• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SUPER K
find a 10k road race. chances are you'd run faster than 45 minutes in a race situation.

some track work is also helpful to work on speed

so true. Speedwork will make a huge difference. If you don't have anywhere good to do an interval workout you can always do a normal distance run while rotating something like 1min hard - 2 min regular pace.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm so stoked...had an IT Band issue the past two weeks, and gradually did a couple of 6 milers with plenty of rest in between this week...yesterday I did my standard (used to be daily before I started going back to the gym) 8 miles, and I feel GREAT!

I wish I would have been healthy enough to run the Brooklyn 1/2 yestreday though...was a great day for it...oh well, next year!

Young Pro

Reaction score
10km in 44:40 today. Not the most measured run, had to really sprint the last half mile or so to make the time, but very pleased overall with my progress so far.

Think I'm going to start mixing in some speed bursts (~1-2 minute sprints) every 7-8 minutes or so. Thoughts?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro
Think I'm going to start mixing in some speed bursts (~1-2 minute sprints) every 7-8 minutes or so. Thoughts?

Honestly, I'd do them only once a week or so on what used to be rest days. It'll probably help out a lot more and not mess up your pacing.

Then again, jwied is a much better distance athlete than probably most on this forum and a hell of a lot better than I am. I suck as soon as I get off the track and hit the road (PR for a 10K is right around yours).

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 mile trail run in a few mins.. the Rock n' Roll Marathon in the background is making me feel lazy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just started running again two weeks ago (treadmill) Ran my first mile in about twelve years last week. Ran two miles yesterday.

Young Pro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Honestly, I'd do them only once a week or so on what used to be rest days. It'll probably help out a lot more and not mess up your pacing.

Good idea, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm only running twice a week right now anyway, I hit the bike for ~18-20 miles the other two days to minimize knee/shin impact and just to keep things interesting.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just started running yesterday, for the first time in about 10 years. not very long, but it was a start.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back to running after a 6 week forced hiatus due to a car accident!
bounce2.gif

5K at 8:51 yesterday. 4.35 at 8:59 today.

-Jeff

jwied82

Reaction score
44'40 10k off 2 days a week is good! You could improve that by minutes just by building a bigger mileage base, without any speedwork.

I myself never really do the bursts in the middle of a run thing. sometimes i will gradually ratchet up the pace throughout a run or try to finish a run at a faster pace, but i dont like alternating bewteen paces throughout a run, it just doesnt feel good to me. When i want to get speedwork in will just do intervals with rest between or a steadily paced tempo run.
I know ive heard the argument that bursts during a run simulate what you might do in a race, but in reality most people arent going to be trying to cover surges from other people in races or adjusting to pace changes as part of competitive tactics.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ran two miles on the treadmill at my gym last night.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm still trying to bounce back from several weeks of inconsistent running due to knee and back problems. I was up to 4 miles consistently when I had to back off due to the injuries. Last Friday I pushed through to 3 miles, and was fairly pleased. I ran again yesterday but hit the wall at 2.5 miles. Very frustrating. I've got a couple of 5ks I want to run this month, and I'm not at the level I'd like to be.

So, back at it tomorrow, I guess.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I'm still trying to bounce back from several weeks of inconsistent running due to knee and back problems. I was up to 4 miles consistently when I had to back off due to the injuries. Last Friday I pushed through to 3 miles, and was fairly pleased. I ran again yesterday but hit the wall at 2.5 miles. Very frustrating. I've got a couple of 5ks I want to run this month, and I'm not at the level I'd like to be.

So, back at it tomorrow, I guess.

It's not what you want to hear. But if you do have serious knee or back problems I would scale back the running significantly and concentrate on low impact cardio (swimming, rowing etc...) If you plan on racing then put in a small run every so often or when you feel good to keep the legs in running form.

I have found racing (not at the elite level) to be more a fitness thing than a specific training issue. I ran my first 1/2 marathon at 1:29 and logged ~10 miles a week... the rest of the cardio was all rowing.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm doing about 5km runs three times a week. I just started running a month ago, so I am just up 5km now. I hope to go longer distances by the end of the Summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads