1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How do your friends dress

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Lel, Aug 24, 2009.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

When I'm home, I'm around Kelv, Get Smart, Shell, and Capt. Jack & Coke Zero. Baller case closed.

Rye just likes to watch.

2. Stillblade

Stillblade Well-Known Member

My peoples definitely aren't into style as much... mostly the faded t-shirt, shorts, flip-flop/beat up sneaker combo. When we do something kinda relatively fancy, a polo/dress shirt and some cheaper jeans. Ex-best friend used to dress really douchey, Affliction shirts/Prada shades/G-Star jeans, etc. but still different from what the rest of the comrades rock. One of my friends dresses kinda feminine hipster-ish, skinny jeans with boot-tuck + scoop necks or tank tops. Another one of my friends is a complete Urban Outfitters hipster lol which is weird because her personality is not hipsterish at all. Honestly I'm kinda a lazy dresser when I'm around the main crew myself... V-neck + APC NS + old ass Alifes/Nikes even though my closet is full of fly shit -_-

My brother on the other hand spends like ALL his money on clothes. Kinda addicted. Japanese streetwear mostly... Neighborhood, Visvim and some Prada, Dolce, etc. He also collects outdoor apparel... Patagonia, Arc'teryx, etc. We talk about recent purchases once in a while but our styles are kind of different so not much.

As for the second question, I get a lot of flak for my sneaker collection (30+... always was and still am kinda an ISSer TBH) but that's about it.

3. chunkmo

chunkmo Well-Known Member

None of my friends dress particularly well, but this winter i've stepped it up a bit and i think they've noticed. One of them has started to buy more stuff and he's copying my cologne collection. Still dresses very 'Australian young 20 something' though. Plaid hoodie, plain vneck, black skinnies and volleys.

Another one wears random mall brand stuff with graphic tees. Although after one drunken night i started blabbing about raw denim and i think i got him interested in buying a pair so who knows...

They mostly think i'm nuts for spending so much - My cousin in the US especially. My parents fly to the US each year so sometimes i send stuff sent to her house for my parents to pick up, where of course, they see the receipts. I don't discuss prices with most of my friends, but occasionally they'll comment on how expensive everything looks.

4. Pinhas

Pinhas Well-Known Member

Out of my 3 closest friends, two dress well, with one being a bit more fashion concious (about as I am) while the second cares slighly less but still got into raw denim once I introduced them both to APC and other raw brands.

Third one is a lost cause; camo print cargos, AX gear and sweat pants.

5. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

Almost every guy in my group dresses differently, as far as girls go they are either Forever21 style or A&F/coach stuff. Its ok and when I do dress nicely they comment on it and a couple of them know I do buy expensive stuff buy numbers are never revealed.
    Honestly I'm kinda a lazy dresser when I'm around the main crew myself... V-neck + APC NS + old ass Alifes/Nikes even though my closet is full of fly shit -_-
    This pretty much...

6. slack tide

slack tide Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bump here, but very interesting read/thread..

7. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Well-Known Member

I think my friends care about how they look, but probably not to the point where they look for specific brands or clothing. A while ago, a friend of mine was looking for a new pair of shoes. Preferably under $90. Not just for work, but for all the time. So he has one pair of shoes. He can more than afford to buy a better wardrobe, I just don't think it matters that much too him. Recently I went out for a meal with them after a some of them went to see a movie. I was wearing a sport shirt under a jacket, slim khakis, simple grey sneakers. Since my shirt is a bit long, I felt it looked sloppy under my jacket, so I tucked it in. When I saw one of my friends he said "ooh, your dressed up!". Not in a condescending way, more of in a surprised way. I looked down at what I was wearing and said "really?". So right now, I think I'm the best dressed out of my friends, although that's not really saying much.

8. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Well-Known Member

My friends from work: Not much to go by here since we are always in suits. Most of them have fairly high quality suits with good tailoring.

My friends from back in Uni: We had a reunion just recently, most still dress like garbage. They're improving though. It's only taken them idk 25ish years since we graduated lol.

Friends outside of work: Mixed bag.

My female friends love my style, where as my male friends think I spend way too much time and money on my image.

