1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

5.7 miles this am in Bangor, Maine. On vacation for a week and starting in Bangor and working our way to Halifax. Should get some miles in along the shore hopefully. Need to figure out how many miles per lobster eaten I will need to run.

1 person likes this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

4 instead of 9. I think I'm overtraining. Or undersleeping. Or something. I think I might skip tomorrow's run and see if I can't be a bit fresher for Saturday's 20.

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I have a 5k XC race on Sunday, for which I am preparing by doing absolutely no running at all this week. I feel pretty confident I can still go out and blast this one...

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I did a mellow 5.0 mile run this evening in 47:00... After almost nothing but cycling for the past month, I'm ready to mix running back in. =)

2 people like this.
  5. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

4.2 this morning, over the weekend I'll be ready to start increasing mileage on my long-ish runs by about a mile per week

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

4.6 this morning.

I have a HM on Sunday that I've been running since it's inception 7 years ago. They've always run in on basically the same route. It's scenic with a good mixture of concrete, asphalt, dirt roads, and gravel trail, and there are a few good hills including a long, steady, 250' climb over the course of a couple of miles.

Well, this year there is road construction along the normal route and the change has revised the long steady climb into a 250' climb over less than 1/3rd of a mile! That is a very steep climb for this area of Michigan so it should be interesting. I've run on this year's hill a few times but not at all in nearly a year. I don't think I'll be setting a PR, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. :slayer:

3 people like this.
  7. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

4.5 miles on the trail last night. This weekend will be some hiking on Saturday and maybe a quick 8 miles Sunday. Next week will be maybe 2 shakedown low mile days before my race next weekend.

8. johncieera

johncieera Member

Woke up early in the morning. ran two miles and rested two hours and hit the gym

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

This morning, 8 miles. Temperature, 42 degrees. No wind, no problem. I wore gloves. As long as my hands are warm, I'm fine.

For the entire week, Michigan has had ideal, perfect weather: cool mornings, clear blue skies, moderate afternoon temperatures. I wish this would last forever.

10. FlyingMonkey

5k cross-country race today - harder and hotter than I was expecting. I didn't get anywhere near the 19 minutes I was aiming for - 20.27 in the end - but I was 3rd, and 1st in my age group, so no-one was running road-race times. Not bad considering my training for this has largely consisted of not running much and drinking too much beer.

2 people like this.
  11. jbarwick

Got in something like 6.5 miles today followed by washing/waxing our cars. Tomorrow will be a hike in the morning since I have the day off :)

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

6 miles this morning. I finally found a hill near my place, which is just an overpass over a road on the trail I've been running, but it is pretty steep. I ran over that a few times during my run, and it was tough since I'm not used to hills, but I'm excited to start doing it more to build up my endurance.

2 people like this.
  13. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

8.2 imiles n Moncton, NB and 6.2 miles in Halifax, NS this am. Halifax is a really nice city.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

18.2 yesterday

1 person likes this.
  15. Michigan Planner

13.2 miles yesterday in a half marathon (thankfully they didn't charge me more for that tenth of a mile) in 1:42:54. I missed a PR by 2.5 minutes, but I'm very happy with my time considering I ran an awful marathon the previous weekend and had a bad cold all week leading up to the half. The course also had some horrendous hills along the second half of the route but I kept my pace from falling. I just now looked at my splits and realized that I also ran miles 2 through 5 below 6:40/minutes. I don't know when the last time I kept that pace up for that long was.

I believe Halifax is near the top of the list of "bars per capita" in large cities. A friend and I keep trying to make it out there for the Halifax Pop Explosion and 2015 looks like the year it might finally happen. The brother of another friend goes to college out there and has no desire to move back to the U.S. afterwards. I've heard a lot of great things about that city.

3 people like this.
  16. jbarwick

Got in a 2.5 mile hike this morning....loved the slow pace. Legs feeling good for this weekend though yesterday's effort was only 1/5th the distance and had some slight soreness yesterday. Finishing isn't an issue...it's my goal that may go down.

17. sugarbutch

Got in 6.8 this morning before dropping my boys off at school. New wheels: Adidas Supernova Glide 6. After Saturday's pounding, I decided to get some more cushioning for my long runs. They felt great this morning. I've never run in Adidas before, but these felt better than the Asics and Brooks in the same style.

18. FlyingMonkey

Got to say that I'm very surprised to find that I'm quite a bit faster than you over this distance given the intimidatingly large number of miles you put in...

19. sugarbutch

Sheeeit. I'd give my left nut to run 4 miles at 6:40, let alone as part of a half.

20. Michigan Planner

5.2 miles in a steady mist this morning. It wasn't unpleasant.

I am not built for speed. I am short and have stubby German sausage legs. Even when I was in the Marines, had just gotten out of boot camp, was 30 pounds and 18 years lighter, the best I could get my 3 mile time down to was about 20 minutes (I might actually be able to break down below 19 now). Sometimes I worry that my wife will want to take up running. She's tall(er than me anyway) and thin and has long legs and I'm quite confident that she would smoke me in a 5k pretty easily with little to no training.

Plus, I eat A LOT of junk food. I think my blood type is probably "Frappuccino" by now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    3 people like this.