1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How does one work 50+ hours a week?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by longskate88, Aug 8, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Work should be a martini lunch with a nice cigarette afterwards; the most stressful thing should be picking what shirt to wear.

2. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Work should be a martini lunch with a nice cigarette afterwards; the most stressful thing should be picking what shirt to wear.

If I plan right and work hard at this whole law thing, maybe make some savvy investments, my dream is to open a brewery or brew pub. [​IMG]

Then work really would be a drinking lunch with a cigarette afterwards- outside, of course, because of Philadelphia's smoking laws.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

hey luftvier,

I'm free for lunch monday and tuesday next week if you would like to meet the man behind the screen.

I'm in Hamilton NJ, and i see your in Philly, i'm sure we could split the difference.

You can learn what i'm all about, and we could talk about your plans for a brewery pub

Edit: I;d like to extend this offer to anyone in the NJ/Philly area who ethier disagrees with me or otherwise who is interested in meeting the man behind the screen.
    Brian

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I like this quote:

The funny thing about success is that during the process of achieving it, everyone tells you you're out of your mind, and criticizes you, but thats fine they live in fear, i do not.

It is good to believe that anyone that does not agree with you lives in fear. It gives you the proper perspective [​IMG]

I would also like to attend the "parties" where sub-contractors hang out. I mean, one night I was kicking it with some bottle service, and it turns out the waitress was a sub-contractor. BOOM! Negotiation to have 2 billion units made in China and assembled in Mexico!

Many people work long hours and never become financially secure. Few people become financially secure by working 40 hour weeks. Fewer small business owners build a viable business in 40 hours or under per week. Many well paid career paths start out with heavy hours that pave the way to far less drudgery and far more money than 90% of the population will ever earn.

Do I think there are a bunch of late 30/early 40 pulling 80 weeks at white collar/professsional jobs? Nah. Do I think many of them did in their 20s? For sure.

I wonder how many self-made men live with their parents though?

5. micbain

micbain Well-Known Member

The part you underestimated is the 14 hour assumption. 9am to 1 or 2am (5 days a week) is a common occurence in some highly demanding jobs (e.g. banking analyst). Plus 10-15 hours over the weekend. (17 x 5) + 15 = 85 + 15 = 100

If you consider the occasional allnighter (which means probably 35-40 hours in a row), you can see that, although 100 hrs is definitely not an average week (I would say it is closer to 80), it happens more often than you think.

What exactly do i-bankers do that requires 80-100 hr work week? I'm sure its an intense and stressful job but c'mon now - 100 hours? That's just crazy.

Averaging 50-60 hours a week is very comfortable but beyond 80 means giving up your life. That's eat, work, and maybe sleep?

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

What exactly do i-bankers do that requires 80-100 hr work week? I'm sure its an intense and stressful job but c'mon now - 100 hours? That's just crazy.

Very simply, they do the job that 1.5 or 2 guys should do. It's a cyclical industry and banks are notorious for under-hiring. There is a reason why they're paid twice what another college graduate would make in a normal corporate job - there is no magic in the numbers.

Again, 100 hrs is far from an average week for a junior banker. But I would say that working from 9am to 11pm or midnight from Monday to Friday + 5-10 hours over the weekend is a standard banking analyst (or junior associate) week. Those who want and take these jobs know what they're getting into btw.

7. lifersfc

lifersfc Well-Known Member

I like this quote:

It is good to believe that anyone that does not agree with you lives in fear. It gives you the proper perspective [​IMG]

I would also like to attend the "parties" where sub-contractors hang out. I mean, one night I was kicking it with some bottle service, and it turns out the waitress was a sub-contractor. BOOM! Negotiation to have 2 billion units made in China and assembled in Mexico!

Many people work long hours and never become financially secure. Few people become financially secure by working 40 hour weeks. Fewer small business owners build a viable business in 40 hours or under per week. Many well paid career paths start out with heavy hours that pave the way to far less drudgery and far more money than 90% of the population will ever earn.

Do I think there are a bunch of late 30/early 40 pulling 80 weeks at white collar/professsional jobs? Nah. Do I think many of them did in their 20s? For sure.

I wonder how many self-made men live with their parents though?

