifey a 5ct, D color, IF, AGS0 hearts and arrows diamond. It cost me a million dollars, which I thought was quite the bargain. I paid in cash.

18. joshuadowen

Hah. I'm not sure that's helpful to anyone in here...

19. KurtS90

KurtS90 Well-Known Member

If my would be fiance wanted a pricey engagement ring, it would be followed with a prenuptial agreement.

~Kurt

1 person likes this.
  20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

joshuadowen makes a good point...a nice, but smaller rock well set and most importantly well cut will make all the difference. Many independent jewelers can craft a ring far more unique and desirable than anything you would pay 2 or 3 times more for at Tiffany's or Cartier, etc.