9. chroMe

chroMe Well-Known Member

No idea, it's all about me

10. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

11. max-t

max-t Well-Known Member

12. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

My friends dress like white people

Lol - and what does that mean?

13. dinogj

dinogj Well-Known Member

My friends are split into two camps. I have a bunch of the most kindhearted and blissfully ignorant guidos for friends at home where its ed hardy everything (which i dont mind cause it means i can pull off some more colorful stuff around them and not feel like a sore thumb)

And then at school its all frat-bros with popped collars....oyy

my friends are douchbags and I love it.

14. wootx

wootx Well-Known Member

lol why do i always misread "how your dumb friends dress"?

15. Wupper

Wupper Well-Known Member

I don't have any friends.

16. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Depends where my friends are based. It's dependent quite a bit on where you grew up / live

17. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

MOST of my friends do dress well, when we were in highschool however it was a different story. We all wore baggy clothes, this was a hip hop influence of course. Now we are almost 30 and have changed drastically over the years.

Out of my circle, I think I'm the most self aware of how I dress. Only one friend who is 23 dresses sloppy.

18. Amelorn

Amelorn Well-Known Member

From my campus in the UK: American friends: ~The whatever fits crowd(1). Battered sneakers, jeans, sweatpants, and T-shirts. For some reason, they let the waistband of their Hanes boxer-briefs or generic boxers show. Nothing to show off, really. ~The somewhat nicer crowd(2): Better, newer, and trendier sneakers. Jeans in more recent fits and washes. Maybe a PRL belt. Calvin klein BB's. ~Better yet(3). In jeans, a variety of shoes (desert boots, oxfords), colorful socks. Button down shirts paired with a cashmere sweater. Shirts are PRL or from a better anchor store (Nordstrom, Bloomingdales) ~The private and prep school crowd(4): Khakis (PRL, Brooks, or J. Crew mostly). PRL or Lacoste Polo shirts. Topsiders. Cole Haan loafers/driving mocs. UK friends: ~1: Much the same, although they will have proper casual and formal shoes for going out. They'll be cheap, synthetic, and a bit worn looking, but it's miles better than the average slob. ~2: Levi's jeans (BIG status symbol for Brits...even basic fits START at $95). Leather shoes. Name brands appear here, such as Hugo Boss cologne or Canterbury of New Zealand casual-wear. ~3: Shoes from the likes of Kurt Geiger. RL streetwear. The odd Jack Wills piece. There is a convergence here with American #3 ~4a: The tweed crowd. Decent gents on their own but inadvertently insufferable and clique'ish in numbers. This is what the trad forum guys on Ask Andy are dying to be. ~4b: Businesswear will be very high end in both shoes and suits. The suits are bespoke, and the shoes are magnificent. Casualwear is very "American" as it's often pieces picked up on holiday and resembles American prep, although markedly more accepting of denim and brighter colors than you'd find at Brooks or RL. What do we all have in common? At least one pair of CK boxer-briefs. (This information courtesy of low/mid-rise trousers and full rise undies)

19. Quixotic

Quixotic Well-Known Member

1. I've been really into bikes for awhile now (BMX for 10 years, track for 5, road for 3) so most of my friends are bike riders. They all dress relatively poorly/hipstery/graphic tees. Clothing for most bike riders is purely functional. There are some decent brands that make wearable shit, but I'm not into it.

2. They think I'm fucking insane. When they find out the amount I spend in retail stores/on eBay they think I'm crazy. I can't really justify to it to them besides the fact I find it fun. I just tell them I like creating particular aesthetics and they shrug. I can't recall the number of times I've been called a faggot for wearing oxfords.

Needless to say, I only hang out with my girlfriend.

20. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

My friends are split...some dress good enough(Banana Republic, JCrew, Brooks Bros, fairly fitted basics) and some dress horrible(oversized branded mall bullshit). A few are still stuck in the high school Hollister/Abecrombie/American Eagle crap and wear undershirts under everything with cargo shorts and flip flops. A couple have started to pay more attention to their appearances after I started to do the same.

All agree that I spend way too much on clothing(I don't tell them...they looked my shit up online).
    I constantly get remarks that "your pants are too tight" or gay comments. But, that's what you get when you live in fucking Roanoke, Virginia and all your friends are medical students.