1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How long does it normally take you to make dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by merkur, Jul 10, 2011.

1. merkur

merkur Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

My manservant said appr 1hr.

3. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

anything from 10 minutes to 3 hours.

4. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

way too goddamned long.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

an hour or so most days.

6. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

An hour or so. If I'm just grilling fish and making a salad, it's super fast.

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

It really all depends on the dish.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Making some catfish right now...Prob 45 min tops!

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

an hour or so most days.
    ^ The same

10. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

It really all depends on the dish.

yep.

11. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Well-Known Member

Lately, we've been taking advantage of the good weather by way of firing up the Weber whenever possible. With that in mind, I usually go from mise to table in about 45-60 minutes. If I'm making a really special meal inside (generally the only time I cook a real meal instead of my wife), I can easily spend 2-3 hours, not including marinating, oven drying, and overnight preps. Those meals happen less than once a month, however.

12. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

However long it says on the box to run the microwave.

13. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

About an hour. Best thing you can do is wash dishes, pots, pans, cutting boards, etc, as you are cooking.

14. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Well-Known Member

Around 30 to 40 minutes most days. Rarely more, sometimes less.

15. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

About an hour. Best thing you can do is wash dishes, pots, pans, cutting boards, etc, as you are cooking.

This.

The only real meal I can do faster is pasta, which takes about 30 minutes.

Anything involving some kind of protein plus a separate carb, 1 hour....

16. youngScholar

youngScholar Well-Known Member

I'd say anything from a half hour to . . .

However long it says on the box to run the microwave.

17. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Well-Known Member

The girlfriend and I have been trying to "front-load" the cooking for the week as much as possible, meaning, for instance, we cook a very large portion on Monday, and eat it through Wednesday. Costco has been a god send in this regard.

For instance, we really like the Costco ground turkey as it's a lean protein and serves as a great vehicle for whatever flavors you feel like. It's sold in a 4 pack of ~24oz each for about $15, so it's a great bargain too. We'll usually buy one of those, and a big bag of broccoli florets (about $4).

On Monday, I'll take 2 24oz packs of ground turkey and make a turkey meatloaf - this comes out about 8 6oz servings. I'll also make some steamed rice. So, my prep time on Monday might be about 30min + 1-1.5hrs cook time. However, we can divvy this up into 8 meals (Monday dinner, Tuesday lunch, Tuesday dinner, Wednesday lunch) - 1 6oz portion of meatloaf, some rice, and a cup or so of broccoli (which we just microwave). Granted, they're not the most exciting meals, but they're inexpensive (about $1.50/serving), pretty tasty, and relatively low-cal (about 450-500 calories per serving).

I'll also do turkey patties (which can be used to make turkey burgers, or even just eaten as is).

Better yet, you can make turkey (or beef) chili in the slow cooker - prep time is like 15minutes (brown turkey w/ seasonings) and add to slow cooker with beans, tomatoes, chilis, etc.. Keep in fridge overnight, and then just turn it on in the morning before going to work - when you come home, it's all done - and it's about 6 servings worth of food. Similar concept works with pork shoulder or any other large piece of meat that requires long and slow cooking.

Of course, this only works if you don't mind eating the same thing several times in a row.

18. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Good poast.

I also found it's easier to eat the same thing several times in a row when I stopped bringing dinner leftovers to work for lunch the next day.

All I eat at work now are boiled eggs for breakfast, sandwich and chips for lunch, and snack on mixed nuts and whole milk if I need.

Save the hot meals for dinner.