1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How I lost weight

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by justinpba, Jul 24, 2009.

1. justinpba

justinpba Well-Known Member

Hi everybody. Recently I posted a suit for sale and stated I had lost a bunch of weight and it no longer fit. Several people pm'd me asking how I lost the weight, so I figured I'd make a post telling about my experience and figured others who have done it can post what they did too! Enjoy:
    I had starting getting out of shape a couple years ago and last summer had balloned to 235 during my wife's pregnancy (I'm 6'1"). After my daughter was born at the end of last year my wife asked me to join weight watchers online with her as she wanted to lose the baby weight. I always thought weight watchers was just for women, but figured why not give it a try. Keep in mind I work 8+hrs a day a watch my daughter while my wife's at work 8hrs a day too, so it is possible to lose weight with a packed schedule. My first weigh in was in december at 230 with a lofty (and I thought unrealistic) goal of 189! Through december (besides slipping several times during the holidays) until March I just followed the ww diet and dropped to about 210. In March I started walking 4 to 5 mi a day (great way to get the baby to nap). In April I started riding my bike to work (8 mi round trip) and doing pushups and crunches about 6 sets throughout my day. By June I weighed less than 200 and was starting to see definition I never thought I'd see again. In June we bought a treadmill, stopped walking and I started running 5-6 days a week while the baby napped upstairs and started doing some light dumbell stuff (curls and rows). I started off running 3 miles at 6mph and am now running 5-6 mi at 9-10mph. Today I'm about 185, almost have a six pack, dropped from sz 38 jeans to 32, from xl shirts to medium, from 44 jacket to 40, and have run 2 10ks and will be doing my first half soon. I still do weight watchers because it helps keep my portions in check, but I do cheat on Saturdays (I'm not perfect) and I also take a green tea supplement and fish oil. I'm not saying I'm in perfect shape or that this is the best or only way to go, but it's worked for me. To everybody else out there who's lost weight: Congrats! Let's hear how! And to those looking to: Good luck and I hope this helps![​IMG]

2. boozingalcoholic

boozingalcoholic Well-Known Member

I'm 5'6 and got to about 200 lbs in college. After leaving college, I focused on eating well - not necessarily cutting out calories but focusing on lighter meals. I did manage to eat a lot of turkey sandwiches. I stopped eating past 8 or 9. Oh yeah, and I stopped binge drinking! I am now at 150 pounds (over a year now) and dropped from a 36 to a 31.

It's easy if you want it.

3. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Well-Known Member

I stopped binge drinking!

bingo

4. justinpba

justinpba Well-Known Member

I have to say cutting back on my drinking helped me as well. I learned early on that babies don't give a shit if you have a hangover.

5. indy116

indy116 Well-Known Member

Eating right and exercising! Good job [​IMG]

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

congratulations man

7. jaac

jaac Well-Known Member

Props. Jumping on the "loosing weight isn't that hard" bandwagon.

8. nekromansur

nekromansur Member

What about them skin flaps? I jumped down a good 60 pounds or so over the course of a few years and I got stuck with more layers than bedsheets.

9. kontai69

kontai69 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the weight loss. You show that even with a career and a kid that it is still possible to find the time and motivation to lose weight. Alot of people use those two factors as an excuse not to take care of themselves.
    I personally lost almost 25lbs (dropped 5 pants sizes) by greatly cutting sugar and eating healthier in general. I eat only chicken or fish, hardly any red meats. I don't eat any candy, pies, cookies, cake, or any other junk like that at all. No more sugared soft drinks. No more fatty foods. I also exercise (jog, hike, resistance training) four to five days a week.

10. wahwho11

wahwho11 Well-Known Member

What about them skin flaps? I jumped down a good 60 pounds or so over the course of a few years and I got stuck with more layers than bedsheets.

your body should eventually fix the skin flaps as it adapts to the body shape.

11. Token

Token Member

I'm doing WeightWatchers as well. Went from 230 in Jan to 195 in July. No exercising... just all portion control. Love their on-line tracking tools.

12. nomed

nomed Well-Known Member

I drink 6 pack a night and i'm not a fatty..... yet

13. ohm

ohm Well-Known Member

I drink 6 pack a night and i'm not a fatty..... yet

Follow your dreams and you can achieve your goals.

