1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. warlok1965

warlok1965 Well-Known Member

I run 6 days a week, usually anywhere from 2 to 6 miles. On lower mile days I do upper body weights. Today I chose not to run because my knee was not feeling it (may be time for new shoes), so I did 10 minutes on the stairmaster and 45 minutes of weights.

2. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Well-Known Member

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

for those who run 6+ miles per day.

are you of lean build? for those who are trying to add muscle, does running 5- more miles a day make it difficult to add muscle/bulk to your overall frame? thanks

4. bach

bach Well-Known Member

my routine is to do full-body weight lifting every other day, and to run 3 miles in 30 minutes on the days that i don't weight train.

does anybody know if this amount of cardio would negatively affect muscle building? i used to go really light on the cardio but 3 miles every other day is more substantial...

5. rox88

rox88 Active Member

1 mile. My feet cramp so bad I have to stop half way.
    I'm guessing it's because I'm running on a gravel path?
    I ran about a year ago, on an indoor track that was pretty much cement, didn't cramp, but got shinsplints.
    I have orthotics, and just ordered a good pair of running shoes.
    I have Nike Shox, but I think they are too skinny for my feet, even with orthotics.
    Plus I am 245lbs (about 5lbs overweight), so I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to get used to running again.

6. warlok1965

for those who run 6+ miles per day.

are you of lean build? for those who are trying to add muscle, does running 5- more miles a day make it difficult to add muscle/bulk to your overall frame? thanks

The conventional wisdom is that too much cardio will prevent anabolic processes from building muscle mass. IMO there is some truth to it but it really depends on your body. If you google Dean Karnazes who is a crazy endurance runner (he tried running across the US but gave up halfway because he missed his family), he's got a lot of muscle mass and is in no way skinny.

Me, I vacillate because while I dislike my lack of 6 pack abs, when I kick up my mileage to 30+ miles a week I feel like I get so skinny I look like 98 lb weakling. But when I drop the mileage, add carbs and calories, lift more weight, I just get fatter. [​IMG]

7. feynmix

feynmix Well-Known Member

I usually run 4-8 miles per run, depending on how i feel. Today, I think it should be a 6 miler. Lets see. Go to runnersworld.com for some helpful info. I am a member there.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

The conventional wisdom is that too much cardio will prevent anabolic processes from building muscle mass. IMO there is some truth to it but it really depends on your body. If you google Dean Kamen who is a crazy endurance runner (he tried running across the US but gave up halfway because he missed his family), he's got a lot of muscle mass and is in no way skinny.

Me, I vacillate because while I dislike my lack of 6 pack abs, when I kick up my mileage to 30+ miles a week I feel like I get so skinny I look like 98 lb weakling. But when I drop the mileage, add carbs and calories, lift more weight, I just get fatter. [​IMG]

hmm. this is good to know. thank you.

9. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

curious, does anyone run with their dog?
    i think im going to try it this afternoon

10. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

If I had a dog, I would never run without him. When I visit my family, I take my sister's dog running.

11. feynmix

I ran about a year ago, on an indoor track that was pretty much cement, didn't cramp, but got shinsplints.
    I have Nike Shox, but I think they are too skinny for my feet, even with orthotics.
    Plus I am 245lbs (about 5lbs overweight), so I'm guessing it will take a few weeks to get used to running again.

go to a running store and get fitted for the right running shoes. There are many different types depending on how your feet land. Every pair of feet requires a specific type of running shoes.

12. feynmix

i see people running with their dogs all the time at the lake i run at. They all seem to enjoy it.

13. why

why Well-Known Member

But more compelling to me was that before I switched to morning runs, I ran post-work with my roommate at the time. We covered Memorial loop (2.9 miles) after work three to four times a week, and my waist hovered around 34". Our work schedules diverged and I switched to morning running. Same distance, same frequency, same eating habits and supplementation, and my waist fell to 32". Everything else remained farily constant, one variable changed, and the results were different.

I find that I tend to get more hungover if I sleep with my clothes on. I've since started sleeping naked to avoid getting hungover.

Nothing else changed. I sleep the same amount, in the same position, and in the same bed.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. I've always heard and read that doing cardio in a fasted state (which is the state that you are in when you wake up in the morning because you haven't eaten for several hours) burns more fat than doing cardio in a fed state. As I understand it, this occurs because in a fasted state your insulin levels are very low and high insulin levels are antithetical to weight loss. However, the downside of this is that you also lose muscle by doing fasted cardio (that's why most runners are not very muscular), and most bodybuilders do not do fasted cardio.

Technically that's decent science, but it misses the big picture. Running on a full stomach of carbohydrates per se may decrease lipid oxidation (fat burning) during the run (some studies show lipid oxidation to be equal, but they were pretty crappy studies), but in the time afterward lipid oxidation will increase due to the caloric deficit.

In other words, it basically comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

Fasted cardio was actually popularized by bodybuilders along with other fat loss mythology.

14. bach

bach Well-Known Member

If you google Dean Kamen who is a crazy endurance runner

wikipedia says dean kamen is an inventor who came up with this:

[​IMG]

15. warlok1965

16. abefroman

abefroman Member

go to a running store and get fitted for the right running shoes. There are many different types depending on how your feet land. Every pair of feet requires a specific type of running shoes.

+1 . also, after your first pair, find them online for much less (I consider the inflated cost of the first pair as payment for the fitting service).

but yeah, 8 last night. 10 tonight.

17. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Yeah, shox are shit for running, especially if you are of greater than average weight. You probably need a shoe with more stability. Like the others have said, go to a running store an bite the bullet. I have had luck with the stability and support of the Asics GT2120's.

18. why

why Well-Known Member

I run a marathon every day. My penis is also 20" long.

19. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I run a marathon every day. My penis is also 20" long.

lol.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

5K a day, in intervals. Usually takes about 21 minutes, rest times included. 2x2 6 minutes miles, and then 4x400 m splits. Then a 0.13 km cool down. Just the way I like it. I used to run 6 miles loops in Boston and LA, but this takes less time, I really feel the kick, and it leaves me more time for the rest of my workout (and important coinsideration now that I have kids). Besides, I was never a good long distance runner.