1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a pack. Debating between the Ultimate Direction AK and Ultraspire Spry. Really just want something to carry a few extra items in for emergencies that my handheld bottle packs cant fit.

As for runs I got in 7.5 miles in last night. Have been having some hip pain but just need to buy a foam roller as that helped the other night at the gym.

In other news I may need to have surgery again....will find out next Wednesday. Hoping I don't as it would be a crushing blow to my motivation.

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I was planning on getting in about 10 miles this morning but like an idiot I over did it at the gym on Wednesday morning racking up about 150 pull-ups and 300 dips; not all at once of course - I would do a set of 10 dips, 10 pull-ups, and 10 more dips before and after each weight machine or cardio activity I did. Yesterday afternoon I could feel my back beginning to tighten up and by the evening it was just unbearable, especially when transition from sitting to standing, or going from standing back to sitting. The middle of the night was the worst and I would wake up every time I rolled over.

So instead of my run today I went for a walk around town for a few miles before leaving for work. I don't think my sore back would have prevented me from finishing my run, but the lack of sleep was what would kill me. Oh well...

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I need to start doing pull-ups. The last time I tried, it was embarrassing.

4. jbarwick

I supplement my running with CrossFit a couple of days a week. Now I know people complain about the whole CrossFit mentality and such but I am there to build some strength to supplement my running as I said. Also it makes my day better when running is involved in a WOD and I crush the guys who lift the heavier weights. Pull ups no matter how you do them are tough but get easier. Just don't hurt yourself on them.

Also have a good weekend of running everyone! Looking to put in the (s)mile(s).

1 person likes this.
  5. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

I know several that own and enjoy the AK vest. I have one as well but have modified it a bit. The biggest thing I see with liking it or not is carrying the bottles up front on your chest. It's different, but many don't mind. I friend of mine did the Leadville 100 wearing it and was very happy. I put a bladder in the back pak and used the front to carry gel/food. The bottles are kind of lousy, but can be replaced. Never used the Srpy but I really like the Alpha pak.
    Good luck with doc appt. Hopefully no surgery.

6. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I'll wager that my pull-up attempts are more embarrassing than yours!
    I'm a TRX and kettlbebell guy.

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

^ TRX is great...when I was working as a personal trainer I had all my clients using that, from people who never set foot in a gym before up to more advanced people.

8. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

7 miles this evening on my favorite trails...

9. clarinetplayer

This morning, a nice 6 mile run that took me past Michigan Stadium where I will be in a few hours when Michigan plays Nebraska. A must-win game for Michigan after last week's epic failure.

Also, I ran by the "cube" and gave it a twirl for good luck. (Not my picture, but it did look like this.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  10. jbarwick

What is this cube? Never heard of it.

Got in 7.25 miles on the trails today. Felt really good and knocked off a couple of minutes on my PR. Since the distance is a 2.5 mile path and a 4.5 mile path plus to/from my car, there are different directions you can take. Today's counter clockwise/counter clockwise pattern seems to be very runnable the whole time so it my be my new favorite direction the run this trail. The other option is steeper climbs with gradual decent but is slower.

11. clarinetplayer

The cube is on the plaza in front of the University of Michigan Administration Building. It was placed there circa 1971. It spins.

12. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

My first 5k!

(Still in the sloooow walking/running build-up stage):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Onetwobit

Onetwobit Well-Known Member

Congrats NOBD. I'm still working my way up to 5k.

Ran 1.5 miles every morning since my last update. Running 2 miles today.

14. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Well, so am I. : ) My schedule now is 3' - 4' - 4' - 3' - 3' of running, with walking minutes in between. Haven't ran a km in one go yet... I did get a new 1 km record (including two minutes of walking):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Congrats on the first 5k!

I did a tough 12 mile trail run yesterday and almost knocked myself out by tripping on a root going downhill. Fortunately I caught myself!

I also got two pairs of Hokas in the mail. I get to try the first pair today!

[​IMG]

16. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Ran 6.7km this morning.

17. jbarwick

Congrats on the PR's everyone.

Fueco - Keep us updated on the Hoka's. I have not seen them in person but it seems they are the shoe to get these days. The company that makes them, Deckers, had a great quarter.

As for me I took Friday off to rest legs. Saturday was a 9am CrossFit class which was pretty mild followed by a 7.25 mile trail run around noon. It felt great and I could have continued but was out of water. Today I ran 15.3 miles on a trail run and I need to download the run from my garmin to see elevation change. I am going to guess around 4000' of total change making in 2000' incline/decline. It took ~2:30 total. The second lap felt completely different from the first lap as the sun was at a different angle making the shadows longer. I surprised myself with an average under 10min/mile which is usually my goal on the trail. Was running out of energy towards the end as well as fluids so I need to get a bigger hand held as well as some sort of calories for the run.

18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Ran six miles in the more used pair of Hokas. I need a bit more breaking in, but they felt good!

19. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

3.5 miles on Friday and about 5 miles today w/ warm-up / race / cool down. Took about 11 days off after training and race season was over to let body recover. Wanted to run the Vet's Day trail run here today. Plan to take another 5 days completely off and then begin to get back into things starting next weekend.

Anyway, the Vets Day trail race here was 4.3 miles long. I finished 11th overall out of 139 w/ a time of 33:43 (7:44 pace). For the first time ever, I can say I won the Masters Category (40 and up). Feeling pretty good about the race and fitness level ending this year.

JBarwick: the double bottle holders are another option if the backpack isn't ideal for the 15 mile runs. One of the guys in our group swears by the Ultimate Direction Kotoa. Holds two bottles and a decent sized pak for gels, keys, etc. Pretty decent at $50.

1 person likes this.
  20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

7.5 miles yesterday, 7.5 miles today. Switched up the routes for each one, and felt good along the way. Ate two large bags of grapes today, I think I was just thirsty