14. th0rbahn

th0rbahn Well-Known Member

congratulations, sounds like you did a lot of right things. there are very few people in need of some weight loss who couldn't benefit from at least some of your methods.

15. shasta

shasta Well-Known Member

figured I'd jump in and join the fun.

Freshman year of college (8 years ago now) I gained 30 pounds, and balooned to 220. I am 5'7". I then went on a 4 month period of "self acutalization" and by the beginning of sophomore year, lost 70 pounds. Man it was fun being 150, wearing small everything, and size 29 jeans.

Maintained that weight through school, but then got into the real world and subsequently went back to 220. Welcome back to large everything, and size 36 jeans. I was that heavy for about 3 years, until last October, when I gave myself a heart to heart talk and since then, have got the weight back in check down to 180. Still high from historical lows, but within striking distance of the goal weight (170-175).

Anyway, I've bought and rebought my entirewardrobe 3 times now, and I'm done with it. Everyday, I wake up, look at the investment I've put into my closet, and basically tell myself not to "F" it up.

And to the guy who said he drinks a 6 pack a night - I also did that for 3 years in college with no affect on my weight, but I was walking 3 miles round trip to my off campus house and working out for an hour daily - so that bascially negated the liquid diet.

You can't live your life in fear but at the end of the day, it's simple. spend more calories than you consume, and you'll lose weight. That is what has worked for me both times on the way down.

16. Ruppan

Ruppan Member

About 4 months ago, I started a solo practice. I had never really been fat by American standards, but I wasn't anything to behold with my shirt off. I'm about 5'7" and weighed in the high 160s. Starting the business left me really tired everyday, and I knew that I needed more energy. Also, I met a very cute girl whose attention I was trying to get.

I started off by doing crunches and pushups at home. The only piece of equipment that I had was the perfect pushup bars. I did both fanatically every night until I reached a plateau in their effectiveness, which took me about a month. A friend advised me to do some cardio to help develop my abs so I bought a jump rope and started doing that for about 30 minutes to an hour everyday. Soon after that I started noticing much better definition in my abs.

After working out everyday for a little over a month, I started to gradually change my eating habits. I started eating smaller meals and I didn't put fixed times on when I would eat. I eat when I'm hungry now, but I never eat until I'm full. I just try to maintain a happy stomach all the time.

After 2 months, I started hitting the gym with my friends. I use their guest passes or end up just paying the fee for a guess pass. It's so much better when you can work out with someone. I hate going to the gym alone and find much more motivation to push myself beyond my limits when with someone.

Over these last 4 months, I've lost 20+ pounds and downsized from a 34 to 32 waist. Before this time period, I hadn't worked out in a decade. I feel much more confident in my appearance and in general. For me, the key was making some form of exercise a part of my daily routine, and you just keep building from there.

17. BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

I've wondered about WW as well. I have a friend who does the nutri system diet and he really likes it. I was thinking about trying that.

Wish I could say loosing weigt is easy. I have a really hard time loosing weight.

18. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Losing weight isn't rocket science. Eat meats/fish and vegetables and very little bread and grain. Cut out alcohol, soft drinks and other sugary treats while you try to lose weight.

I don't buy into the carbs are evil stuff - but breads and rice (etc.) are high-calorie for a given amount. A cup of broccoli is like 50 calories, a cup of white rice is over 250 I think.

That's all it is. Stick to vegetables and proteins and you'll lose weight. That's why paleo diets work well (IMO) - you'd make yourself sick on broccoli and spinach before you could overeat (calorie-wise).

19. kakemono

kakemono Well-Known Member

I went from
    150 sophmore year high school
    200 senior year high school
    220 Junior Year College
    155 Senior Year College
    210 Graduated College
    195 Right now

It has been all portion control. I am dropping weight pretty quickly right now. Also, finding fun stuff to exersize doing is great. For me, it is tennis, soccer, and disc golf. I played disc golf almost every day after work. Tennis 3 times a week. I joined an adult soccer league. Pound shed off me. The 15 lb drop has been mostly due to portion control - I havent started exersizing yet...

20. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

you must have discipline....

Wrong.

The only thing I must have is chocolate!