• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cautionary tale: My buddy training for the NY Marathon just got diagnosed with stress fractures in his ankle. He's a good runner, and diligently takes care of himself and it still happened to him. Listen to your body, fellas!

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^What do you do to prevent that besides running less?

IIRC you can strengthen your ankle by doing certain exercises. Ill look for a video later on.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cautionary tale: My buddy training for the NY Marathon just got diagnosed with stress fractures in his ankle. He's a good runner, and diligently takes care of himself and it still happened to him. Listen to your body, fellas!
Worth quoting again.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
After a visit to my regular physician, two orthopedic doctors, an MRI, and 6 weeks of physical therapy...I still can't run due to pain in my right calf. Off to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow! The hardest part about not being able to run is definitely mental. It has taken its toll over the last year. I hope you all stay healthy!

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yesterday:
AM 3
PM 8.2 with one of the hardest workouts of my life. 1 x 1k from 7100->7250 feet (554 pace)
then 3 x 800 meters up the same hill averaging just under 6 min/mile pace I think.
Seriously thought I was going to die. Awesome pain though. The type of stuff I need in order to be stronger late in races.

In terms of preventative measures for stress fractures, and general injury prevention
a) running on soft surfaces/trails as much as possible. I usually save the asphalt for workouts. Unstable soft surfaces are easier on your body, and the uneven surface forces your body to develop strength in the smaller support muscles in your legs, so that when you run you are better equipped to brace against the impacts that can cause stress fractures
b) practice running barefoot. Strong feet and legs make healthy runners, and running 10+ miles a week on grass with no shoes is a great way to develop both proper running form and additional strength in your feet.
c) do form drills - proper running form leads to less impact on your bones, and a more efficient stride. You will be less likely to injure yourself if you can consistently run with good form. This helps a ton in getting faster as well. Take a look at this link to see one of the US Olympians, Dathan Ritzenhein demonstrating form drills. He is a guy who was once plagued by injuries (especially stress fractures), but with new coaching and a new routine he has been running injury free for a while.
http://www.gatorade.com/programs/program.aspx?id=inside-endurance&es=inside-endurance-form-drills
d) Run with proper footwear. Go to a running shoe specialty store if possible (or you can use runningwarehouse.com's online form analysis) and get fitted for the right type of shoe. This will help to protect your feet and ankles from absorbing the wrong type of shock.
e) LISTEN TO YOUR BODY - do not try to run through injury. Take a couple rest days if you are hurting, and then start back up slowly. If symptoms do not go away, get to a doctor to get yourself checked out.
f) Do hill repeats. These make you a beast, and beasts are less likely to get hurt!
g) get enough to eat. Make sure you are getting calcium and protein in your diet, as well as salt and carbs so that you have enough fuel to rebuild muscles and recover. Also staying hydrated is super important.

Sorry for the lengthy response - just my 2 cents on some ways to stay running healthily.

Here is a pic of me getting ****** kicked at that last xc meet. Obviously my form has broken down a bit . . . .

I did beat the old guy by about 20 seconds or so - he is one of the best masters runners in the country though, and I lost to his brother . . .

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After a visit to my regular physician, two orthopedic doctors, an MRI, and 6 weeks of physical therapy...I still can't run due to pain in my right calf. Off to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow! The hardest part about not being able to run is definitely mental. It has taken its toll over the last year. I hope you all stay healthy!
I don't mean to alarm you but this sounds familiar. My experience was 8 years ago with pain in my left calf. I thought I had a strain or something because I couldn't walk 500 feet without excruciating pain, and definitely couldn't run. Turned out to be much worse than a mere strain - it was a blockage that resulted in a "pop-to-pop" bypass of the artery behind my left knee. The good news is that all is fine now.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.9 easy run today.

Good suggestions about injury prevention. Couple not mentioned so far, but probably known:
- Ramp up mileage slowly. Many articles out there about 10% increases each week.
- Take days off during the week as you ramp up mileage to heal. More is not necessarily better.
- Easy runs should be easy slower runs. They also allow your body to get used to mileage without stressing it too much.

I really like and believe in the practice of running hills. So many benefits come from them.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My nippels started to chafe today :(

Do you guys apply anti-chafing gel on your nipples?

I prefer not to run shirtless so I am considering compression UA type shirts, does anyone use them or have any recommendations?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In terms of preventative measures for stress fractures, and general injury prevention

There's some mighty good advice here. Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the nipple chaffing - bodyglide has worked really well for me in the past. Some running shirts work better than others for me also.
6 this AM for me, and I am tired/ready to go back down to sea level

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads