1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How many miles did you run today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MonkeyFresh, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Modern Day Adonis

Modern Day Adonis Well-Known Member

Be careful man, thats how mine started, and it had me out for months...still isn't 100% which is why I'm not as visible here and running as much as I used to...sucks, and is incredibly painful (barely able to walk for a few weeks this summer)

I appreciate it, I'll take today off and probably tomorrow as well. I'll ice and take ibuprofen to help prevent any more inflammation; I definitely don't want to end up with anything serious, right now it's only sore during dorsiflexion.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

I appreciate it, I'll take today off and probably tomorrow as well. I'll ice and take ibuprofen to help prevent any more inflammation; I definitely don't want to end up with anything serious, right now it's only sore during dorsiflexion.

Give it a good warm up and stretch about a mile in...I remember exactly what I did to hurt mine, worked out hard in the AM, took the kids and wife in the car and drove down to Cape May from Brooklyn for a week vacation...sat in 4 hours of traffic, got there and HAD TO RUN. problem was I must've logged close to 50 miles that week already, and was regularly doing 30ish...some dude on the boardwalk kept trying to pass me, and like an idiot I tore ass at what had to be a sub 6 min mile pace for the last two miles...got to the hotel and felt sore, the next morning I was still sore, and jogged with my kids in the double stroller (easy recovery pace), got back, had breakfast and could barely walk the rest of the week. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Its still gives me a little bit of an issue now, but I monitor it much more closely and incorporate biking at the gym to make up for miles I don't do on the road. I only do about 20-30 miles on a really good week now. Had electro therapy done, but didn't take the b-12 injection (needles are my last resort). Its getting slightly better every week, but some weeks have set-backs...hoping to be all done by the summer.

Yesterday, 4.5 miles, listening to the Mumford & Sons album...nice sunset pics, will post later

3. Bentonen

Bentonen New Member

3 is my limit i run them daily and it is enough to make myself healthy and stay fit .

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

4 miles, wanted to run more but duty called. 29:11

5. NewYorkIslander

4 Miles on a beautiful night:
    [​IMG]

6. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Dreadmill again.

4.11 miles in 35:00 (avg. 8:31 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

AC/DC - "Hell's Bells"
    Deep Purple - "Highway Star [1997 Remix]"
    Black Sabbath - "Wasp/Behind the Wall of Sleep/Bassically/N.I.B."
    Jethro Tull - "Hymn 43"
    Triumph - "Fight the Good Fight"
    Radiohead - "Bodysnatchers"

7. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

NYR, that's an awesome photo.

...today, the fourth day in a row...which I seldom do but was up and raring to go...6.7 miles in about 49:30. Pace got slower after mile four for some strange reason, but I started faster than I should have for the distance.

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Ive been really sick...not much running.
    Have done about 20 miles this week.
    I got sick of my trails and wanted to find some real single track. Also, here in Illinois, its crazy flat, so training on hills is nearly impossible.
    I managed to find a secret gem of a place, isolated and forgotten that has both....
    I ran 8 miles in it yesterday (bad idea, I can hardly breathe today, but it was worth it. I am also insanely quad sore).
    Some very technical places (rocky, rooty, ice everywhere), steep ups and down.
    Some of the last pics, you can see the white ribbons of single track that wind down the hills and up the other side. There is nothing like this with in 50 miles of here.
    There was hardly any tracks (beside critters).
    Its only 20 min from my house!!!

Here are the pics.....

9. kgmessier

7.58 miles in 65:00 (avg. 8:35 min/mi)

Today's shuffle playlist:

Led Zeppelin - "We're Gonna Groove"
    N.E.R.D. - "Lapdance"
    Rush - "Between the Wheels"
    Robert Plant - "Burning Down One Side"
    Aerosmith - "Same Old Song and Dance"
    Tool - "Intolerance"
    The Beatles - "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
    Pink Floyd - "Hey You"
    Faith No More - "Surprise! You're Dead!"
    The Police - "Truth Hits Everybody"
    Black Sabbath - "Jack the Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots"
    Alice in Chains - "Check My Brain"
    Led Zeppelin - "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)"
    The Beatles - "Yesterday"
    Phish - "Split Open and Melt [Live]"

10. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

antirabbit, that looks like an awesome run. Being 20 minute from your house can only help, too.

Today I'm in unchartered territory: I've run each morning for the last five days, plus a long run last Sunday. I'm around 35 miles for the week (which is not as much as I'd like), but 1/3 of those miles were shorter, faster runs. 35 miles isn't new to me, but the speedwork is, as is the 5-days-in-a-row business.

Anyway, today was another speedy day: 4 miles in 28:54 (I think)

11. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

12. about11oclock

about11oclock Well-Known Member

Greetings all, been without internet for about a week.
    6.5 today, return to rolling hills went well after weeks of verrrrry flat terrain. Lookign forward to returning to NYC this week and getting dirty on some runs.

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

Only 2 miles, this morning. Temperature around 5 degrees. Will do 2-3 more this afternoon. I came across a website that had a list of tips for running in winter. It reminded me that I need to drink more water in the winter. Also, applying some Vaseline to the exposed areas of the face--cheeks, lips, nose--helps and makes a difference. http://gearist.com/

14. kgmessier

Only 2 miles, this morning. Temperature around 5 degrees. Will do 2-3 more this afternoon. I came across a website that had a list of tips for running in winter. It reminded me that I need to drink more water in the winter. Also, applying some Vaseline to the exposed areas of the face--cheeks, lips, nose--helps and makes a difference. http://gearist.com/

Oh, cool! Thanks for the link, man.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

What gear should I wear to run out in NYC winter weather?

16. occumKneemi

occumKneemi New Member

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

i just use the runnersworld "what should I wear" guide: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/what...-0-0-0,00.html [​IMG] its worked great for me. the only thing is that they'll have you wearing shorts even in 30º-35ºF weather, which can work when you get really warmed up , but sometimes its better just to be covered. as for shoes I run in my regular running shoes with merino wool socks (i use the darn tough cushioning socks that are thicker if its less than 20ºF and the normal mesh wool versions above into summer time. if its a NYRR race then i'll break out the shorts even if its freezing (because of all the people around you its actually warmer - like in a packed sports stadium during wintertime ) the races are only in the 4mile-10k range anyways.

18. NewYorkIslander

Dude, hit me up if you wanna run, we're neighbors for chrissakes! I wear a winter underarmour baselayer, then two thin Nike drill top type tops. If its below 40 I'll generally be in tights too.

Did 7 miles yesterday by the water, was freakin freezing running into that wind on the way home...wear glasses when its windy, keeps your eyes warm.

19. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Only did 5 but holy shit was it cold.

20. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

For winter running (Chicago area, on the lake), I wear:
    Mid-weight tights
    Compression boxers
    Darn Tough Merino wool socks
    Nike Running shorts
    Long sleeve zip next North Face mid-weight polypro shirt
    Running vest (Either North Face, Saucony, or Zoot)
    If its really cold, I will wear a fleece vest
    If its below zero, I wear a soft shell jacket
    Either Nike fleece or thin running gloves
    Depending on where I am running, either my Kinvaras or North Face fireroad shoes.

I do not like to over dress as I know after a mile or two I will be warm enough. If its windy, it gets tricky to nail what to wear. I do not like to take layers off.

Anyhow, today, I ran 3.5 miles @ 8% grade on the treadmill.....6.5 (8:30 min mile-ish) mph. My lungs needed another day inside. I have to say, that this treadmill workout was sick hard.