+1

8. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

Very simply, they do the job that 1.5 or 2 guys should do. It's a cyclical industry and banks are notorious for under-hiring. There is a reason why they're paid twice what another college graduate would make in a normal corporate job - there is no magic in the numbers. Again, 100 hrs is far from an average week for a junior banker. But I would say that working from 9am to 11pm or midnight from Monday to Friday + 5-10 hours over the weekend is a standard banking analyst (or junior associate) week. Those who want and take these jobs know what they're getting into btw.
    and it's a horribly inefficient system where you may sit at your desk and do nothing all day and not leave early for the fear that other people will realize you've been doing nothing all day. or sometimes you stay late because why not get a nice seamlessweb delivery out of it. or sometimes it's a friday at 6 and someone drops something ridiculous on your desk and needs it ASAP instead of asking for it at 9am. some people become great at gaming the system like the analyst in my class years ago that did yoga during the day or went shopping only to come back at night and show how hard working she was. good times. of course i'm just talking about the down times and not the brutal weeks where it seems like it just won't stop.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

and it's a horribly inefficient system where you may sit at your desk and do nothing all day and not leave early for the fear that other people will realize you've been doing nothing all day. or sometimes you stay late because why not get a nice seamlessweb delivery out of it. or sometimes it's a friday at 6 and someone drops something ridiculous on your desk and needs it ASAP instead of asking for it at 9am. some people become great at gaming the system like the analyst in my class years ago that did yoga during the day or went shopping only to come back at night and show how hard working she was. good times. of course i'm just talking about the down times and not the brutal weeks where it seems like it just won't stop.
    There are inefficiencies and organizational problems in every company and every sector. You've highlighted the ones that are often experienced by banking analysts but, after a few months and a little experience, people become better at communicating, managing up and working more efficiently. The seamlessweb comment is funny but I don't think there are many analysts who stick around and forego a (rare) free evening out of the office in exchange for $25 worth of free food... The ones who do should revisit their priorities.

10. haganah

There are inefficiencies and organizational problems in every company and every sector. You've highlighted the ones that are often experienced by banking analysts but, after a few months and a little experience, people become better at communicating, managing up and working more efficiently. The seamlessweb comment is funny but I don't think there are many analysts who stick around and forego a (rare) free evening out of the office in exchange for $25 worth of free food... The ones who do should revisit their priorities.
    I'm still in the industry and I know you are as well. I think if you really look around, you can't deny the seamless web thing...some kids are really THAT annoying.

11. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Piss in my Cheerios kid and I'll shit all over your dinner plate and I'll do it for fun much to your chagrin.

Veronica Moser has made a very good living for herself eating this type of dinner, although she says she loves what she does so it's not really work to her.

I include a nice siesta after the martini lunch, it may have to due with my latin heritage, I feel it helps me unwind. Shirt picking is not that stressful for me, choosing the right buttonaire on the other hand.......

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'm still in the industry and I know you are as well. I think if you really look around, you can't deny the seamless web thing...some kids are really THAT annoying.
    I'm not saying they don't exist, just that (thankfully) there are not that many. There is no doubt that masochism exists in this world.

13. edmorel

Why isn't Chipotle on seamless web?

14. haganah

Why isn't Chipotle on seamless web?
    I dont know why people love chipotle. There are 4 items on the menu and qdoba beats it hands down. Blockheads is on seamless and I think you even get 20% off on there but I don't know if they still have that. Plus the chipotle girls don't compare to the qdoba ones if you go for that sort of thing, which, let's be honest, we all should.

15. edmorel

I dont know why people love chipotle. There are 4 items on the menu and qdoba beats it hands down. Blockheads is on seamless and I think you even get 20% off on there but I don't know if they still have that. Plus the chipotle girls don't compare to the qdoba ones if you go for that sort of thing, which, let's be honest, we all should.

Yeah, Qdoba's got the girls, no doubt, but they are not the ones delivering the food. Never had Blockheads, I hate the name and I hate buying food in places where they are giving discounts. Chipotle adds juniper berries to it's pork. They also identify which employee had a hand in the day's rice or guag or barbacoa, by having them wear t-shirts that say as much, and I find that productive.

16. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah, Qdoba's got the girls, no doubt, but they are not the ones delivering the food. Never had Blockheads, I hate the name and I hate buying food in places where they are giving discounts. Chipotle adds juniper berries to it's pork. They also identify which employee had a hand in the day's rice or guag or barbacoa, by having them wear t-shirts that say as much, and I find that productive.

I liked Chipotle more than Qdoba up until the recent bought of food poisoning mentioned earlier in this thread.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

How many hours per week do you think the average worker at Chipotle puts in?

18. haganah

There are crayon drawings of a sockpuppet all over one of the blockheads I've actually sat at. Sometimes they do weird things like put rice inside quesadillas. The more I think about that, the more I get angry. But I don't want anyone's berries touching my food so Chipotle, no way, too gay, as they say, in the month of may. Yay.

19. CTGuy

CTGuy Well-Known Member

How many hours per week do you think the average worker at Chipotle puts in?

Probably at least 60+ if they want to be successful.

20. randallr

randallr Well-Known Member

Arnach, what do you do that you enjoy so much? I'm curious.