1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How do you talk to girls in the supermarket line?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by dusty, Apr 3, 2006.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

I don't think that story is any more likely to work on another human being than Shake'n'bake is to on anything.

The goal is talk about not so logical and different things. No how are you and BS and how was your grocery shopping OK? She gets it all the time.

Girls do not care what you say to them (as long as it is not logical), as long as the tonality of your voice and body language is cool.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Not always. I have a friend who's technique is best described as "strafing the crowd." Not that effective, from what I've seen.

does he use the wasd configuration? Sorry... [​IMG]

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

compliment her melons

compare your cucumber[​IMG]

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

does he use the wasd configuration? Sorry... [​IMG]

LMAO! No wonder I could never do that well, I always remap to the numeric keypad [​IMG]

5. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

The goal is talk about not so logical and different things. No how are you and BS and how was your grocery shopping OK? She gets it all the time.

Girls do not care what you say to them (as long as it is not logical), as long as the tonality of your voice and body language is cool.

Milano has the right idea here. What you want to do is not to say something necessarily witty but different (wit requires some logic and she may not get it, also you don't want her to "think" but have some sort of emotional response to you). Sometime's being "different" requires being silly or borderline weird. However, in a social interaction, if you do it with confident body language and without seeming to care about her reactions, you'll get great results.

The shake and bake contest thing will work great as long as the delivery is good. If you do it confidently and don't come across as *trying* to be funny or with the goal of entertaining her, then she'll respond warmly. If it seems like your'e trying to impress, she'll close up and start to think "this guy is hitting on me." When that happens, you'll lose in this interaction.

Another example. When you were kinda out of it and she turned to you, you could've done something like this: Totally disregard her comment and pretend you didn't hear what she said. Look at her, hand her whatever stuff you were buying, and say something like "I just remembered I forgot to get the chocolate milk!" Then walk confidently away (don't run, make her wait). When she's there holding your groceries, she'll be thinking about you.
    'This guy is interesting.' 'This guy must be pretty confident to make me hold his groceries.' 'I'm a hot girl, why am I holding this stranger's stuff?' 'I love chocolate milk too, that's cute.'
    When you come back with the chocolate milk she'll already have a great emotional opinion of you and you can seg into the typical getting to know you stuff. Or you can keep the game going, your choice. Either way, she's made a physical connection to your stuff, and an emotional connection to your actions. (BTW, I've found that making girls hold your belongings works really well in many situations).

In short, the way you act is going to always matter more than what you say. Don't afraid to be silly or strange as long as you back it up with confidence. Act like you don't care what happens in the interaction (although actually not caring is even better). The best social interactions occur out the blue and not because one side is forcing it. If you can get into the frame of mind that can allow this to happen, things happen naturally from there. If it fails...so what? You still have your chocolate milk.

6. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

Not always. I have a friend who's technique is best described as "strafing the crowd." Not that effective, from what I've seen.

Thats typically what I do [​IMG] . A walkthrough once or twice to see who is out there and then pinpoint who I think may be worth the time and effort. I try to maximize my returns. Sure its not 100% but it has worked so far.

The grocery line I think is a toughy because what is the goal of talking to the "hot girl" in line? If it is to ask her out, a grocery line is a very short time to seal the deal. Wouldn't it be better to approach the person before they even reach the line? Of course you don't want to look like you are stalking them but casuallly fake buying something in the same area as them isn't a crime.