1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a flat fast course for a marathon during the summer? I'd prefer cool dry weather at low elevation (I live at 5300 feet... Might as well get some benefit from the altitude training!). I'm looking for something before the the Boston Qualification window closes for next year (early September as I recall). This will be my first year in the new age group!

I have kind of a crappy base right now because of a month off due to a sprained ankle. But I think I can ramp up reasonably quickly. Whether or not I can convince my body to run a marathon 34 minutes faster than my PR is another question...

2. blahspam

blahspam Well-Known Member

Few that I know of / have heard about (I'm not a marathoner so take this all with a grain of salt):

Light at the End of the Tunnel in Washington in June. On smooth gravel road instead of asphalt/concrete but told it is still a very fast course.

Rockies in Denver in July. Starts at 10k finishes at 5k. Steady downhill the entire way. My old boss used this race as a BQ some time ago even though he never raced at elevation.

Edmonton Marathon in August. I've heard great things about this race and it's in Canada... so that probably counts for something.

There is one near Chicago in early September that is supposedly a really big/important BQ event but I cant think of the name of it and my Google fu is failing me this morning.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

That race in the Rockies looks like the way to go though it is sure to be a quad killer. I am still in the <35 age group and a 3:05 seems out of reach seeing as you have to beat that by a few minutes to have a chance to get into Boston. I can't imagine how I would train for that sort of downhill race other than a lot of squats.

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Damn, that thing looks like a quad-killer for sure... The race is in mid-June though, and I'm not sure I can peak for a marathon in three months after not running much for the past few months. My BQ standard is 3:15, so I'm aiming for a sub 3:10 time. Maybe if I do a whole lot of trail running around here, I can get the quads good to go by then. I'll have to consider it. [​IMG]

5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Just to further torture me, I just heard an ad on the radio for the Revel Rockies Marathon complete with a $20 discount (promo code RADIO if anyone is interested).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

8. Po1ntMe

Po1ntMe Active Member

First time running this year. +2.6 miles

9. jbarwick

8.2 miles last night. Seems the next week will be a lot of rainy runs. At least spring is here!

10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas... I've signed up for the Revel Rockies Marathon. I suppose I'd better get lots of downhill incorporated into my training now!

1 person likes this.
  11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

6.5 miles this morning outside. I've been slacking this winter and it showed in my pace today. I haven't totally let myself go though as I've been working out harder in the gym this winter than in recent years, but that's just made me add on a bit more weight and caused my muscles to tighten up some. When I have run outside, it's been shorter distances than I'd like. I want to work my way back up to the 40-50 mile a week range.

Thankfully, it looks like winter is starting to come to an end here. I don't see a single day in the long term forecast with temps below freezing. :slayer:

12. blahspam

blahspam Well-Known Member

Played hookie from work and ran 22 miserable miserable miles in 80+ degree temps. Bonked really hard around mile 16 or 17 and took a few miles to get things sorted (and even then I had a hard time running more than a few minutes at a time). Fortunately the last 3 miles were mostly downhill and there was a Guinness waiting for me at the end.

Trying not to beat myself up too bad but its hard to not let a bad run get in your head.

3 people like this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

5.5 miles after dark this evening. Good times!

14. wingin' it

6.8 miles with hill interval speed work

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  15. jbarwick

10 miles on wet roads. My Brooks Ghost have never been great wet weather shoes as I slip a little on my driveway.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

4.2 miles just now. Featuring nearly knocked me over winds and driving rain. I had a blast!

2 people like this.
  17. hirschlederne

hirschlederne Well-Known Member

The usual 1870 m yesterday and again today.

18. jbarwick

19. wingin' it

17.1 miles

1 person likes this.
  20. wingin' it

5.2 mile easy recovery run today.