1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How high are you supposed to wear suit pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cayne-Abel, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Jay687

Jay687 Well-Known Member

It depends on the pants IMO. You should wear them how they are meant to be worn. If you have low rise pants, don't try wearing them high, you'll look ridiculous with the pants riding up your ass.

Ultimately, I like them above my hip bone (illiac crest area), the way it was described above.

However, I think there is an important way to wear the pants to be most comfortable:

The thing about wearing your pants at your true waist/hips/illiac crest (or higher) is that your stomach gets in the way. Doesn't anyone else find this a problem? I'm not talking if you have a fat stomach, I have 30" waist and low bodyfat, but pants that fit at my "true waist" get in the way of my breathing. To get around this problem, I wear the front of my pants a tad lower. It's similar to the way in which I wear my hip belt when backpacking. The hip belt goes over your true hip bones/illiac crest, but so you can breath, the front of the belt goes lower.

Personally, that problem is also why I do like wearing low rise jeans and stuff because I actually feel it's a bit more natural feeling sometimes.

But regardless, no idea how people wear anything directly over their stomach. Unless you wear them loose with suspenders. That's about the only way.

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

As a tailor mentioned, I don't know why your navel would be the point of reference, everyone's navel is in a different position relatively to the hip bone. FWIW, the width of my trouser waist band covers my hip bones on both sides, with the top of my pants hovering just above my hip bone. This is about 1.5+ inches below my navel. If I pulled pants up to my navel, I would need a 12+" rise and add 30 years to my age.

3. detroiter

detroiter Well-Known Member

You are saying every black man in Detroit that's older than 30 is gay? They all wear dry-cleaned jeans with Stacy Adams or Mauri gators[​IMG]

How would you know? I live in the city of detroit, and they dont. Its rock and republic jeans or true religion jeans, and prada high tops, with a v neck polo sweater. Only guys over 50 wear mauri's anymore. Now its all Pradas and guccis.

4. teddieriley

I live in the city of detroit.

My condolences. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

How would you know? I live in the city of detroit, and they dont. Its rock and republic jeans or true religion jeans, and prada high tops, with a v neck polo sweater. Only guys over 50 wear mauri's anymore. Now its all Pradas and guccis.

Maybe if you didn't spend all of your money on tacky brand clothes you could afford a better neighborhood.

6. detroiter

I can afford a better neighborhood. I choose to live here. I work in private equity guy I can easily live anywhere I want.

7. patrickBOOTH

Just goes to show you that you can't "buy" good taste.

8. detroiter

Just goes to show, you have no idea what I dress like, or wear.

9. patrickBOOTH

Just goes to show, you have no idea what I dress like, or wear.

I am in business casual right now as it is friday. My wardrobe consists of a ralph lauren polo shirt, some armani black label slacks, ferragamo belt, and some bruno magli sorta slip on type shoes with rubber soles, ultra comfortable.

Some idea.

10. detroiter

True, I should go buy a sport coat, and look super dapper.

11. lou

lou Well-Known Member

12. detroiter

Just showed those to a few girls, they said those guys looked gay.

13. teddieriley

Then you'd be in good, like company.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I work in private equity guy I can easily live anywhere I want.

In a forum sparring match, once a participant makes reference to salary, refers to something different as 'gay' (without a hint of sarcasm) and/or calls an opponent "guy, bro, chief," etc., it's just plain sad on so many levels.

Nicely done, detroiter.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

16. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

It's sad but true. Gucci and Prada have run the real shoes (EG, Lobb, Santoni, etc.) out of town.
    Quality menswear has been replaced with sagging jeans from Rock, Republic, True Religion, etc.
    You can blame it Fila shoes ,Coogi sweathers and other brands held in high regard in young urban fashion.

17. detroiter

In a forum sparring match, once a participant makes reference to salary, refers to something different as 'gay' (without a hint of sarcasm) and/or calls an opponent "guy, bro, chief," etc., it's just plain sad on so many levels.

Nicely done, detroiter.

What are you talking about? You must be on drugs. Reference to salary. I could be an analyst for a lower mid market fund or a MD for TPG you moron, I said what industry, not what level or what type of firm. I could make anywhere from 60k- 60 million a year. You sir, are gay.

Wtf says sparring match anyway, you fake english fuck. "sparring" "chap" I mean wtf, talk like a damn american. In america we call people gay, and guy or bro, not chap, and we fight, we dont spar, you fruitcake.

Jesus H Christ.

18. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Well-Known Member

detroiter..you are soo, so cool. can you tell me more about your fashions?