1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How many times do you read your email before sending?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mr.orange, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mr.orange

mr.orange Well-Known Member

I know it's en vogue to say "a guy I know" or something like that when it was you, but it really wasn't me. At the time I had no business sending emails to clients. I did get to reply to him saying "I can only assume you meant to say regards there". He was mortified. I would have been and would not be sharing such a story now. But that's just me.

only kidding bro, I know it was that Andrew guy. [​IMG]

I know you can't use it in court... but not sure if illegal... forum lawyers, what say ye?

where's that mountain man guy when you need him? the one that crushes beers on his forehead.

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

2-6 times, depending on the recipient.

3. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Well-Known Member

only kidding bro, I know it was that Andrew guy. [​IMG]

Phew!!! I thought for a second you had me there. Oh...wait...

4. worldrunner

worldrunner Well-Known Member

2-3 times...If its my boss... 4-5

5. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

OP, you have OCD!

6. mr.orange

Doubt it. You should see my messy ass room lol.

Sometimes I won't clean for a whole week.

7. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

A guy with whom I used to work once sent an email to a client without getting someone to proof read it first (including, I can only assume, himself). He signed off with:

Regards,
    Andrew

Or at least, that's what he meant to say. Unfortunately when he went for the "g" in regards, he missed and hit "t" by mistake. Spell check didn't pick it up. Oops. Made my day. Ever since then I've been quite careful about reading through emails before I send them. I'd never read one five times though unless I was rewriting because I didn't like how I'd worded something.

Hilarious

I once sent an email to a vp at Hewlett packard saying "Where do you want to get lunch, dude? I'm fucking starving.". Her email had the same first three letters as my coworker and I didnt notice that outlook auto-populated the to field with the wrong address, until right after I hit send. I was mortified. She was cool about it, knowing I was very junior, and just made fun of me a little.

Now I don't put in the email addresses until the email is proofread and ready to be sent.

8. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Well-Known Member

Hilarious

I once sent an email to a vp at Hewlett packard saying "Where do you want to get lunch, dude? I'm fucking starving.". Her email had the same first three letters as my coworker and I didnt notice that outlook auto-populated the to field with the wrong address, until right after I hit send. I was mortified. She was cool about it, knowing I was very junior, and just made fun of me a little.

Now I don't put in the email addresses until the email is proofread and ready to be sent.

Me too. My left mouse button and keyboard are at the same height, so if I slide my mouse across and into my keyboard by mistake, it sometimes clicks. I've been too close to passing over send when that accidental click happens to risk it any more.

9. mr.orange

Hilarious

omg lol

+1

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

+2, especially to higher-ups or sensitive e-mail.

11. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

Doubt it. You should see my messy ass room lol.

Sometimes I won't clean for a whole week.

only a week?

usually i read ~5 just to skim and make sure the dates are correct.

12. mr.orange

^^^

oh lawd, is that clean by most people's standards or what?

man I think this thread's dead. There's really nothing else to say [​IMG]

13. oatway

oatway New Member

I need to look at my keyboard while typing more than most people, so I will read my email once upon completion to check for errors. But once is enough for me. I also run a rule in Outlook to defer delivery for 2 minutes, because I used to occasionally hit send without attaching the attachments (but would always realize it immediately afterward).

14. mr.orange

^^^ do you, what do they call it, peck the keyboard with one finger?

I recommend taking a typing class. It will greatly enhance your keyboarding skills and you'll thank yourself for it. it's a little tough at first but once you get over that, you'll be typing 60/wpm. I'm surprised at how many people don't know how to type at work. or at how bad they are @ writing emails. Most of the time their emails read like someone who doesn't speak english wrote them. it's mainly the older folks at my job that do this.

sending emails without attachments :fu:

15. oatway

oatway New Member

It's far from a one-finger peck, I get all of my fingers involved, but I just don't use the proper fingers for each key. That's why I need to look down, to check where I'm at. I just did an online speed test for curiousity - 46 wpm. Not bad, but I see room for improvement; thanks for the suggestion.