• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many watches do you own?

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
Eight real:
1) and 2) Rolex
3) Audemars
4) Bulgari
5) and 6) Omega
7) Gerrard Perrageaux
8) ?maker from Carroll & Co.

Canal Street, Chinatown fakes (these drive Ernest wild)
1) Franck Muller
2) Patek
3) Audemars
4) Bulgari
5) Cartier

pgoat

Reaction score
I got up to a dozen at one point. No fakes but mostly in the $500 range, stock eta movements, Glycine, Oris, Seiko Divers, Gubelin. I eventually sold them due to nit picking over how the lugs fit on my wrist or the case size. I have big wrists and find 38-42mm works best for me.

I sold most of them and just kept 5 for practical uses, mostly ones given to me with sentimental value:

1957 Bulova - my dad's gold plated watch. Way too small for me at 32mm but keeps excellent time and fits under a snug shirt cuff wonderfully. I rarely wear it as I have a platinum wedding band and have to wear my one gold ring and set of gold tone cufflinks with it.

1992 Swiss Army Officer's watch on bracelet, my first decent watch after a string of timex and cheapo digitals in the 1980s, given to me by the wife (then girlfriend) after i graduated with my BS. Great all-around watch, looks great w/ t-shirt & Jeans, slim and fits well under shirt cuffs, keeps as close to perfect time as any watch I've owned.

2000 Seiko 5 - bought on a bored day online for $60. Good beater for everyday office wear, it's the only one of my purchases from my watch binges I kept, mostly because I wouldn't get anything selling it. My wife wore it for a while - it's a 36mm, so borderline small on me tho that is a standard men's dress watch size. I'll prolly give it back to her so I can wear my other stuff more.

2003 Omega Aquaterra - my wife bought for me on my 40th b-day. Beautiful watch, perfect size (41mm) and shape for me. The only problem is I'm scared to beat it up so it's gotten only sporadic wear. Silly I know and I plan to start wearing it more. (see above)

2006 Cateye HR monitor. My first year training w/ a HR monitor - what a diffrence! A power meter will be my next purchase for cycling..... I only wear this on the bike or for jogging, tho it's not bad looking for what it is.

I would like to get a chronograph or two (speedmaster Pro, IWC Flieger or doppel) as I don't own one, but I think 6 would be plenty for me. The problem with all these mechanicals is you need a winder to keep them going. ( I have three left over from all those watches I sold!)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
zippo

Except I think I may have a cheap skagen or something that broke about five years ago in the back of a drawer somewhere.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... should I count my two military-issued Shturmanskie and one plain old Poljot 3133 chronometers that need repair...
That is three.
Two Vostok, one a "dress" Amphibia with metallic brushed dial, one a Radio Room operator Amphibia.
One Seiko "Flieger" 5 (full lume face)
One Sea-gull "1963" chronometer.
One Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde (manual wind)
One Skagen which I don't remember and never wear
One Gucci (gift, quartz)
One Octo automatic dress watch (very nice little watch actually, I think ETA 2824)
One Alfa Romeo branded chronometer with a very nice titanium case (needs parts, Miyota quartz movement)
One Citizen ecodrive, San Remo tonneau

I think that is it... no big names but all have their charms. Well, except for the Gucci and the Skagen.

pinchi22

Reaction score
For me, only the mechanical ones count:

1) IWC Der Fliegerchronograph.
2) My grandpa´s vintage Rolex.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to start a modest collection:

Technomarine (weekend/gym)
Tag Heuer (high school graduation present)
Franck Muller Casablanca (engagement gift)
Chopard Millie Miglia (wedding gift)
Panerai PAM-111 (gift to myself)

Looking for a vintage watch on ebay to add to the collection.

andyw

Reaction score
A great passionate hobby! Over the years, I've owned over 150 watches and serially concentrated on sports watches, alarms, divers, time zone, vintage Seiko automatics and other complications that piqued my interest. I've stopped the watch collecting and whittled down the collection to keepers and have shifted my passions elsewhere, like this forum. So I now rotate the following on my wrist:

1. Hamilton White Gold Piping Rock w/ WG bracelet, circa 1930
2. Hamilton Yellow Gold Piping Rock, circa 1945
3. Enicar SS Sherpa Jet, circa 1960
4. Le Coultre SS Deep Sea Master Mariner, circa 1970
5. Omega SS Seamaster 120M w/Omega SS Divers chain link bracelet, circa 1970
6. Zenith SS Square El Primero Chronograph w/ OEM SS bracelet, circa 1975
7. IWC Porsche Design Titanium World Timer w/integral Titanium bracelet, circa 1980
8. Seiko Titanium Chrono Alarm w/integral Titanium bracelet, circa 1985
9. IWC SS Chrono Alarm Ingenieur w/integral SS bracelet, circa 1990
10. Swatch Divers Chrono, circa 1990
11. Ventura Titanium Large V-Matic Chronometer, circa 1995
12. Ebel Yellow Gold 1911 Sport, circa 1995
13. Cartier SS Large Tank w/ Cartier SS bracelet, circa 2000
14. Seiko Titanium Chrono Alarm, circa 2005

By the way, if you want to comingle watch collecting and sartorial tendencies; check out the Atelier du Bracelet Parisien, they make bespoke leather watch straps of superior quality...............also other small leather items. http://www.abp-paris.com/

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion, you only need 2. A sportier, thicker watch like a chrono or perpetual calendar. And a thin dress watch.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83

In my opinion, you only need 2. A sportier, thicker watch like a chrono or perpetual calendar. And a thin dress watch.

I agree but for really vigorous sports I prefer a third, inexpensive plastic/rubber sports watch - Timex, Casio, etc. Not only do you not want to bash up an expensive four-digit chronograph, they are kinda hevy and clunky if you are jogging, cycling, etc.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
I agree but for really vigorous sports I prefer a third, inexpensive plastic/rubber sports watch - Timex, Casio, etc. Not only do you not want to bash up an expensive four-digit chronograph, they are kinda hevy and clunky if you are jogging, cycling, etc.
I agree. I have two Tags for clunking around in. I'm actually thinking of bringing them back as my dailys. I'm just sick of scratching up gold watches wearing them every day.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two that I actually wear, since for the longest time I was "against" them. A dress watch with a black strap and one with a brown strap. A sports watch would complete the basic collection for now, but I would rarely wear it.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Counting mechanical ones only:
- One vintage divers watch
- One contemporary issue of a classic dress watch

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads