• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zero. Running for distance might just be my least favorite athletic activity. I did bike for 6 to 7 miles though.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Its great to see this thread take off
smile.gif

I couldnt get a run in last night
frown.gif
but its ok my legs have been sore for running 3 miles a day for the past 3 days, the break was good, im gonna re up tonight tho, i might try a slow 3 and do a few pushups and situps
fing02[1].gif

and as for the shoes, does one really need to go and get fitted? I wanna try and run consistently now, i used to do this all the time last summer but fell off during school, but this go araound im sticking to it to help get my weight down. Should i go to a store and get fitted if ill be trying to run everyday? I put on my old running shoes the last run (been using my basketball shoes to try and break them in for first 2 days) and my toes started to hurt
plain.gif

I was looking at those nike free shoes, i like the idea of getting back to the basics, trying to replicate barefoot running, and not over padding the foot so as to let it grow stronger, has anyone used these before?

abefroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
How do some of you guys manage to hit 3 miles a day consistently. I am honestly finding myself stopping at around 2-2.5 miles at a 8-9 minute pace. I figure its my endurance...but damn is it hard.

slow down. if you can't run and carry a conversation you're running too fast. don't worry about pace at all until you've been running for a year....maybe more.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MonkeyFresh;1136961 said:
Should i go to a store and get fitted if ill be trying to run everyday?
Yes.

I put on my old running shoes the last run (been using my basketball shoes to try and break them in for first 2 days) and my toes started to hurt
plain.gif
They're too small.

I was looking at those nike free shoes, i like the idea of getting back to the basics, trying to replicate barefoot running, and not over padding the foot so as to let it grow stronger, has anyone used these before?
Terrible idea for running. Your feet will break down faster than they'll strengthen. Running shoes are running shoes -- Nike Frees are bullshit marketing.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by abefroman
slow down. if you can't run and carry a conversation you're running too fast. don't worry about pace at all until you've been running for a year....maybe more.

I disagree with the carrying a conversation part, I run at a pace where im forced to concentrate on breathing, and be fully aware of the muscles moving in my legs, i feel if im running and am able to have a conversation its not doing any good

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
why;1136983 said:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh

Yes.

They're too small.

Terrible idea for running. Your feet will break down faster than they'll strengthen. Running shoes are running shoes -- Nike Frees are bullshit marketing.

Haha ok then its settled i guess
smile.gif

just hafta find the nearest running outfitter
and are they really? so how is it kenyan runners can run barefoot and not get destroyed? im not doubting you i know nike running shoes are a joke, but i thought there might b hope on these lol

rox88

Reaction score
Got my new shoes and seem to be better. Real comfortable. Did a mile, light cramping started to build up at about half way, and by the time I was done my feet were sore, but not as sore as before. So that's not bad, just a matter of getting used to it I think.

abefroman

Reaction score
I disagree with the carrying a conversation part, I run at a pace where im forced to concentrate on breathing, and be fully aware of the muscles moving in my legs, i feel if im running and am able to have a conversation its not doing any good

you can disagree all you want, you would be wrong though.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by abefroman
you can disagree all you want, you would be wrong though.

well when i get hyped when an awesome song comes up on my ipod while i run i always get into this kind of zone and really hafta focus, get me pumped
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

but when im casually jogging i suppose i can carry a convo, because if i ran hard the whole time i think id die lmao
but i wouldnt want to have a conversation when i ran, mayb its just me but i love to clear my head when im running

Also, idk if anyone else does this, but i have certain parts of the park i run in that i force myself to run full speed then jog the other parts, i think its a swedish running technique idk what its called, anyone know?

abefroman

Reaction score
well when i get hyped when an awesome song comes up on my ipod while i run i always get into this kind of zone and really hafta focus, get me pumped
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

but when im casually jogging i suppose i can carry a convo, because if i ran hard the whole time i think id die lmao
but i wouldnt want to have a conversation when i ran, mayb its just me but i love to clear my head when im running

Also, idk if anyone else does this, but i have certain parts of the park i run in that i force myself to run full speed then jog the other parts, i think its a swedish running technique idk what its called, anyone know?

it's called fartlek (running fast for brief periods).

you really shouldn't even be worrying about fartleks at this point though as it's a speed excercise. most seasoned runners will advise you to not even worry about speed for at least a year or until you've been consistently running 30+ miles a week.

It really depends on what your goals are. if you only ever want to run 3-4 miles at a time, run your heart out. if you want to build a base, and really put some distance in, you need to slow down. if your main concern is weight loss, maintenence, toning, etc. you should really slow down and try to build one long run a week into your routine.

check out coolrunning, kick runners, maybe even runner's world and do a bunch of reading. pretty much everyone will tell you to slow down.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I used to be into running bigtime. Training for high school CC in the summers, I'd log at least 80 miles a week.

Now I don't run much at all. I do bike quite a bit, though. I do a 4 mi bike workout every morning. Then I ride my bike to work (3 mi roundtrip), so I get about 7 miles a day. Some days I go longer in the mornings, some days I go shorter.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KW, Aren't you kinda chubby?

Just kidding! I dropped 60 lbs thru running a few years ago so I'm one to talk.

Today:

10 minutes stationary bike, HR@150-160
30 minutes slow run treadmill, 10 m/m
20 minutes conversation with front desk babe

I'm about due for new shoes. I found that Asics Gel Kayanos work well for me, but the factory insole kind of sucks for shock absorbtion. Any recommendations on a good insole to save my achy knees?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so how is it kenyan runners can run barefoot and not get destroyed?
The terrain and other factors (genetic, bodyweight, etc.). Top-level athletes use the correct shoes for their sport. I bet if you gave Kenyans running shoes they'd use them. Besides, if you aren't a barefoot-running 6' 135lb. Kenyan, why would you run like one?

KhouriC

Reaction score
4.14 miles, mapped my run that i did in CP on tuesday.

Now if only there was a gym in CP i could stop going to NYSC.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
KW, Aren't you kinda chubby?

Yep!
blush.gif

My diet is what's killin me. I've lost 30 pounds over the last year, but still have a long way to go to meet my goal. If I get my diet in order, it shouldn't be a problem given how much exercise I do. Plus, when I was doing the 80 mi/week thing in HS, I was a ripped 5'11", 160. Those were the days!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads